• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
May 22, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #1,502 of 7,693
Would I be able to plug these into the ps4 via USB and get surround sound?

May 22, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #1,503 of 7,693
No

rhvooqx2byicjmnrmzlh.jpg

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #1,504 of 7,693
Thanks for that. It’s a shame because I dun play games on PC that often

May 22, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #1,505 of 7,693
Like some of the others, the OSSIC closure gives me pause and hopefully we can an update for the Mobius. Based on what I've read, it seemed a big contributor was the material and manufacturing costs that did them in. I'm more confident in Audeze as an established company but fingers cross nonetheless.

It's not really a mess if you prefer all virtual surround processings off and rely on 5.1 speaker config in Windows as opposed to just stereo and no ingame surround processing algorithms, especially if it's a DirectSound API developed game. I think it's important to stress due how many headphone folks opt for an USB DAC of some sort these days and are limited to stereo speaker setting in Windows control panel that they are missing out on a fairly decent "globaI" surround enhancing option. I've tried Dolby Atmos, Dolby Headphone, all various forms of SBX surround, CMSS-3D, Razer Surround, HeSuVi, Windows Sonic and maybe some others I forgot.

The problem is that all these processings affect sound quality or introduce distortion of sound in order to achieve a virtual surround sound. While 5.1 speaker setting I'd say in a subjective interpretation introduce some average 20-25% gain in positional awareness / virtual surround and the best virtual processing methods perhaps in the order of ~50% percieved difference or so, they usually come with 25% drawback to sound quality as well meanwhile the 5.1 speaker setting in Windows introduce no audible impact, in fact due to how it enhances and spreads the soundstage more around your head, I'd say that's more like a 10~15% sound quality gain (the difference of closed vs open headphone kind of effect). That's why I prefer no ingame HRTF virtual surround processing algorithms and 5.1 speaker in Windows, because it has to me the best sound quality vs surround performance.

I hope Mobius being developed by a audiophile company has a bigger focus than these gaming brand products as far as goes on sound quality, I personally prefer a more subtle difference in terms of surround processing in order to keep sound quality intact. This is why I'm particularly curious to try Audeze 5.1/7.1 USB DAC mode vs AUX & Windows 5.1 speaker setting. But that's a subjective preference of mine. I haven't heard Smyth Realiser yet but would be fun to do so one day.
I use to use a X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro before my X7 and disagree with the "sound quality" concern. Its nowhere near 25% reduction in sound quality.

I'm not sure about others but for creative, you got to make sure you configure both windows sound and EAX properly. As long as the game has support for more channels than 2.1, CMSS-3D does a rock solid job. In fact, if you tone down the surround processing, in music mode it also does a decent job with audio. I've tried most of the software effects (excluding Sennheiser) and CMSS-3D is the winner hands down. If I didn't have to drive a pair of speakers (and a bunch of case noise that I'm not sure how to isolate), I would still be chugging along with my X-Fi.

May 22, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #1,506 of 7,693
I use to use a X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro before my X7 and disagree with the "sound quality" concern. Its nowhere near 25% reduction in sound quality.

I'm not sure about others but for creative, you got to make sure you configure both windows sound and EAX properly. As long as the game has support for more channels than 2.1, CMSS-3D does a rock solid job. In fact, if you tone down the surround processing, in music mode it also does a decent job with audio. I've tried most of the software effects (excluding Sennheiser) and CMSS-3D is the winner hands down. If I didn't have to drive a pair of speakers (and a bunch of case noise that I'm not sure how to isolate), I would still be chugging along with my X-Fi.

It's a subjective thing, my 25% might compare more to 13-15% of the average listener, I do for example master tracks as a hobby on a pretty much daily basis so my ears have become more acustomed to hearing subtle changes. Another example of my 25% might be your 13% is often seen here in this forums where there is little concern regarding how pad swaps affect the sound, some don't even think it changes most of the time or some simply doesn't value the acoustic differences as much or care mostly for the comfort, for me it's as much of quality concern as comfort concern too (I don't swap pads if the sound changes for the worse) so it's a subjective value thing.

