• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Aug 4, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #7,681 of 7,693
I don’t know yet how well “double stacking” the PS5’s tempest 3D processing and the Mobius’ headtracking works, but it might be fun to test out.
Another “double stacking” works surprisingly well:
Playing the AUDIO STAX dummy head recordings series through Mobius headtracking.
AUDIO STAX used the older model, Neumann’s KU-81, not the latest diffuse field EQed KU-100.

Mobius corrects the otherwise shrill sounding recording, and the headtracking adds a nice feel of “being there”.

Aug 5, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #7,682 of 7,693
Sennheiser still sells their wireless RF headphones with the DD optical-accepting base station and HRTF processing, too.

However, even Sennheiser hasn’t made an updated model to support HDMI. My Smyth Realizer does have HDMI inputs and a passthrough output (for the video), but HDMI standards move quickly and I don’t get all the features of my LG OLED television if the signal is passed through the Realiser first. Unlike optical, which pretty much didn’t physically change beyond the two connector standards (the more common squarish connector, and the round one that was designed for 3.5mm combo ports).

One possible solution is with the Playstation 5’s built-in Tempest 3D headphone surround processing. Since it’s the console performing as a DSP, Sony enabled that with the USB outputs. So, plugging in the Mobius or even the Penrose’s USB dongle should allow surround goodness to reach the headphones, and it’s especially nice because it’s truly 3D, unlike Dolby 7.1 which is just a 2D “ring” around the listening position.

I don’t know yet how well “double stacking” the PS5’s tempest 3D processing and the Mobius’ headtracking works, but it might be fun to test out.
On the latest Head-fi YouTube video of Audeze LCD-5 reveal, I commented that I was happy they haven't forgotten about Mobius, and expressed my hope of a future upgrade. @Audeze was kind to cryptically respond with: "We are not done for the year"!

Last year just ended without the expected announcement, but we're still at the beginning of the new year. Also CES 2022 is upon us.

I have hope for Mobius 2 with more durable construction!
I would love for Audeze to release a box or maybe in headphone electronics that performed what the Smyth Realizer does.
Nobody ever has said the Realizer is nothing short of spectacular. Very pricey though.

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #7,683 of 7,693
I would love for Audeze to release a box or maybe in headphone electronics that performed what the Smyth Realizer does.
Nobody ever has said the Realizer is nothing short of spectacular. Very pricey though.
They just recently released a new firmware update to the Smyth Realizer .... it now ( over headphones ) supports Dolby Atmos in 24 channel modes, DTS X and Aero 3D in 16 channel modes... so it does Native Atmos, DTS x and Aero 3D .... plus if your not feeding it those modes in native content then it up mixes everything else into Aero 3D 16 channel.... that includes all streaming music sights so Apple Music and Tidal get 16 channel upmixing to Aero 3D.... plus all TV content... what ever you feed the A16... the PS5 console never sounded like it does now with the new firmware of the A16.... amazing headphone amp... who needs to EQ headphones... with the A16 it emulates 24 speaker channels with what ever speaker you want... want to make your headphones sound exactly like a $250K listening room.... got that covered too...

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #7,684 of 7,693
Yeah, probably too much to expect Audeze to beat Smyth's specialized knowledge and undercut the Realizer's $4000 USD (or is it now $5000?) price tag. As an all-in-one at a mid-fi price, I'm pretty impressed with what the Mobius achieved, and the Penrose tempted me a few times. Cooler heads prevail though, and I play sessions for long enough that I switch to an open-backed, lightweight headphone (cuz I'm picky!). I wonder if Audeze ever finished their gel-cooling pad cartridges for the Mobius? And if the Penrose uses the same pad mount?

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #7,685 of 7,693
Yeah, probably too much to expect Audeze to beat Smyth's specialized knowledge and undercut the Realizer's $4000 USD (or is it now $5000?) price tag. As an all-in-one at a mid-fi price, I'm pretty impressed with what the Mobius achieved, and the Penrose tempted me a few times. Cooler heads prevail though, and I play sessions for long enough that I switch to an open-backed, lightweight headphone (cuz I'm picky!). I wonder if Audeze ever finished their gel-cooling pad cartridges for the Mobius? And if the Penrose uses the same pad mount?
Yes I know I was expecting far too much from a headphone as the Audeze fare. I read in another thread that Sony was working (and now complete) on a very similar concept which a headfier tested who also owns the Realizer a16. He said that the Sony unit was just as good and much cheaper although did not provide further details when I asked.

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #7,686 of 7,693
Yes I know I was expecting far too much from a headphone as the Audeze fare. I read in another thread that Sony was working (and now complete) on a very similar concept which a headfier tested who also owns the Realizer a16. He said that the Sony unit was just as good and much cheaper although did not provide further details when I asked.
Well, Sony made a huge investment in their audio tech for their VR headset and Tempest 3D audio processing... the questions are how adjustable would such a product be (the PS5 only has 5 "profiles" for different shaped heads, better than nothing), and why would they make a stand-alone product instead of baking it into an existing platform as a way to get people to invest? Technically, the PS5 is far cheaper than a Realizer...

But, if they made a home theater product, one that is like the AVR's of old, but it could drive speakers and headphones (or even just headphones!) and perhaps allow music and movies to be streamed (heck, i've bought a few of Sony's albums and movies over the years!), they could indeed make a very exciting all-in-one product. I'd love to get a replacement for my dying AVR for $200... but I might be convinced to save up for a nice $1000 DSP/DAC/integrated amp!

