Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Jan 2, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #7,666 of 7,693
.............And here is Mobius Achilles Heel:
There is no other way than from a computer to get true 7.1 surround sound into Mobius.............
I agree, They need to address this rather massive shortcoming. They would do better to implement this change together with QC issues.

Jan 3, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #7,667 of 7,693
I agree, They need to address this rather massive shortcoming. They would do better to implement this change together with QC issues.
That's not a Mobius limitation. That's mostly a limitation of the source. Reality is that practically everything with generic usb drivers ONLY do 2 channel through USB.

This is like asking a TV to do 240hz refresh rate when they only come equipped with 60hz capabilities.

So...yeah. Not possible that I know of.

The only way I see a headset could take in 5.1/7.1 is if it came with some hdmi/optical inputs. Have you ever heard a headset with those ports? No. By then, we'd have to make a specialized 7.1 to USB converter that could take those inputs, decode them, and THEN have that sent to the Mobius.

You'd have to ask DAC/AVR receiver manufacturers to make such a thing. A device that can convert HDMI/optical audio into 7.1 USB feasible.

Interesting, and I'd like one myself, but I've never heard such a thing.

Dunno a thing about the Ipad, so I can't say anthing about that. Not a MAC guy.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #7,668 of 7,693
Asking Audeze to get 7.1 audio from an iPad is like asking Bridgestone Tires to get electric power from a gas SAAB car. Like KaiSC said, apps and the iOS software don’t support 7.1 audio output on iPads or other iOS devices, so there’s nothing to send 7.1 to the Mobius from these mobile devices.

I’m not an Alphabet/Google guy, so I don’t know if Android apps and hardware support 7.1 output (encoded or LPCM). I do know some Android devices have mini-HDMI outputs, so… maybe? Lol maybe I can check my NVIDIA SHIELD.

However, some apps process spatial / binaural / virtual surround for headphones before outputting audio, so that would work even though the processing is before the Mobius’ NX Waves magic. PUBG Mobile and CoD Mobile are notable examples, and Apple Music has entire playlists devoted to Spatial Audio. I don’t know if combining the Mobius’ head tracking (which includes some surround processing) stacked on top of the app’s spatial audio would sound good or bad though.

Jan 3, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #7,669 of 7,693
That's not a Mobius limitation. That's mostly a limitation of the source. Reality is that practically everything with generic usb drivers ONLY do 2 channel through USB.

This is like asking a TV to do 240hz refresh rate when they only come equipped with 60hz capabilities.

The only way I see a headset could take in 5.1/7.1 is if it came with some hdmi/optical inputs. Have you ever heard a headset with those ports? No. By then, we'd have to make a specialized 7.1 to USB converter that could take those inputs, decode them, and THEN have that sent to the Mobius.

You'd have to ask DAC/AVR receiver manufacturers to make such a thing. A device that can convert HDMI/optical audio into 7.1 USB feasible.

Jan 3, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #7,671 of 7,693
the jvc exofield xp-ext1 has hdmi inputs which can even give dolby atmos .
That's a $1000 product with essentially its own AVR. And JVC does more than headphones. They do everything. Audeze is a small company with less than 50 employees focusing mainly on headphones.

Just saying, it's like comparing a mom and pop shop with Walmart. 😉

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #7,672 of 7,693

These things exist since the ‘90s, and I have one:

The AKG HEARO Audiosphere 999 has optical Dolby Digital 5.1 inputs and a HRTF based 3D emulation.
The ‘phones by themself do sound good, but the 3D function doesn’t.
BTW: it’s wireless with digital RF transmission in full CD quality!

1641255573045.jpeg

There are later models too, and others have done it, like Beyerdynamic, even offering headtracking.

Today HDMI is THE standard, HDMI audio extractors come in various flavors and don’t cost much.
This would be a way to go for a future Mobius II.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #7,673 of 7,693
Again, these are from faaaaaar bigger companies. And these are combo units. The Mobius was a crowdfunding product where Audeze had to meet certain targets and price point. Everything is packed onto the headphone itself.

Yes, a potential future product can have MORE, but again, we're speaking of incredibly niche things you guys want implemented (I never said I wouldn't want to see these things, but let's be real, they are niche.)

