• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Aug 13, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #4,786 of 7,693
Yeah that's just a bad review. The hiss in the early units should bear no impact on the actual headphone considering Audeze is fixing it as we speak and it will (hopefully) be present any longer. If it is when the new units land then by all means it should be screamed from roof tops. Also damn that rewind segment, that was very unpleasant. Also what was up with his aptX talk? Afaik LDAC is just superior in every way (maybe except adoption rates, but considering Oreo, not really relevant) and it's still not up to the USB quality these headphones offer.
I think the aptx talk is because aptx is more commonly found in many more devices than LDAC. I personally wish the Mobius had this codec. AptX and AptX LL for low latency. Would've played nicer on my bluetooth transmitter that doesn't have LDAC or AAC. I'm stuck using SBC on my transmitter.

Basically, the transmitter is what I use for late night wireless gaming. The Mobius is unusable in this situation because of the lack of AptX codecs.

So times, sound quality isn't the most important thing.

Considering this is a gaming headset, I think it would've been something to consider as latency is a big factor.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #4,787 of 7,693
This I think is going to be the biggest selling headphone for Audeze, just a guess mind you, but the traffic the thread attracts has to mean something. I think aptX is perfectly adequate for providing transparent sound quality to the user so going beyond that sample rate is academic, but I digress. If I gamed or had surround sound mixes I would be very tempted to get this headphone. Can't wait to read the many impressions sure to come (in addition to what has come).

Aug 13, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #4,789 of 7,693
*heavy breathing* aptX isn't overrated, not in aptX HD quality-wise and aptX LL (Low Latency) form, the "aptX" standard version is somewhat "meh" but aptX HD is good quality wise and the aptX LL codec again has lowest latency of them all making it best for specific uses, even better than LDAC where latency is critical. Last but not least, aptX is still the most widely supported Bluetooth Codec apart from SBC. Try find me an universal LDAC BT transmitter (not a phone) or even an AAC one, I'd love to use Mobius with my TV! I can easily find a BT transmitter with either aptX LL or HD support on amazon (I already have one).

I have a phone with LDAC support but what good use it is when only 1~3% of my audio listening happens via phone (it usually happens via my computer or TV). If I was to choose between aptX HD or aptX LL support I'd probably pick LL one for Mobius so it covers all possible useage scenarios so it can beside running good chance of except running the crown for the #1 gaming headset and #1 mixed media headphone and #1 affordable planar magnetic phone also could have had a good chance for the #1 wireless TV listening headphone with aptX LL support (obviously latency is critical for lipsync with movie watching). Due lack of aptX support, it cannot even be a contender on that particular list due lack of compatibility. From the bottom to top with a codec support for a particular use, think about that one for a second! Whether or not aptX has a value to You, it's hard to argue against the possible benefits it can bring for some people.

Doesn't aptX LL employ lower quality codec in order to guarantee lower latency? If so, maybe it's just not a good match on the Mobius, which is about maximizing quality?

Aug 13, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #4,790 of 7,693
This I think is going to be the biggest selling headphone for Audeze
You think the gaming sector will be the major market for Mobius? By 95%? Or, what will be 1st, and 2nd?

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #4,792 of 7,693
So, now I am wondering...do I need a 2nd pair of these for my office?

That is especially odd b/c when I bought them, I didn't have a specific use case in mind, but now I've been shuttling between my home and work.

Aug 13, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #4,793 of 7,693
Doesn't aptX LL employ lower quality codec in order to guarantee lower latency? If so, maybe it's just not a good match on the Mobius, which is about maximizing quality?

The aptX LL has lower bandwidth than aptX HD so it'll sound slightly worse but it's still subjectively roughly around AAC levels whereas aptX HD is actually is slightly above (not sure if´people will detect difference and there's more to it than bandwidth so) but it's the latency aspect which is the key for that codec for video game or movie wireless watching. Wireless to begin with is about convenience, most people (me included) easily accept a sound quality drop in order to go wireless for specific useages and for movie and gaming I don't think most people are highly critical about that particular aspect and it obviously has to compete with other wireless options whereas Mobius even with aptX LL likely wouldn't have much competition. The mobius with the 3D surround enabled isn't the last definition of hi resolution for starters and the 3D surround aspect would also be nice for TV/movie watching in particular to provide a speaker-like presentation for late night watching without disturbing others in the house, those are the cases convenience comes before the last bit of sound quality. AptX HD is like a worse form of LDAC so it's a tougher one to argue for (still comes with better compatibility though but that's about it) meanwhile LL form can actually also best the LDAC codec in latency, making it cover all the bases better if it had the codec support, be the best in all possible areas so to speak.

