Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Feb 3, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #1,021 of 4,465
Personally think the Xbox one will be April and beyond over here!

March if we are lucky for the PS version. Feb is a short month and we still have international shipping to take into account and then shipping from the UK retailers to us. Fingers crossed things move forward asap now. Getting fed up with wires here!

I agree that there must be something more in depth needed with the firmware - tweaks could have been dealt with with a day one update as you say. Although Audeze would probably then have been criticised for shipping an incomplete product!

Hope I'm wrong though.

Haha I'm running a wire here too ATM, the trusty HyperX Cloud 2 is getting me the job done in the meantime, but it's frustrating when you're used to wireless (and way better sound quality). Although god damn they're so comfortable.

I suspect there's probably one of THOSE types of bugs in the firmware that's just giving them a headache, but it must have an impact on the overall functionality/responsiveness of the controls or something, something that users would immediately get frustrated with.

At this point, the physical headsets have presumably already been manufactured in bulk, and the 'base' FW isn't really functional, so the bottleneck now is getting the 'launch' FW ready firstly, and then installed manually thereafter.

Bit of a laborious process, but at the very least they need to ensure that launch FW is as good as possible because there will no doubt be those users who purchase and choose to ignore further updates/don't ever interact with the software that enables them to update.

I'm really excited to get them on head though and see what they're all about, I particularly like the sound of some of those presets too.

Also that 80 hours (or so) battery life? That to me sounds incredible. My average play session is probably 3-4 hours, and Penrose never lasted more than say 4 or 5 without needing juice, but Maxwell is looking at as many as potentially 20 play sessions between charges - the convenience of that alone is probably worth the upgrade to me.

Feb 3, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #1,023 of 4,465
i just chatted with b&hphoto where i purchased the maxwell's, they said they were updated that they should be getting the PS version end of Feb. so we will see..
Why do you believe some resellers, instead of reading information from developers directly in the topic. In clear language, it was repeatedly said that the shipment date will appear on the product page in the Audeze store. Although if it is more pleasant for you to communicate with fortune-tellers, then this is your business only

Feb 3, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #1,024 of 4,465
Hey guys...really interested in the Audeze and I am sure these will be excellent as a Gaming Headset.
However, and this has not been covered to full extend I feel, how does the Audeze compare on the audio front alone? I mean music only and excluding the gaming part? Maybe someone can comment by taking the Penrose or Mobius as reference point given the Maxwell isn't out yet..

I do occasionally game but would love to use the Audeze as my casual headset next to my "better" audio gear. Would the sound quality compare well against, let's say the AirPods Max?

Feb 3, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #1,025 of 4,465
Hey guys...really interested in the Audeze and I am sure these will be excellent as a Gaming Headset.
However, and this has not been covered to full extend I feel, how does the Audeze compare on the audio front alone? I mean music only and excluding the gaming part? Maybe someone can comment by taking the Penrose or Mobius as reference point given the Maxwell isn't out yet..

I do occasionally game but would love to use the Audeze as my casual headset next to my "better" audio gear. Would the sound quality compare well against, let's say the AirPods Max?
I haven't heard the AirPods Max, but I will say that my experience of the Mobius and Penrose have both been very positive in terms of sound. The Audeze house sound seems to be changing in recent times, so Maxwell may change things up more, but the sound signature of Mobius and Penrose has been very pleasant for me when it comes to music.

I listen to music way more than I game, so that's always at the forefront of my decision making process. While they're targeting very different purposes, I think they're among some of the best wireless headphones I've personally tried. In terms of only sound characteristics, I think I still prefer its sound over the Focal Bathys—but again, that's ignoring all other aspects since build, comfort, aesthetic, durability, portability, ease-of-use, battery, etc. are still important factors when picking a headphone.

Feb 3, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #1,027 of 4,465
Just read an Interesting post on Reddit.

Well, I found it interesting at least (no doubt you are lurking here somewhere). :)
I've had that email also - as soon as you leave a Maxwell in your cart without completing the purchase it seems to get sent out - a tiny bit salesy/misleading imho - but then they in the business of trying to sell headphones I guess?

Feb 3, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #1,028 of 4,465

I have used Penrose and AirPods Max, and the Max are a superior experience when used with MacOS and Apple TV. I even enjoy them more when plugged into the controllers, the headphone gives off a very atmospheric vibe. Music-wise, I enjoy the spatial audio for some mastered tracks which can only be done on Apple devices. I've read many people saying Bathys is superior to the Max but I disagree, they sound warmer and that's what I prefer I guess.

Penrose to me is better when you want to keep track of footsteps, but the Max are much better for me in single player games. I am assuming Maxwell will have similar signature to the Penrose, that is at least what my expectations are.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #1,029 of 4,465
Just read an Interesting post on Reddit.

Well, I found it interesting at least (no doubt you are lurking here somewhere). :)
Rob Boffard seems to have a Maxwell in hand!

I don’t know how the business or money side of Audeze work and I’m not white knighting like some on this thread or like in the Penrose at the pre order stage a couple of year ago.

I’d hazard a guess with r and d and manufacturing costs Audeze have invested a massive chunk of cash and want to claw it back asap. They aren’t sennheiser, steelseries and other big players.
They want their investment back asap with little risk.

I believe the product will be be top of the line for gaming and good for audio. I pre ordered day 1 for Penrose and the same thing is happening for the Maxwell launch.

it sucks, but I’m sure it’ll be worth the wait.

Feb 3, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #1,032 of 4,465
Why do you believe some resellers, instead of reading information from developers directly in the topic. In clear language, it was repeatedly said that the shipment date will appear on the product page in the Audeze store. Although if it is more pleasant for you to communicate with fortune-tellers, then this is your business only
i’m just posting what they said. i didn’t say i believed them. are you that upset about not getting headphones that you go after other random people on a forum? relax….

Feb 4, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #1,034 of 4,465

B&H is an authorized dealer, it's not uncommon for distributors to get more information than the general public. I'm not sure why you're acting like he asked his buddy down the road. It would be good business practice for Audeze to give their dealers a more sure timeline as a huge order coming in may have staffing implications.

I would imagine Audeze's timelines to distributors is just as bad as their timeline to us, but no reason to go at dude for reaching out to a source that has a higher probability of getting better information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back