• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Aug 1, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #3,781 of 7,693
Me reading this thread today, catching up from the last 2 days!
ShowyFewIchthyostega-max-1mb.gif

image.gif

653ijt16juyz.gif

Aug 1, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #3,782 of 7,693
Well, this thread has taken an unfortunate turn. Hopefully the singular issue with Mobius is addressed soon so we can focus on the other innovative features of these headphones :). Would be best to move past this asap so it doesn’t become a recurring discussion topic that overshadows the launch of Mobius...

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #3,783 of 7,693
I don’t care what anyone says about the “failed quest,” how choices made by the characters seem illogical (they do seem to be consistent with their traits and emotional response to recent events, IMO), or how several points of the movie seem to fly in the face of what’s happened before... The Last Jedi felt fresh, was one of the darker Star Wars films without getting outright depressing like Rogue One, seemed to explore the “mythology” of the universe more, and had more abstract moments that got me thinking instead of just action all the way (and not plodding and awkward like Clone Wars). Right up there with Empire Strikes Back as my favorite Star Wars films, has the most of what attracted me to the franchise.

I think this was a quality post, I think you tried to include objective observations and comparisons in addition to your subjective analysis.

Speaking generally, there are a few causes for background hiss.
— ANC, as was recently described well, is listening to the noise in the room via microphones, and tries to digitally reproduce an inverted version of that sound and play it back without lag to cancel sound. TRIES. Just like how all DACs and ADCs aren’t perfectly accurate (ANC uses both), it can’t cancel all sound, or be accurate enough to prevent creating a soft white noise hiss from being introduced where the inverse wave misses reality.
— External RF interference, where cellphone, WiFi, or other electromagnetic signals (essentially light beyond the range of human vision) can sometimes interact with sensitive electronics and scramble things up, creating a garbled chirping sound or a steady hiss.
— Internal electromagnetic interference. For those that know electro-magnets, they are created by running electric current through wires, looped wires and more electricity for a stronger magnetic field. Circuits are wires, and often audio companies go to great pains (and use a fair amount of material) to insulate amplifier sections from the digital circuits (like the DAC, ADC, and DSP), wireless transmitters and receivers, etc. Complete shielding might even be impossible, due to space and weight limits, System on a Chip implementations where everything is right next to each other on one circuit, and Planar Magnetic headphones actually have fairly large, strong permanent magnets right in the earcups for the diaphragm to repel from and be attracted to.

Noise is different than distortion... there could be a system that has very high accuracy to the source material and an audible noise floor (like vinyl), or an inaudible noise floor but the playback is quite distorted from the source material (cheap, muddy basshead headphones, or an electric guitar with a distortion pedal). I could be misreading or oversimplifying some of the above, but in general it can be very challenging or expensive to have a high signal to noise ratio (S:R, or often on spec sheets as SNR) and low noise floor.

I don't hate the last Jedi like a lot of others do. I don't think it was a bad movie and it got a lot it things right. But I think it was a fail as a main saga Star Wars movie. I felt like a kid after watching the force awakens..... Even though it was derivative of a new hope, it captured the excitement of star wars. I watched TLJ a couple times in the first few days..... Was left feeling disappointed and then soon forgot about it as well as my excitement for Star Wars

I preferred the trailers over the actual movie in how they handled Luke , even though they were a red herring. Luke didn't need to perfect. But it was a huge wasted opportunity. There's a reason it had less than 50% audience approval rating.

It seems Rian was making it much higher priority to be unpredictable than to make a satisfying Star Wars main saga film.

I appreciated what he did with Kylo and Rey's interactions. It felt rushed and cramped though because of the ridiculous third act (Rose/Finn storyline) that didn't even pan out.

Not a bad movie. Not a good Star Wars main saga movie. A lot of dropped balls just to be different.

If I had my Mobius already I might check it out again for surround sound.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #3,784 of 7,693
Just received mine today. For perspective, these will be exclusively console gaming headphones for me. I've used them for 15 minutes, including some music with various settings, including 3D, as well as a quick race in Gran Turismo Sport on PS4.

