Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Aug 13, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #4,817 of 7,693
I guess I'm not alone
Well, it's the headphone that is on pre-order; not the case or stand... So it may still be on the way.

Aug 13, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #4,818 of 7,693
Did you miss all of the discussion about how they halted shipment, are fixing all units and you can arrange to have yours fixed?

You sound like the hiss is a new revelation. It isn't.

P.S. Depending on your age and quality of hearing, I'm sure it's possible to not notice it, as hiss tends to be primarily in upper frequencies.

That's the thing. I have trouble believing that the hiss wasn't something that was obvious prior to shipping out these first few orders. Retroactively trying to fix a fault that they were aware of but shipped anyways ain't really okay by my book, but I guess it's still conjecture on my part. However, when you sell a piece of audio equipment -- whether it be headphones or an amp, you check the noise floor as the final part of QC. Not using subjective measures like a group test, that's irrelevant (but would still catch it, really). There can't be any way that an automated process couldn't have caught the hiss.

But if they were aware of it, and they decided to ship it out anyways -- not good. I mean, if you sold me a car that you knew had faulty brakes, and then sent out a recall notice afterwards, would all be absolved?

Aug 13, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #4,819 of 7,693
That's the thing. I have trouble believing that the hiss wasn't something that was obvious prior to shipping out these first few orders. Retroactively trying to fix a fault that they were aware of but shipped anyways ain't really okay by my book, but I guess it's still conjecture on my part. However, when you sell a piece of audio equipment -- whether it be headphones or an amp, you check the noise floor as the final part of QC. Not using subjective measures like a group test, that's irrelevant (but would still catch it, really). There can't be any way that an automated process couldn't have caught the hiss.

But if they were aware of it, and they decided to ship it out anyways -- not good. I mean, if you sold me a car that you knew had faulty brakes, and then sent out a recall notice afterwards, would all be absolved?

Here's the thing, personally, I don't actually heart much of anything resembling hiss when something is playing. I'm not alone in this regard. I have had talks DIRECTLY with the Audeze guys that have also wondered if they missed something because didn't hear it enough to be an issue.

So one persons's "the hisss is there but it goes away when I'm listening to things to where it's not a problem", is another's "OMG What IS THIS, ALL I HEARS IS HIIIIISSSSSSSSS IN EVERYTHING!!!!!!111!1!1"

Calming down and contacting Audeze which is MORE than willing to fix these situations is a start.

Aug 13, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #4,820 of 7,693
Sounds fair. I didn't know I paid for a beta test.
But did you pay for a product that wasn't fully developed at the time, that may not have been a product ultimately? =p And for less than current MSRP!

Aug 13, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #4,822 of 7,693

The residual noise of measurement microphones is usually well above (+20dB or more) the threshold of hearing.
So it's less easy than one might think to measure noise in the range that is to be expected in this case.
One would need a very specially constructed nonstandard rig for this single part of quality check.
And - as they explained, even external beta tester's did not complain about the noise during the prototyping stage.

On my part I don't have something to complain, AUDEZE is going the steep way of hardware fixing all units and that's very OK for me, having to wait some more weeks to get a largely improved product.
I waited two years for OssicX to deliver and finally I got nothing from them - that's something to complain about.

Aug 13, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #4,823 of 7,693
It's the human way: making mountains out of molehills.

It would be a different story if they ignored everyone and weren't fixing a damn thing. But that is not what Audeze is doing. So give them the benefit of the doubt.

Aug 13, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #4,824 of 7,693
Finally got to spend some good listening time with my Mobius this weekend and to explore the different modes available. Impressions from a non-audiophile who will use these exclusively for music are as follows:

1. These sound amazing for BT cans. I have owned many: QC35, P7, Aventho and others in a variety of price brackets. Mobius bests these to my ears by a wide margin. Once you get used to the planar sound, it's hard to go back. Mobius delivers as an awesome Planar BT headset. If everything stopped here, I would be satisfied.
2. I am torn on the 3D mode for music. It's cool and it definitely opens up the soundstage. I wish the head tracking could be disabled however with 3D on as it's annoying when walking around the house. In the end, I think 3D adds a cool component that was not otherwise available from traditional BT cans. Whether or not you prefer 3D probably depends on your mood, the type of music and the quality of the source material. I liked it better for heavily produced pop and alternative rock and less for older material and traditional rock.
3. USB mode improves detail and clarity to my ears. And going to HiRes mode improves upon USB mode. I liked the improvement so much that I would probably go wired whenever possible over BT. The only caveat is that wired mode crushed my phone battery which surprised me since the headphone is active at all times.

A word about the hiss. First, hiss isn't really the right word and it makes the problem sound worse than it is. It sounds exactly how a powered amp would sound if you put your ear up to it without a source playing. It's there. I can hear it. Until ... music starts playing and then it's either gone or my tinnitus filled ears can no longer hear it. I'll get the fix because retail value will suffer without it but it is a complete non-issue for me. I forgot about it within a few minutes of playing.

Overall, Mobius kicks some serious a$$. I have owned Sine and EL8 opens and prefer the Mobius to both. I think everyone is going to be very pleased when they get theirs.

