Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Mar 24, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #2,746 of 4,459
I wonder if all headsets do this or not. I've not really noticed it but I'm usually using the headset when sidetone is on so maybe it's covered up by the game noise.
Some people report that they don't have the issue. I've ran across one user on reddit that said that his first unit had it, he returned it and the second one didn't. It might be a slight hardware defect, but since it doesn't affect microphone quality badly hopefully it's just some filtering that Audeze can enable on firmware to get rid of it.

Mar 24, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #2,748 of 4,459
Some people report that they don't have the issue. I've ran across one user on reddit that said that his first unit had it, he returned it and the second one didn't. It might be a slight hardware defect, but since it doesn't affect microphone quality badly hopefully it's just some filtering that Audeze can enable on firmware to get rid of it.
Interesting. Maybe my unit doesn't have it. Hopefully they can fix it.

Mar 24, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #2,749 of 4,459
They've already said they're not going to change it multiple times at this point. I can see both sides, but I'm just curious though, is a double click really that hard?
It’s more that, for me, it feels really weird to talk with closed back headphones on and not hear myself. Like trying to talk while covering your ears. I play online shooters a lot and don’t leave my mic on the whole time. Will just unmute to talk for a little then mute again. That’s where having to do an additional double click feels like one too many steps. For longer sessions with friends I agree that it’s not a big deal. I’m also just very used to how it was on Penrose. For my use that was perfect.

But sounds like people like it on all the time. Maybe when sidetone is improved it’ll feel better the way it is? Or maybe add a toggle in Audeze HQ “Sidetone follows mute”?! (I get it. It’s not changing)

Anyway. Have had my Maxwell for a day now and think they are great. Nice work Audeze.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #2,752 of 4,459
Hello Head-Fiers, long time reader, first time commenter. I recently pre-ordered the Xbox Maxwells, and while mine have not shipped as of yet, I have been reading through this thread and noticed many have suggested using a custom EQ setting. I heard from one user that outside the Android app there is no way to EQ them? As an iPhone and Mac user, my question is how will I be able to customise the EQ and save to a preset? I would have to imagine there is a way to do so on ios or mac, no?

Mar 25, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #2,753 of 4,459
Hello Head-Fiers, long time reader, first time commenter. I recently pre-ordered the Xbox Maxwells, and while mine have not shipped as of yet, I have been reading through this thread and noticed many have suggested using a custom EQ setting. I heard from one user that outside the Android app there is no way to EQ them? As an iPhone and Mac user, my question is how will I be able to customise the EQ and save to a preset? I would have to imagine there is a way to do so on ios or mac, no?
Ios app will be coming in q2. I imagine the desktop hq app will eventually get custom eq as well as Penrose had it. In the meantime maybe you have a friend that uses android and would maybe have an old phone or tablet and let you use it for a couple days to dial in an eq you like.

Mar 25, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #2,754 of 4,459
I hope everyone who received their Maxwell, have been enjoying them in good health. After trying to use these headphones exclusively/continuously over the last 2 weeks, I have reached the point where I no longer feel the weight, and the headband and pads have settled in nicely. When I was constantly swapping cans, that's when I was having issues. Initially, I was hyperaware of them on my noggin after putting them on but now I can wear them for 3-4 hours at a time and they just disappear. The more I use them, the more I love 'em, bravo Audeze!

I havent felt the need to eq anything, I love em for overwatch and every game I have tried with them. I hope the tremendous market response motivates and directs audeze to expand and iterate on the maxwell platform, and maybe even add more products to this new ecosystem (different form factors perhaps?).

Edit: I hope we can set the Maxwell as preferred device to load on the audeze app, or even uninstall the mobius and penrose components so that it might load faster and load the headphone faster

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #2,759 of 4,459
My thoughts on the maxwell. Been using them for the past 4 days on PS5. I previously used the penrose but the constant droped wirless connection made me return them. The maxwell outperforms the penrose with battery life and wireless range. The sound is comparable to penrose but I feel the maxwell sounds better. I used the maxwell in Gran Turismo 7, Diablo IV beta, call of duty MW2, BF 2042, Horizon Forbidden West, Resident Evil 4 remake, Last of Us part 1, God of War Ragnarok, Final Fantasy 14, and Rainbow Six Siege. For single player cinematic games the maxwell performed really well. When I used them for shooter games I did not get that same immersment. Compared to VZR model that I have been using for fps games the VZR is clear step ahead of the maxwell for soundstage and positonal audio. The VZR model one does a great job with 3D audio on the PS5. I prefer the sound of the maxwell with non shooter games like the cinematic first party playstation games.

I feel I have found a really good setup, with the audeze maxwell being my choice for all the single player games that I play and then switching to the VZR when I wanna play an online shooter.
I can't wait to use the maxwell in Star Wars Jedi Survivor, Final Fantasy 16, and Spiderman 2.

Mar 27, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #2,760 of 4,459
Anyone noticing really strange battery level reporting behaviour from the Android app?

Phone notified my battery was down to 15% - plugged in the USB C cable and watched the battery level jump to 94% in 4 steps over about 5 seconds?

Opened Audeze HQ PC app and battery level reported was completely different - disconnected cable and then both HQ apps eventually worked their way down to 17% reported?

Update - Audeze HQ on PC reported headset charged to 100% so disconnected cable and then % dropped to 95%. 30 minutes later and it now says 64%? Something isn't right :p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back