But Sony & I have different tastes in headphone tunings (and that's OK!), so I would only buy something that would allow me to try a couple headphones on it. For all my critiques against the Mobius (weight and stiffness, heat), they're really only minor concerns and I am impressed with what Audeze put together, and I would surely use it more if I was mainly a PC gamer.

Aug 28, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #7,687 of 7,693
Well, Sony made a huge investment in their audio tech for their VR headset and Tempest 3D audio processing... the questions are how adjustable would such a product be (the PS5 only has 5 "profiles" for different shaped heads, better than nothing), and why would they make a stand-alone product instead of baking it into an existing platform as a way to get people to invest? Technically, the PS5 is far cheaper than a Realizer...

But, if they made a home theater product, one that is like the AVR's of old, but it could drive speakers and headphones (or even just headphones!) and perhaps allow music and movies to be streamed (heck, i've bought a few of Sony's albums and movies over the years!), they could indeed make a very exciting all-in-one product. I'd love to get a replacement for my dying AVR for $200... but I might be convinced to save up for a nice $1000 DSP/DAC/integrated amp!

But Sony & I have different tastes in headphone tunings (and that's OK!), so I would only buy something that would allow me to try a couple headphones on it. For all my critiques against the Mobius (weight and stiffness, heat), they're really only minor concerns and I am impressed with what Audeze put together, and I would surely use it more if I was mainly a PC gamer.
Now that Sony has bought Audeze, we probably will see something in the near future.
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230824336695/en/

“Audeze is a premier brand for headphones, and this acquisition highlights Sony Interactive’s focus on innovation and providing the best audio experience to PlayStation players,” said Hideaki Nishino, Senior Vice President, Platform Experience at Sony Interactive Entertainment. “We’re excited to bring Audeze’s expertise into the PlayStation ecosystem, building on the great strides we’ve made with PlayStation 5’s Tempest 3D AudioTech and the Pulse 3D wireless headset.”

“Sony Interactive provides Audeze with a unique opportunity to scale our business, as we continue with our mission to deliver best-in-class headphones to recording professionals, audiophiles, and gamers,” said Sankar Thiagasamudram, CEO at Audeze. “We’re also looking forward to contributing to Sony Interactive’s efforts to take PlayStation audio experiences to the next level.”

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #7,689 of 7,693
Now that Sony has bought Audeze, we probably will see something in the near future.
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230824336695/en/

“Audeze is a premier brand for headphones, and this acquisition highlights Sony Interactive’s focus on innovation and providing the best audio experience to PlayStation players,” said Hideaki Nishino, Senior Vice President, Platform Experience at Sony Interactive Entertainment. “We’re excited to bring Audeze’s expertise into the PlayStation ecosystem, building on the great strides we’ve made with PlayStation 5’s Tempest 3D AudioTech and the Pulse 3D wireless headset.”

“Sony Interactive provides Audeze with a unique opportunity to scale our business, as we continue with our mission to deliver best-in-class headphones to recording professionals, audiophiles, and gamers,” said Sankar Thiagasamudram, CEO at Audeze. “We’re also looking forward to contributing to Sony Interactive’s efforts to take PlayStation audio experiences to the next level.”
I would honestly love to see that. I can't help but notice that the two new Playstation headsets that were in the Playstation Portal announcement a few days ago are both planar magnetic. I wish them all the fruitful collaboration!

Aug 29, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #7,690 of 7,693
I'm a bit disappointed to see Sony buy Audeze. Even though the Mobius is my only Audeze headphone, I respect the work they have done as independent headphone makers. I'm sure it will all be fine and they will be able to continue much as they have done so far, just a bit sad to see another company "taken over" by one of the big boys. No judgement of either company, just.....yeah, a bit sad to see it.

Aug 30, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #7,691 of 7,693
I'm a bit disappointed to see Sony buy Audeze. Even though the Mobius is my only Audeze headphone, I respect the work they have done as independent headphone makers. I'm sure it will all be fine and they will be able to continue much as they have done so far, just a bit sad to see another company "taken over" by one of the big boys. No judgement of either company, just.....yeah, a bit sad to see it.
My first question prompted by the initial takeover news was; Why did Audeze allow themselves to be bought out, was the company in some financial trouble and needed a lifeline to remain solvent.

Aug 30, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #7,692 of 7,693
Here is the context where I see this news:
Microsoft and Sony have been heavily investing in high profile acquisitions to bolster their lucrative video gaming business. Sony has acquired talented indie studios such as Housemarq and a 30% share of FromSoftware, which have continued to operate as talented studios with their own identities but now with more resources. In the headphone audio space, Sennheiser Consumer (headphones, not musician’s tools like mics, nor business telecom) was recently acquired by the medical-products funded Sonova, and they also appear to be continuing as they were with the benefit of more funding.

Though Audeze had some of their brain assets spin off as Rosson Audio, they have been hungry to grow and collaborated with companies like Kingston in the past. Business moves like this happen all the time. I think Sony was attracted to Audeze’s design talent and decided they were worth the investment. I also don’t believe agreements like this happen in one night, rather they have been in talks to work out a mutually beneficial agreement for some time.

So, I believe this was an amicable event, and I believe the Audeze brand will continue with the funding to expand, also we may see more Planar Magnetic products from Sony and PlayStation. I also don’t think the Xbox-compatible Maxwell will be discontinued immediately, though it’s up in the air if future models will pay the Xbox licensing fee (we all know M$ purchased Bethesda and now we have an exclusive Starfield, but several PlayStation Studio games have made their way to the other platform).

Aug 30, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #7,693 of 7,693
One company that richly deserves to be bought out by Sony would be Smyth Research. Bring their product down to some level of sanity price wise and infuse product reliability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back