Aug 13, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #4,825 of 7,693
Finally got to spend some good listening time with my Mobius this weekend and to explore the different modes available. Impressions from a non-audiophile who will use these exclusively for music are as follows:

3. USB mode improves detail and clarity to my ears. And going to HiRes mode improves upon USB mode. I liked the improvement so much that I would probably go wired whenever possible over BT. The only caveat is that wired mode crushed my phone battery which surprised me since the headphone is active at all times.

With USB mode, It is hard to reliably tell the difference between a PC or a mobile phone. This is why we added a "Turn Off Charging" Option. If you press the Headphone volume control button for 3 seconds, it turns off charging over USB.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Aug 13, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #4,826 of 7,693
With USB mode, It is hard to reliably tell the difference between a PC or a mobile phone. This is why we added a "Turn Off Charging" Option. If you press the Headphone volume control button for 3 seconds, it turns off charging over USB.
I see. So it was charging the Mobius from my phone which explains the battery drain?

Aug 13, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #4,827 of 7,693

1. These sound amazing for BT cans. I have owned many: QC35, P7, Aventho and others in a variety of price brackets. Mobius bests these to my ears by a wide margin. Once you get used to the planar sound, it's hard to go back. Mobius delivers as an awesome Planar BT headset. If everything stopped here, I would be satisfied.
2. I am torn on the 3D mode for music. It's cool and it definitely opens up the soundstage. I wish the head tracking could be disabled however with 3D on as it's annoying when walking around the house. In the end, I think 3D adds a cool component that was not otherwise available from traditional BT cans. Whether or not you prefer 3D probably depends on your mood, the type of music and the quality of the source material. I liked it better for heavily produced pop and alternative rock and less for older material and traditional rock.

A word about the hiss. First, hiss isn't really the right word and it makes the problem sound worse than it is. It sounds exactly how a powered amp would sound if you put your ear up to it without a source playing. It's there. I can hear it. Until ... music starts playing and then it's either gone or my tinnitus filled ears can no longer hear it. I'll get the fix because retail value will suffer without it but it is a complete non-issue for me. I forgot about it within a few minutes of playing.

Overall, Mobius kicks some serious a$$. I have owned Sine and EL8 opens and prefer the Mobius to both. I think everyone is going to be very pleased when they get theirs.

Haven’t even tried these with a wire yet but yes as Bluetooth headphones they are impressive. Happy to hear you prefer Mobius to the Sine and EL-8. So far based on what I’ve heard I do think Mobius via Bluetooth AAC is better than those two headphones while listening to AAC files. Where those two headphones floor me is with lossless files. I will be listening for specific details I could only hear on the Sine on Mobius when I get the chance to test with Tidal lossless.

I’m a little frustrated since I want to upgrade my gaming console to use Mobius as a gaming headset but there are no options that take full advantage of it other than PC gaming which I’m far removed from since I’m a very casual gamer. Microsoft or Sony need to get on top of it since I’d add an Xbox One X or PS4 Pro to my home theater if one of them were better optimized around Mobius. So they could sell more consoles to the Mobius crowd :p.

Side note: I had heard in the YouTube comments of that review of Mobius for DAWs that a workaround was discovered for using a Lightning cable with Mobius. Exciting news for travelers.

Really the only thing I miss from the Sine and EL-8 is the Cipher cable and the premium build. I can’t shake the feeling that I would have paid an extra hundred for leather. But the build quality is great for what it is. Perhaps a step down from other Audeze headphones in pure materials and craftsmanship which does feel more plasticity than what I’ve come to expect from Audeze but perfectly fine for a gaming headset. Not necessarily stylish, but it is still an attractive design.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #4,828 of 7,693
By the way, I’m going to plan a night to test Mobius with all possible sources (movies in 5.1/PC games/Xbox/high-resolution files) and get a full review written up. Unfortunately I have had a neurological condition for the past few months that was recently diagnosed (obviously unrelated) that can make wearing over-ear headphones uncomfortable so I’ll see what I can do. It’s usually our favorite hobbies that life tries to **** over... Thankfully Mobius does have good weight distribution and is comfortable otherwise.

Aug 13, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #4,829 of 7,693
By the way, I’m going to plan a night to test Mobius with all possible sources (movies in 5.1/PC games/Xbox/high-resolution files) and get a full review written up. Unfortunately I have had a neurological condition for the past few months that was recently diagnosed (obviously unrelated) that can make wearing over-ear headphones uncomfortable so I’ll see what I can do. It’s usually our favorite hobbies that life tries to **** over... Thankfully Mobius does have good weight distribution and is comfortable otherwise.
Sorry to hear that and we all appreciate you putting your health at risk to deliver a full fledged review of the Mobius! Looking forward to it.

Aug 13, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #4,830 of 7,693
Sorry to hear that and we all appreciate you putting your health at risk to deliver a full fledged review of the Mobius! Looking forward to it.

I wouldn’t necessarily say putting health at risk (I’m not going to die from wearing over-ear headphones :)) but it is more uncomfortable than it would be otherwise. Otherwise I am impressed with the comfort design of Mobius. The ear pads in particular seal very well even around glasses. Unfortunately I do prefer over-ear headphones so I’ll do my best to get around it. I just am not able to wear them as much as I’d like. Thank you!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back