• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Aug 19, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #5,176 of 7,693
That's just the word I would use to describe it and it might have been a poor choice because I don't mean actual rumble as in physical vibration. Vibration is definitely possible with any kind of driver. What I'm trying to describe is a quality of the sound we hear itself. It's that quality that makes a lot of people hearing planar drivers for the first time feel like they're bass-light.
Well, controlled bass is good. Still, if it feels 'light' it would be a nice option to be able to give it a 2, 3db push below 60, 70Hz via EQ. Let's see if that's possible later, maybe with the Windows app…?

Aug 19, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #5,177 of 7,693
That's just the word I would use to describe it and it might have been a poor choice because I don't mean actual rumble as in physical vibration. Vibration is definitely possible with any kind of driver. What I'm trying to describe is a quality of the sound we hear itself. It's that quality that makes a lot of people hearing planar drivers for the first time feel like they're bass-light.
Sony calls it "feel the air" which means the bass is felt on the earlobe and neck when you listen. Z1r and Z7 can do that perfectly. Yes you can call it rumble. The HD800 can also do it to a certain degree with his 56 mm driver. You need to move a lot of air to create this effect.

Aug 19, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #5,178 of 7,693
Sony calls it "feel the air" which means the bass is felt on the earlobe and neck when you listen. Z1r and Z7 can do that perfectly. Yes you can call it rumble. The HD800 can also do it to a certain degree with his 56 mm driver. You need to move a lot of air to create this effect.
Isine can do it too. If you listen to a band of saxophones.

Aug 19, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #5,179 of 7,693
My R28 isn't here yet.. I need to be an excuse factory soon!

"Honey, it's a cheap chinese clone of a $100 amp."

You’ll have to get Kingwa to print you two receipts, with the correct one in all Chinese, and the other clear English quoting $150.

Aug 19, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #5,180 of 7,693
Still trying to decide whether the EL-8 has purely better sound quality. Honestly it does also sound really, really good via the Cipher. Maybe more than it’s given credit. It does a bass boost pretty well as well.
What makes the EL-8 and Mobius alike is the Fluxor magnet array, which is also in the LCD-4. I believe this is the tech that makes both the EL-8 and the Mobius come close to sounding like the LCD line. The only difference with LCD-4 is that it has double Fluxor magnet array. This gives them that crazy punch that they have. But try finding a nice amp for your EL-8s I can recommend the Questyle CMA 400i. I've tried it at the 2017 NYC can-jam and it sounded very nice paired with the LCD-4s.

Aug 19, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #5,182 of 7,693
To my ears, planar drivers can't match the rumble of dynamic driver bass, even EQ'ed. Planar bass extends well with great clarity, but dynamic bass has a "rumble" I haven't heard planars able to reproduce. I still haven't heard headphone bass as satisfying as the TH-900 and that factor is why. Still, both are great in their own ways.

I like dynamic drivers for the same reason. Because the drivers move, it causes the headphones to rumble and shake. You can feel the sound. They create what is known as SPL (sound pressure level) too. It can feel intense with some good music.

Aug 19, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #5,183 of 7,693
How ANYONE could think the Mobius is light in bass in any way shape or form is beyond me. I'm a reformed basshead. I dunno what planet people are on unless they're listening to sloppy bass and immediately put on the Mobius to compare. It always takes time to adjust to different headphones especially if they have different tonal balances.

The Mobius bass reaches incredibly low, and has the impact any recording desires. The only time I feel more bass is desired is in 3D mode, until I change to the music preset, then I'm 100% fine.

I've owned the TH900, as well as the even stronger D7000. I love that bass. However, that bass is different from LCD2 bass, and Mobius bass. Different, but the latter two still have a different form of potency.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #5,184 of 7,693
How ANYONE could think the Mobius is light in bass in any way shape or form is beyond me. I'm a reformed basshead. I dunno what planet people are on unless they're listening to sloppy bass and immediately put on the Mobius to compare. It always takes time to adjust to different headphones especially if they have different tonal balances.

The Mobius bass reaches incredibly low, and has the impact any recording desires. The only time I feel more bass is desired is in 3D mode, until I change to the music preset, then I'm 100% fine.

I've owned the TH900, as well as the even stronger D7000. I love that bass. However, that bass is different from LCD2 bass, and Mobius bass. Different, but the latter two still have a different form of potency.

This. I am listening to Arcade Fire Reflektor on my Mobius as I type this (Tidal, wired USB, Hi Res). Tons of bass slam. Fast, tight and deep. So good. Anyone concerned about bass should not be.

Aug 19, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #5,185 of 7,693
One of my favorite neutral headphones has to be Mr. Speakers AEON Closed, they have some nice bass articulation to make you hear its there, but overall are nicely balanced. I would suggest those to anyone who likes a more neutral sound, but still craves bass. I look at it like this. Say bass is a Great White shark, with the Audeze headphones you're in a cage swimming with it, whereas with the AEON Closed you are in a nice sea park and you are looking at the great white through a huge pane of glass at some Great White exhibit, you still get to see it, but its not smashing into you in a cage lol... I frankly like both, punchy bass of Audeze and the neutrality of the AEON Closed. Hope my analogy and opinion bodes well. Feel free to correct me :)

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #5,186 of 7,693

Agreed. The Mobius can produce lower, more spacious, bass and I love it. Tight, accurate, and low distortion.

Aug 19, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #5,187 of 7,693
Well, true enough, but I don't think anyone is honestly happy with headphones that weigh ~600g. :l

Sine/SineDX = 230g
Mobius = 350g
EL-8 T/O = 460g
LCD 2 F = 550g
LCD-2 Classic = ~540/600g
LCD-2 Closed = 560g
LCD-3 F = ~540g
LCD-4 = ~548/600g
LCD-XC = 650g
LCD-4z = 610g
LCD-MX4 = 550g
LCD-X F = 610g

Added the missing headphone to your chart. :)

Aug 19, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #5,188 of 7,693
To my ears, planar drivers can't match the rumble of dynamic driver bass, even EQ'ed. Planar bass extends well with great clarity, but dynamic bass has a "rumble" I haven't heard planars able to reproduce. I still haven't heard headphone bass as satisfying as the TH-900 and that factor is why. Still, both are great in their own ways.
Hmm..... To my ears, I don't hear rumble, I hear some distortion. And most dynamic headphone drivers can't even get proper volume on the sub-bass. They usually emphasize the midbass and it sounds nothing like a clean live instrument.

Aug 19, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #5,189 of 7,693
Added the missing headphone to your chart. :)

A 2 day old LCD-2 owner here and have had this only removed off my head when my ears got too hot or when I got up from my desk. I onlt notice the weight when i pick the unit up, or when it droops on my flimsy stand, but I forget within 5 mins that I have half a kilo on my head.
The clamp force works well on me too. Maybe I'm still in my honeymoon period.

Aug 19, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #5,190 of 7,693

Does Mobius or LCD-2 have more impactful bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back