For me CMSS-3D is like the double-edge sword in virtual surround, the algorithm with the best surround processing potential depending on the game a bit but it's also the one with far the most impact to sound quality of those I've tested. Treble sounds like a thincan or reminds me of old generations of Realtek onboard audio as far as sound quality goes, the highs become unnaturally gritty with a poor resolution to it BUT it does a really good job at imaging a large soundstage with good depth to it and accurate positioning, especially in Battlefield to mention some example.

I'd love if Audeze or any other serious headphone company went into this project of bringing enhanced surround gaming capabilities with the mindset, sound quality first, surround capabilities 2nd. Like don't push the surround sound more than what the sound quality allows to stay at a very very modest/if any noticeable impact There are far more alternatives when it comes to trying push the best surround sound possible but very few takes the side effect how it alters sound seriously. I'm talking like tonal balance, phasing issues, reverb balance etc etc.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #1,507 of 7,693
The company is Audeze, mobius is the headset name.

Anyways aren't the using WavesNX technology? Listen I wouldn't expect some kind of miracle here.. The Smyth realizer is 4k and creative spent 10 years working on the next best thing

I would expect the Mobius to have a fair amount of distortion to produce the surround effect,, even after you input your own HRTF information (which they said you would be able to do in the final version)

In my experience things like GSX Sbx are okay in movies and games but not for music produced for stereo.

So let's try to be realistic about our expectations.

I think that's a good sentiment although I wouldn't be surprised if Audeze has made progress. The driver was designed with 3D audio in mind after all. At this point any improvements are welcome.

May 22, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #1,508 of 7,693
Like some of the others, the OSSIC closure gives me pause and hopefully we can an update for the Mobius. Based on what I've read, it seemed a big contributor was the material and manufacturing costs that did them in. I'm more confident in Audeze as an established company but fingers cross nonetheless. […]

That is one thing I wouldn't really worry about. Not only are they established, but they even have "mass"-produced headphones before, so they know what they're getting into, unlike the OSSIC folks.

May 22, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #1,510 of 7,693
OSSIC was a no-name startup. Audeze has been around for over a decade and this isn’t their first time producing a totally unique headphone that hasn’t been done before. There should be zero concerns about fulfillment.

May 22, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #1,511 of 7,693
Most importantly IMO, they have a good reputation and image to uphold. You can bet that if they didn't follow through with the Mobius, it would destroy their good reputation and likely the future of the company. I would bet dollars to donuts that's not going to happen.

May 22, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #1,512 of 7,693
OSSIC was a no-name startup. Audeze has been around for over a decade and this isn’t their first time producing a totally unique headphone that hasn’t been done before. There should be zero concerns about fulfillment.

Lol I get what you are saying but I still like to have some healthy skepticism and more importantly the production could be delayed!

Which happens all the time in the hardware industry, even for the big guys like Nvidia and Intel.

I just wanna have my mobius NOW, so a little bit of hand holding by Audeze would be cool :wink:

May 22, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #1,513 of 7,693
Don’t mind a delay or two if that means a polished product, expectations for Mobius are high. My baseline is the Sine. If the incredible planar bass, detailed mids, smooth treble, precise imaging, and nicely-separated soundstage matches or exceeds that headphone which is the best Audeze headphone I’ve heard (haven’t heard any LCD-class headphone) then it will wow at its price and feature set. If it’s not at the same level, then I will admittedly be disappointed but Bluetooth is still a big draw and I’m sure I’ll watch some 7.1 movies to test the head-tracking.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #1,514 of 7,693
The kickstarter was more of a pre-order than a funding drive, with production lines, suppliers and delivery chains already in place.

There may have been a lot more interest and requests than they were expecting, but I can't see any reason for at least the 1st few tiers not to be shipping on, or close to the indicated dates. The June/July dates mentioned at CanJam?? match up with the two dates for the tiers on Indiegogo and, notwithstanding any technical issues/bugs/delays in the software side of things I'd still be expecting them then

May 22, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #1,515 of 7,693
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back