For best wireless performance (on the market that is available right now) the 2.4GHz RF wireless transmission would obviously be ideal but it's a more bulky and expensive solution and it's not something you'd just integrate into the already crammed Mobius, it'd rather have to come like an optional bundle with a charging to stand if so (sign me up for one!) and I bet the Sennheiser wireless headphones targeted for TV use would scream in fear! That has no latency to speak of and better range and can be lossless AFAIK. There's also a few gaming headsets (usually the expensiest model with this technology)

I know we've beaten this aspect like a dead horse already and I'm grateful already for how many things Mobius do well but I can't stop thinking it's just such a shame it didn't do wireless movie watching (or gaming) "nicer" when you think how well fit it would be for that particular use, it could easily become a top player in that particular market. Oh well maybe we'll see something in future, at least by the time there's improved wireless options.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #4,794 of 7,693
The aptX LL has lower bandwidth than aptX HD so it'll sound slightly worse but it's still subjectively roughly around AAC levels whereas aptX HD is actually is slightly above (not sure if´people will detect difference and there's more to it than bandwidth so) but it's the latency aspect which is the key for that codec for video game or movie wireless watching. Wireless to begin with is about convenience, most people (me included) easily accept a sound quality drop in order to go wireless for specific useages and for movie and gaming I don't think most people are highly critical about that particular case and it obviously has to compete with other wireless options whereas Mobius even with aptX LL likely wouldn't have much competition. The mobius with the 3D surround enabled isn't the last definition of hi resolution for starters and the 3D surround aspect would also be nice for TV/movie watching in particular to provide a speaker-like presentation for late night watching without disturbing others in the house, those are the cases convenience comes before the last bit of sound quality. AptX HD is like a worse form of LDAC but with better compatibility meanwhile LL form can actually best the LDAC codec in latency, making it more cover all the bases better.

For best wireless performance the 2.4GHz wireless transmission would obviously be ideal but it's a more bulky and expensive solution, it'd rather have to come like a optional bundle to purchase if so (sign me up for one!)

Ah, ok -- yeah, I've only read about aptX LL -- I've never heard it myself. I wonder if Mobius 2.0 will add aptX, aptX HD, and aptX LL just to cover these other use cases?

Aug 13, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #4,795 of 7,693
Ah, ok -- yeah, I've only read about aptX LL -- I've never heard it myself. I wonder if Mobius 2.0 will add aptX, aptX HD, and aptX LL just to cover these other use cases?

aptX is legacy technology. If anything I’d like to see a proprietary technology to stream 5.1/7.1, even if it’s over WiFi. Using these for surround sound is cumbersome unless you’re using it on a computer. But it is a gaming headset and many gamers use their PC’s and expansive monitors to watch movies.

Aug 13, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #4,796 of 7,693
So I went down to Washington to pick up both of my Mobius orders -- order #106 and #145.

To start things off, when I opened order #145 there were no headphones, just a carrying case. Great. Who's doing QA again? I noticed that it shipped directly from Hong Kong and it was completely sealed when I received it. I also had to pay taxes on this. Double great.

Order #106 actually has the headphones... (woo), but the hissing is unbearable. As in, you have to be literally deaf to not be able to hear it, even with music playing. Was there really any QA done on these headphones before they were shipped out? I'm really not believing Audeze's email about the hiss anymore when they said that only those with sensitive ears would notice it. Seriously?

I have a feeling that Audeze isn't even sure what they're selling anymore. This is ridiculous, and as a previous owner of the LCD-2 and LCD-3 it's very disappointing. @Audeze: what are the next steps here? I paid for two headphones but I ended up receiving one faulty headphone and two carrying cases.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #4,797 of 7,693
At Audeze we are agnostic to the different codecs. We would love to support them all if possible. But unfortunately, receiver chipsets do not support all that we would like to support. With Android O being supported by more devices, we decided to go with LDAC on Mobius.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Aug 13, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #4,798 of 7,693
So I went down to Washington to pick up both of my Mobius orders -- order #106 and #145.

To start things off, when I opened order #145 there were no headphones, just a carrying case. Great. Who's doing QA again? I noticed that it shipped directly from Hong Kong and it was completely sealed when I received it.

Order #106 actually has the headphones... (great), but the hissing is unbearable. As in, you have to be literally deaf to not be able to hear it, even with music playing. Was there really any QA done on these headphones before they were shipped out? I'm really not believing Audeze's email about the hiss anymore when they said that only those with sensitive ears would notice it. Seriously?

I have a feeling that Audeze isn't even sure what they're selling anymore. This is ridiculous, and as a previous owner of the LCD-2 and LCD-3 it's very disappointing. @Audeze: what are the next steps here? I paid for two headphones but I ended up receiving one faulty headphone and two carrying cases.

I guess I'm not alone: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/952dif/my_audeze_mobius_case_came_without_a_headset/

Aug 13, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #4,799 of 7,693
At Audeze we are agnostic to the different codecs. We would love to support them all if possible. But unfortunately, receiver chipsets do not support all that we would like to support. With Android O being supported by more devices, we decided to go with LDAC on Mobius.

Thanks -- so then it was a design choice limited by the receiver chipset. I know there are other products that support LDAC, aptX, aptX HD, and AAC (Radsone ES100 comes to mind) but I suspect they are using something that didn't make sense for Mobius for other reasons.

I have more devices that use AAC than aptX (and even one that supports LDAC transmission) so in my case it doesn't bother me, but I can see why aptX support is desirable for others.

Aug 13, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #4,800 of 7,693

No, you're not. It now appears there are at least 3 of us affected. I've had a ticket open with Audeze since the day my parcel arrived and sent them multiple pictures of the parcel and labels. They're still trying to figure out what happened. In all fairness, they've been quite responsive and helpful.

If I had to speculate, I'd say it happened either while at customs or when it was sent back for not having battery stickers. The reason I say that is that the second DHL label lists a shipping weight of 1.00kg, which is less than what the parcel initially weighed (according to Audeze).

It almost has to be packing error rather than theft though, as it makes no sense why someone would pilfer just the headphones and leave all the cables and the boom mic in the case.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back