• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Aug 1, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #3,736 of 7,693
I was talking about marketing a wireless headphone as hiss free. There is no such marketing.

And like I mentioned before, I own and have owned wireless headphones that have no hiss. Cheap ones in fact. Here's the thing though, they are NOT planarmagnetic headphones that require some serious amp internals to drive. The Mobius amp section is far and above more than any basic wireless headphone. They are not comparable. Wireless planars of this size are essentially a new segment in audiophilia.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #3,737 of 7,693
I was talking about marketing a wireless headphone as hiss free. There is no such marketing.

And like I mentioned before, I own and have owned wireless headphones that have no hiss. Cheap ones in fact. Here's the thing though, they are NOT planarmagnetic headphones that require some serious amp internals to drive. The Mobius amp section is far and above more than any basic wireless headphone. They are not comparable. Wireless planars of this size are essentially a new segment in audiophilia.

I honestly am less worried now that people like yourself have done a lot more testing and saying that with any content playing you can't here it. It is entirely possible the several people that said they were unusable for gaming/movies got defective units where it is worse, bad units get past QC with most mass production products, unfortunately its inevitable.

I admit I have no experience with full size active headphones, only in-ear ones. The problem is that since this is being targeted to a larger audience beyond this community, you have to assume gamer's have no idea what planar's are and how they require much more power to drive them. If the noise floor is higher than average and there is nothing they can do about it, there should just be a note added at the bottom of there website page where they have the hearing damage warning, that due to the active nature of these headphones and the power required by its drivers that the noise floor might be higher than what you are use to. Something along those lines, when going to a larger target market you just have to dumb down some things and not assume people know everything.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #3,738 of 7,693
So how can someone claim hiss should be expected when there has never been a product like this before?

I don't do engineering work on headphones, but I have teams working on products for items that are similarly affected by RF noise, etc. That's how I can say it. Strip features, you don't have a full product. Add shielding everywhere, and the thing weighs a ton.

Edit: Said snark-free (since tone can be misconstrued) - if folks have a problem with the hiss, may I recommend sending them to one of us who can either 1) test or 2) buy it from you? You eliminate the stress of worry, and can buy something else.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #3,739 of 7,693
Like I said, I think more of these need to make it to people's hands, so we can see where the general consensus. You know when the headphone is being USED in everyday life and not actively nitpicked and dissected for it's now known noise floor.

I played many hours of Destiny 2 yesterday with the Mobius, and I had completely forgot until the end to focus on hiss. That is how much of a non-issue it is to me when actually using it. The sound quality is fantastic, and I'll bet those listening to THAT will be very happy.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #3,740 of 7,693
I'll see what the hiss is about. P7 Wireless has it as well and it's the best BT headphone I ever owned. Such a shame it went EOL.

Aug 1, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #3,742 of 7,693
For anyone that was in the batch of shipments that were returned to shipper, I just got off the phone with DHL and was informed that my packed had been given another new waybill number. When talking to Audeze I was told that they would end up using the same tracking number as before, this is not accurate. You might want to contact DHL as well, at least if you're in the USA, to get your new tracking info. It is also possible that the 3PL company just hasn't sent out the emails yet with the new info. Either way, I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone interested.

Aug 1, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #3,743 of 7,693
I'm pretty sure it was never actually stated how many units have shipped out so far. Perhaps you're thinking of the previous update and simply that the first two tiers were indeed the first to ship out. It certainly was never posted here.

Would be kind of surprising if only 250 units shipped in over a week. Before the sticker issue and the halt. Unless they were waiting on monitoring the first shipment to see how quickly they were delivered.

They did confirm 2 batches and after that nothing more. During my research I only found very few people with higher order numbers than 2xx. In fact three people with supposed #1000 numbers didn't check their number correctly.

I thought they would be faster too, but I guess production is still ongoing and slower than expected?

Now regarding the whole hiss thing:
I actually don't get why some people are so riled up about others being discontend with the hiss. I'm someone who hates hiss with a passion since my mind ALWAYS focuses in on it.
Im sensitive to that crap and apparently at least one current owner is too.

It's also a fact that this is a 400$ headphone which shouldn't be held to standards from 15 years ago just because it's full of tech.