The 3D effect is...cool? I really hate it for music so far, but am willing to give it more time. I've used headphones nearly my entire life and typically dislike using speakers, so that may be why. In my quick race in GTS, I found it to be of almost no value. I'm expecting to show it's value when I switch back to standard headphones, like something is missing.

Have you tried the headphone on a computer game or movie played on your computer? The bulk of the 3D effects supposedly only work via USB. Everything else is probably just using the standard virtual surround upscaling from 2 channel stereo.

Aug 1, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #3,785 of 7,693
Here's a thought: why doesn't someone just record the hiss and let us hear it? Surely people must own a recorder or phone or something. Maybe someone even owns one of those bugged microwaves Obama used to spy on Donald Trump. Record it however you can and let us all hear it.

Now I understand the recording device itself could have its own noise floor issues etc, especially if being of low quality. But it still might be interesting to hear. If anyone wants to do this for us then I would suggest going about it as follows: Let us hear the recorder by itself to get a sense of it, then lets hear the headphones turned on at different volumes and modes etc. Also our own volume levels might be tricky so let us calibrate that by using a relatively known sound such as a person whispering or your cat purring if you know how to stroke it just right.

I'm sure someone will have some thoughts on this idea?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #3,786 of 7,693
I DEFINITELY put that on my review.

edit: Actually, it IS in the impressions on here.

"Final Impressions:

...the noise floor is audible at low volume which was already being addressed before I even mentioned it. "

What does that look like to you? Lol

And no, not everyone is in agreement about the hiss. I certainly don't hear it when I'm listening to most things. I do hear it in video games through USB when there are quiet moments. I DON'T hear it the majority of the time when I am using the Bluetooth and non-gaming. So no. Stop overgeneralizing.

And please before accusing others of not doing something, make sure to fact check, because people would then start to believe I'm trying to hide something, which I'm obviously not. I don't take my integrity being questioned lightly.

Dial back the drama, nobody is questioning your integrity. I simply didn't remember any of the early impressions mentioning a hiss being audible while listening to an audio track (something that's a definite issue that more then one person have already reported, even if it's not an issue with your set).

Edit: also, I can't possibly fathom how an audible hiss while gaming isn't an issue for you. I think that hurts your integrity more as a gamer then anything else. I just don't see how something like that can be ignored and isn't super annoying, but I guess everyone has different standards.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #3,787 of 7,693
I also think it doesn't track well, at least when I was listening to music. When I turn my head 90deg to the right there's this inertial tracking that's fine (maybe goes 100-110deg then corrects to 90deg) but it slowly creeps back to center. Then when I turn back to center it shifts left then centers quickly. It kind of feels laggy and rubber-bandy.

If I turn 90 degrees to right, then pause, then turn another 15-30 degrees to the right (so 105-120 total), it thinks I've turned over 180 degrees total. Music should shift almost completely to my left ear when I turn 90 and then start fading back into the right ear, sounding like it comes from behind me, as I continue to turn. Instead, it shifts a ton to the right ear, often the majority, when I rotate that extra 15-30 degrees.
Your description above, make it sound like it is in the Auto-3D mode. There are 3 options. Holding the 3D button for 3 seconds cycles between the three.

Here is how 3D works on Mobius.
https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004035771-What-the-3D-Button-does
For PS4, use the 3D manual and center it to the screen. It should not auto-center. The Mobius tracks your head movements 1000 times a second and there is no lag. If you connect it to a PC and install the application you can see the tracking information in realtime.
The Auto3D is designed for mobile use when traveling.

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Aug 2, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #3,790 of 7,693
Have you tried the headphone on a computer game or movie played on your computer? The bulk of the 3D effects supposedly only work via USB. Everything else is probably just using the standard virtual surround upscaling from 2 channel stereo.
Everything I listened to was 2 channel natively, music and game. Music was played connected to my Mac's Thunderbolt 3 Dock over USB-A, USB-C, and 3.5mm. Game was played connected directly to the controller. I might play a movie on my computer later, but probably not tonight.
Your description above, make it sound like it is in the Auto-3D mode. There are 3 options. Holding the 3D button for 3 seconds cycles between the three.
Here is how 3D works on Mobius. For PS4, use the 3D manual and center it to the screen. It should not auto-center. The Mobius tracks your head movements 1000 times a second and there is no lag. If you connect it to a PC and install the application you can see the tracking information in realtime.
The Auto3D is designed for mobile use when traveling.
That's entirely possible. My music listening was the first thing I did, even before I got a sense of how to use them. I was really excited to try the 3D mode and just let it go when I first sensed the 3D movement.

