Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 8, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #797 of 7,191
Hello,
Does anyone have an approximate comparison of sound quality to the DT770? Mine always starts crackling with bass in the left speaker. I know what the problem is but I'm sick of fixing it. Thought the Penrose might be a better option for all-round use (music, games, movies, long wear times).

Nov 8, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #798 of 7,191
I see many here are console gamers but wondering how these are for gaming in general. How do they stack up against high-end headsets in general? Do they perform better than headphones not made specificly for gaming?
You've not asked what they are specifically better for, but the general answer is:

Gaming headsets tend to be RGB/design/comfort focused, and then tuned for things like footsteps and voice comms. All of this comes at the expense of clarity, tonality and timbre of the headphone, and that will be a night-and-day experience with music and movies.

This is usually done quite aggressively and within a v-shaped and bass boosted signature. The more neutral a headphone is, the less this is of an issue.

Take a look at Mobius reviews to get an idea of what the Penrose offers, but it is safe to say no other wireless headset comes close in terms of general performance. If you're looking at premium wireless headsets, I wouldn't touch anything else, and you do have the option of EQ settings for shooters, though I'd not recommend anything other than default and music (particularly music).

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #801 of 7,191
Have been using Razer's headphones these days (brother-in-law is a Razer's fan)... OMG...How I wish my Penrose was already here and how I hope it sounds like my old Mobius. Glad the Penrose also doesn't have all these RGB. But an RGB on the mic to show Mute/Unmute is a nice touch that I would like the Penrose to have.

Nov 9, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #802 of 7,191
You've not asked what they are specifically better for, but the general answer is:

Gaming headsets tend to be RGB/design/comfort focused, and then tuned for things like footsteps and voice comms. All of this comes at the expense of clarity, tonality and timbre of the headphone, and that will be a night-and-day experience with music and movies.

This is usually done quite aggressively and within a v-shaped and bass boosted signature. The more neutral a headphone is, the less this is of an issue.

Take a look at Mobius reviews to get an idea of what the Penrose offers, but it is safe to say no other wireless headset comes close in terms of general performance. If you're looking at premium wireless headsets, I wouldn't touch anything else, and you do have the option of EQ settings for shooters, though I'd not recommend anything other than default and music (particularly music).

Thanks for the reply! Its especially the "Tuned for footsteps" that is interesting. Can this be achieved on neutral headphones as well through EQ? I guess this is how technologies like "SBX Scout Mode" works. Boosting certain frequencies? Just thinking if i should buy these for gaming or look at non gaming headphones in the higher end.

Nov 9, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #803 of 7,191
Thanks for the reply! Its especially the "Tuned for footsteps" that is interesting. Can this be achieved on neutral headphones as well through EQ? I guess this is how technologies like "SBX Scout Mode" works. Boosting certain frequencies? Just thinking if i should buy these for gaming or look at non gaming headphones in the higher end.
I mean in terms of similar alternatives, you could take a look at the HIFIMAN Sundara and the Drop x HIFIMAN HE5XX, though they're both open back and wired.

In terms of a console experience, you're going to get more out of a lossless wireless solution unless you're prepared to run a cable to a decent amp. A cheaper alternative might be the AKG K371, which would run fine off most sources.

Nov 9, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #804 of 7,191
I mean in terms of similar alternatives, you could take a look at the HIFIMAN Sundara and the Drop x HIFIMAN HE5XX, though they're both open back and wired.

In terms of a console experience, you're going to get more out of a lossless wireless solution unless you're prepared to run a cable to a decent amp. A cheaper alternative might be the AKG K371, which would run fine off most sources.

Thats definetely a plus as well, lossless wireless for console gaming. Kinda more interested in closed headphones right now cause i have a bit of noise around me.

Nov 9, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #808 of 7,191
Latest shipping update:

B74Dkzj.png

Nov 9, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #810 of 7,191
Wonder how that latest update affects UK orders - I had read these were being shipped direct from the country of manufacture to the UK - if that firmware upgrade is needed though will all shipments be handled from the US.

Thinking it might we the last week in November before the PS versions arrive in the UK after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back