I don't have a problem with somebody lile MLE who doesn't mind the hiss and who (to his own accord) probably doesn't hear it as well as others because of constant fan noise that maybe even damaged his ears.
I don't have a problem that people don't mind or don't really notice the hiss.

I DO have a problem when those people suddenly jump on those of us that are not able to tune out noise that is not to mention reportedly louder than that of noise cancelling bluetooth headphones in lesser price ranges.

And it IS reasonable criticism when they advertise a 400 dollar headphone with distortion free drivers that are useless because the amplification creates more distortion than anything caused by drivers ever could.

Those are reasonable criticisms.
Granted, many of us go too overboard with wording and attitude, not having even heard the headphones yet.

Aug 1, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #3,744 of 7,693
Can't wait to rewatch some of the nice movies in 5.1 and 7.1 starting with Black Hawk Down when i get my headphones:)
The Audeze rep told me directly that if you're someone like me that stick to default preset, that he thinks that while in 3D mode, I should really try the Music preset as he thinks it's the best one for 3D mode.

Aug 1, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #3,745 of 7,693
I wonder if Audeze has any plans to add possibility to disable headtracking but keep surround enabled in the app, seems a few people already requested it and it's weird as that's already possible in the Waves Nx app where surround and head-tracking are treated as separate things. I assume it might come sometimes later down the road (not a critical thing, just add, whenever bunch of other important stuff is fixed first) as it should be easy to add. For music listening I can see how some will want to to disable head-tracking but enjoys listening with surround on.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #3,746 of 7,693
I don't have a problem with somebody lile MLE who doesn't mind the hiss and who (to his own accord) probably doesn't hear it as well as others because of constant fan noise that maybe even damaged his ears.
I don't have a problem that people don't mind or don't really notice the hiss.

First, I'm here for Damage Control, now my ears are badly damaged because of a fan.

What else do people wanna make up about me? Anyone else? :face_palm:

I have EXCELLENT hearing, actually. Just as you hate people ragging on those who wanna complain about hiss, I hate people who actually think anyone that doesn't think it's a major issue must have damaged ears or are some Audeze shills.

Goes both ways... just you saying you have no problem with people don't bother you, doesn't make it true.

I have turned off everything in my testing of the hiss later, and found the same result.

Anyways, I'm done with this thread until the majority of the people here have actually received theirs and gave their two cents. Right now it's just back and forth between whining about the hiss. I'll finish up my impressions whenever I get to it, and hope to see more and more people put in their thoughts.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #3,747 of 7,693
The Audeze rep told me directly that if you're someone like me that stick to default preset, that he thinks that while in 3D mode, I should really try the Music preset as he thinks it's the best one for 3D mode.

Someone else that has them said when they switched to the music preset yesterday that it added more emphasis on the bass, more impact or something like that vs. the default is more neutral. I could see that for gaming or action movies that have a lot of explosions/special effects that it would really added to the realism experience as if you were there. That's probably why its there favorite mode, you should definitely try it with Destiny 2 and report back!

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #3,749 of 7,693
OK, thank you for clarifying. I haven't seen any such marketing either.

Yes, they are essentially a new concept and that's why I think it's an assumption to say that hiss is to be expected in them. You and others seem to be saying that hiss is a reasonable assumption given the power of the amplifiers and/or the combination of technology in them. Maybe that is true. Maybe it's not. Like I said, none of us laypeople can make either assertion with any semblance of certainty.

That's why I'd like to hear an explanation from the manufacturer as to why the hiss is there. Is it a defect or an unintended feature? And if it's an unintended feature, what is the layman's explanation of why it's present? If it's an unintended feature, why wasn't it mentioned conspicuously in the FAQ, marketing materials, etc? Is it a problem that arose, they tried working on, but couldn't fix? Or is it something they knew from the start would be present in the final product to at least some degree and were working on it?

edit: grammar

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #3,750 of 7,693
Like I said, NO company talks about HISS in their FAQs or otherwise. It's something to be somewhatr expected of wireless technology. If you don't expect a possibility of hiss, then you haven't done homework on wireless audio. Simple as that. No company is gonna go "BTW LOL GYEZ, THERE IS SOME HISS/BACKGROUND NOISE, SO BE AWARE." That's not how you sell a product. You don't see McD's go "BTW GUYS, YOU MAY GET FAT FROM HAMBURGERS"

Marketing focuses on positives. I mean, that's just common sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back