Later, when playing Gran Turismo Sport, I was definitely in 3D Manual, but didn't really move my head around much, which is why I didn't really have much to say about it. I did occasionally look over from my TV to my computer and the 3D movement of the car/game audio was an interesting reminder to keep my eyes on the road.

Trying music again now with 3D Manual. EDIT: yeah, 3D Manual fixes the tracking weirdness I described originally. Phew.

EDIT2: I'm getting used to the hiss after listening to ~30min of music. Brain sort of cancels it out until I take the Mobius off/on again.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #3,791 of 7,693
I hope soon Audeze has some comment on the hiss. I'm unhappy about it being there, but if they feel it's intended then so be it. I'd like to get my headphones at this point and see what it sounds like. Some people it seems to bother and others it doesn't. Since we got a fair discount on the headphones through indegogo, I'm just going to conceed and accept that the headphones are what they are at this point. I guess the only thing that's left is for Audeze to determine whether or not the level of hiss in the headphones is considered acceptable by their measurements.

Aug 2, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #3,792 of 7,693
We are still looking into the issues raised and will have some updates soon.

Nice many companies would ignore what the customers have to say.
Great job Audeze and thanks for holding the rest of the shipment till the issue is resolved.
I hope you pull it off soon.
Thanks again.
To be honest I was expecting a wireless more isolating el8 titanium.
I hope it meets that level.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #3,793 of 7,693
Audeze has excellent customer service. If it is not operating to spec I’m sure they will take care of it.

In the meantime I’m going to try not to let this affect my experience with Mobius :) (Should receive it by the weekend but no worries either way.)

Aug 2, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #3,794 of 7,693
Edit: also, I can't possibly fathom how an audible hiss while gaming isn't an issue for you. I think that hurts your integrity more as a gamer then anything else. I just don't see how something like that can be ignored and isn't super annoying, but I guess everyone has different standards.

It's simple, that's because the VAST MAJORITY if the time, the hiss is drowned out with whatever is happening in the game. How can I complain about something that is being masked by whatever I'm playing? How is that unfathomable to you? So now a sound that is masked by the games I play is supposed to make my gamer integrity questionable? Give me a break.

As for even the slight hiss during low moments of gaming, like I have mentioned various times, I have played with audio devices that hissed CONSIDERABLY louder, and are devices that are big sellers (Astrogaming Mixamps, Astro A50 headset, among other things) that are purely gaming oriented. And trust me, there are plenty of gaming audiophiles here that have experienced those devices and dealt with the hiss. The gaming audio world isn't quite up to the standards of the most anal of audiophile, but we learn to live with some tradeoffs because there isn't exactly a better option. In the case of the Mobius, there is some level of tolerance that may be needed as it isn't a wired WORLD CLASS TOTL headphone. It's wireless with a swiss army knife set of options built in. I feel its benefits outweigh the detriments. Especially for the price and versatility.

I figure it was common sense that a product that hisses LESS than those very popular gaming products at times known for their hiss and background noise wouldn't be that big of a deal in comparison.

But then again, the way some people make it sound, the Mobius sounds like cat hissing in warning 24-7, or a classic CRT in a channel with no signal 'snow'. I simply don't have that level of noise on this particular headset.

I'm really hoping there is some crazy variation where part of the batch is just not the same as what I received and Audeze can account for this, because I truly believe if people are hearing the same exact hiss I am and saying it is invasive over the rest of the sound, well, I have no more words.

If there is a definite variation and you guys got a hissier Mobius than I, I'd be actually very glad that there was a fire that caused all the smoke in here.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #3,795 of 7,693

Users who are viewing this thread

Back