Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 6, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #767 of 7,191
I just rang hifiheadphones and they're still saying they're expecting them in 3rd week of November

I suppose what we have to consider from UK/intl perspective is that all the information Audeze has given is for US.

Adding a week or 2 onto their official details is probably a safe bet.

I e-mailed yesterday asking if they had a stock-in date for the Penrose, but yet to receive a response. I'm still hopeful Penrose could be in-hand by the time PS5 launches here in the UK (3rd week in Nov, funnily enough haha).

Nov 6, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #772 of 7,191
Hey friends - I'm new to the Audeze / Planar headphone space, and new Xbox Series X owner. What's the consensus on whether Penrose X will be premium sounding enough for casual music/movie use? Understanding these are a console-first product, will these still sound good enough that I'd want to use them in other contexts?

Nov 6, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #773 of 7,191
Hey friends - I'm new to the Audeze / Planar headphone space, and new Xbox Series X owner. What's the consensus on whether Penrose X will be premium sounding enough for casual music/movie use? Understanding these are a console-first product, will these still sound good enough that I'd want to use them in other contexts?

They will sound good. There is always a noticeable difference between buying from a company that is specialized in making high quality audio products versus companies that happen to also make a product that produces audio.

Nov 6, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #776 of 7,191

I'm expecting the quality to be about as good as you're going to get from a wireless headset. As to whether that is premium enough sounding to you, will probably depend on what your standards are. If you're used to a pair of Focal Clear headphones for example, these probably aren't going to sound good by comparison, but if you're used to your average gaming headset these should be plenty premium.

Nov 7, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #777 of 7,191
Any idea if these are worth grabbing if I have the Arctis 7 Wireless? Mainly PC gaming and usage but the audio quality on the Arctis leave some things to be desired.

I also have the PS5 coming in next week so was wondering if the Penrose would be worth replacing the Arctis 7 with. However I'm hearing that they have pretty bad battery? Kind of disappointing on that end.

Also does the chat mix work when the Penrose is being used on the PC? For example, controlling my discord chat separate from my game audio.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #778 of 7,191
Any idea if these are worth grabbing if I have the Arctis 7 Wireless? Mainly PC gaming and usage but the audio quality on the Arctis leave some things to be desired.

I also have the PS5 coming in next week so was wondering if the Penrose would be worth replacing the Arctis 7 with. However I'm hearing that they have pretty bad battery? Kind of disappointing on that end.

Also does the chat mix work when the Penrose is being used on the PC? For example, controlling my discord chat separate from my game audio.
It's not so much a bad battery as it is a more power hungry headphone driver, though I assume they're trying to keep the weight down for the same reason.

If you're looking for a worthwhile audio quality jump while remaining wireless, this is pretty much it.

Nov 7, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #779 of 7,191
It's not so much a bad battery as it is a more power hungry headphone driver, though I assume they're trying to keep the weight down for the same reason.

If you're looking for a worthwhile audio quality jump while remaining wireless, this is pretty much it.
Are there drawbacks to the penrose say compared to the arctis Pro wireless?

Nov 7, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #780 of 7,191
Are there drawbacks to the penrose say compared to the arctis Pro wireless?

As an owner of Mobius, HyperX Orbit and Arctis Pro Wireless (mostly playing on PS4 and chatting on discord) I would say the main drawback with Audeze compared to Arctis Pro Wireless is that with arctis you can swap the batteries on the fly, never having to charge the hs itself. On PS4 you can also hook Arctis up with optical. PS5 lacks optical but can do hdmi to optical converter. However I don’t think Sony made 3D Audio supported with hdmi so you will loose that. Arctis does have several settings on the wifi-transmitter that are handy like sideotone-settings, and easily mixing game and chat-audio. Playing on console I hate when you have to do this in menus on the console.
So when Sony decides that 3D audio will be supported by hdmi the arctis might be more user friendly depending on what you want to do.

However I find the sound far superior on the Mobius/HyperX Orbit than Arctis. It’s absolutely listenable for music depending on your preferences (I usually have the Audeze LCD2C run with a line magnetic headphone amp amp and Lindemann streamer and while still better the Mobius etc doesn’t hurt my ears like Arctis do listening to music.
I expect the Penrose to be similar or very close in terms of audio quality, plus the mic seem very good :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back