Audeze - Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v63 and HQ v107 beta on June/12/24)
Feb 1, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #992 of 4,477
I wonder if venal rtings.com will underestimate Maxwell again, as it was with Penrose. Where in their opinion Penrose is approximately at the level of steelseries arctis 7p.
This is sort of the problem with trying to create scores for things. Some things can be objectively measured, but a score is going to be based on some sort of adherence to a subjective target. In a hobby like this where subjectivity is much more important at the end of the day, you have to take their scores with a lot of salt because they are not purely factual—they are impacted by many opinions. But a lot of people who don't have much knowledge and rely on these kinds of websites may take things at face value.

Rtings does provide a lot of value if you understand how to extract meaningful information (for your needs) out of their write-ups. But I certainly don't agree with all their editorial, and that's to be expected.

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #993 of 4,477
when will some be sent out for people to review? that would i think satisfy most people, getting some reviews before they are shipped

They will most likely just be shipped around the same time. They won’t send it till it’s ready and when it’s ready they will ship to customers so..

They've already said that reviewers get it at the same time as customers. We won't see reviews until people start getting theirs. At that point, you can judge for yourself lol.

I am under the impression that I will receive a review sample close to launch, as others have speculated and stated. Right now the estimated time frame is mid to late February. I'll be measuring baseline FR plus presets and doing my deep dive as usual for mixed content, wireless performance, comfort, mic, etc. I'm really excited they fixed the game to chat mix setup for Xbox. In the past, it was pretty temperamental on the Penrose, making quick changes challenging. That alone is a major QoL improvement for Xbox gamers that fade back and forth during competitive gaming.

Having used the LCD-X (v2021) extensively lately, I'm less concerned about the weight increase than I used to be. Good padding, clamp force, and weight distribution will make a huge impact on comfort, so I'm hopeful this will be the case with the Maxwell but we shall see. Considering the current state of wireless gaming headphones, I'm just hoping this is at least 80% of what I hope it to be.

Feb 1, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #997 of 4,477
I saw a YouTuber once claim the turtle beach stealth gen 700s were on the same level as the Penrose for sound quality.
Having owned both, wow. There are honestly pros and cons to both, but they sound very different so I'm not sure how anyone can make that statement. I used the 700 g2s a lot simply for the comfort and game/chat mix, but there are noticeable differences across the entire frequency range.

Feb 1, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #998 of 4,477
I saw a YouTuber once claim the turtle beach stealth gen 700s were on the same level as the Penrose for sound quality.

I had those and the arctis 7p and they were both noticeably worse than the Penrose. I returned both and went back to wired. The only reason I returned the Penrose was to get the Maxwell.

Feb 1, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #999 of 4,477
I had those and the arctis 7p and they were both noticeably worse than the Penrose. I returned both and went back to wired. The only reason I returned the Penrose was to get the Maxwell.
I had 700 gen 2 max and nova 7’s, also returned both and went Penrose. Now I’m in my 30 window to return them for Maxwell. It a hard choice because I like the Penrose and love the dual Bluetooth and wireless at the same time. I use it a lot.

Feb 1, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #1,000 of 4,477
Having owned both, wow. There are honestly pros and cons to both, but they sound very different so I'm not sure how anyone can make that statement. I used the 700 g2s a lot simply for the comfort and game/chat mix, but there are noticeable differences across the entire frequency range.

He was referring to you, said as much in an earlier post lol

There are a lot of videos and reviews on the Penrose and Mobius on YT. Also, there's a forum for the Penrose here on Head-Fi that probably already has the answers you're looking for.

Personally, I like Gadgetry Tech on YT. His reviews are super detailed and he has multiple Penrose videos. Also, you can see measurements on rtings.

I am not too keen on his reviews once he said Turtle beach were the best I zoned out. Seems a nice guy though very friendly.

Feb 1, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #1,001 of 4,477
He was referring to you, said as much in an earlier post lol
Yea I made a mistake on that one that was a reference to a particular video but I got it wrong. The comparison video was between three headsets the Penrose wasn’t among them. It was an Astro, steelseries and turtle beach. Thanks for reminding me I meant to update my comment about that. The comment today was from a European channel on YouTube. Apologies people for any confusion

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #1,002 of 4,477
I wouldn’t trust that site for any hardware
I don’t find myself agreeing with rting but it’s interesting and I do read it. The hobby is about finding what you like not trusting someone with a golden ear. This is a joke nobody has a golden ear. :)

Feb 2, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #1,003 of 4,477
Discord voice chat now in beta testing on the PS5.

https://discord.com/blog/playstation-5-voice-integration-announcement

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/0...vrr-support-for-1440p-and-more/?sf263915619=1
  • Join a Discord Voice Chat on Your PS5 Console. You can now join Discord voice chats on your PS5 console and easily chat with friends on most other gaming platforms. To start, link your Discord and PlayStation Network accounts from your PS5 console following these steps*. Then, use the Discord app on your mobile device or computer to get a Discord voice chat going on your PS5 console (make sure your Discord app is updated to the latest version). You can also let your Discord friends see when you’re online and what you’re playing.
  • Note: if you’ve linked your PlayStation Network and Discord accounts in the past to display what game you’re playing, you’ll need to link your accounts again on your PS5 console to grant the new permissions needed for Discord voice chat.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #1,004 of 4,477
I don’t find myself agreeing with rting but it’s interesting and I do read it. The hobby is about finding what you like not trusting someone with a golden ear. This is a joke nobody has a golden ear. :)
I know what you mean I watch quite a few different review channels but I take their recommendations and buy some of their picks and see for myself you have no idea how many headsets I’ve sent back Amazon must hate me 😂

Feb 2, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #1,005 of 4,477
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back