You say HDMI is the standard, yet how many headphone-centric products actually utilize it? I'm gonna guess NOT many. Beyerdynamic Headzone (which I owned myself, and doesn't have HDMI) is extremely expensive. Smyth Realizer...again, VERY expensive. I have to assume HDMI licensing ain't cheap either. Probably why so few devices that are audio-centric utilize it. Just guessing.

Audeze is not a traditional amp/dac manufacturer. So even in the scope of Audeze, it's falling well outside of the normal product output. Not that Audeze can't do it, but it's simply not something to be expected.

And people are complaining about USB 7.1 audio, which as stated once again, is reserved to PC mainly because SOURCES don't have the ability. That isn't up to the Headphone. It's up to the source. So complain to Sony, Xbox, Nintendo, etc. tell them to have USB audio that supports 7.1. Believe me, I'm dying for PC-centric headsets and amp/dacs to have full functionality outside of PC. I've been wanting this for a decade. Just gotta have source devices think the same way. Unfortunately, audio is so far below most non-audio manufacturer's tier of importance.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #7,675 of 7,693
Is there any chances of a second revision with a sturdier build? :) Or will that impact the price too much? I guess you're not allowed to talk about it so I guess my question's pointless..
There already is a somewhat improved version with some reinforcement ribs on the most critical point.

My 1st version (Indiegogo), despite heavily used doesn’t show any problem.

My guess is, the chinese manufacturer doesn’t have consistent thermal handling when moulding the plastic parts.
So the plastic is brittle on some specimen, despite beeing quite elastic on most, like demonstrated in early promotion videos.

Jan 6, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #7,676 of 7,693
Is there any chances of a second revision with a sturdier build? :) Or will that impact the price too much? I guess you're not allowed to talk about it so I guess my question's pointless..
On the latest Head-fi YouTube video of Audeze LCD-5 reveal, I commented that I was happy they haven't forgotten about Mobius, and expressed my hope of a future upgrade. @Audeze was kind to cryptically respond with: "We are not done for the year"!

Last year just ended without the expected announcement, but we're still at the beginning of the new year. Also CES 2022 is upon us.

I have hope for Mobius 2 with more durable construction!

Jul 31, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #7,677 of 7,693
On the latest Head-fi YouTube video of Audeze LCD-5 reveal, I commented that I was happy they haven't forgotten about Mobius, and expressed my hope of a future upgrade. @Audeze was kind to cryptically respond with: "We are not done for the year"!

Last year just ended without the expected announcement, but we're still at the beginning of the new year. Also CES 2022 is upon us.

I have hope for Mobius 2 with more durable construction!
I have no issues with the durability or rigidity of Mobius, but it’s definitely exciting to hear that Audeze has more products to introduce since I noticed that Mobius is sold out on their site.

Aug 2, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #7,678 of 7,693
I have no issues with the durability or rigidity of Mobius, but it’s definitely exciting to hear that Audeze has more products to introduce since I noticed that Mobius is sold out on their site.
Hey Michael, good to see you’re still enjoying your Mobius! Audeze is fortunate to have a fan like you :)

I still own a “team blue” Mobius, but I haven’t tried to see if the head tracking works well with my PS5’s built-in spatial audio yet. I’ll have to try that out!

Aug 2, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #7,679 of 7,693
The AKG HEARO Audiosphere 999 has optical Dolby Digital 5.1 inputs and a HRTF based 3D emulation.
Sennheiser still sells their wireless RF headphones with the DD optical-accepting base station and HRTF processing, too.

However, even Sennheiser hasn’t made an updated model to support HDMI. My Smyth Realizer does have HDMI inputs and a passthrough output (for the video), but HDMI standards move quickly and I don’t get all the features of my LG OLED television if the signal is passed through the Realiser first. Unlike optical, which pretty much didn’t physically change beyond the two connector standards (the more common squarish connector, and the round one that was designed for 3.5mm combo ports).

One possible solution is with the Playstation 5’s built-in Tempest 3D headphone surround processing. Since it’s the console performing as a DSP, Sony enabled that with the USB outputs. So, plugging in the Mobius or even the Penrose’s USB dongle should allow surround goodness to reach the headphones, and it’s especially nice because it’s truly 3D, unlike Dolby 7.1 which is just a 2D “ring” around the listening position.

I don’t know yet how well “double stacking” the PS5’s tempest 3D processing and the Mobius’ headtracking works, but it might be fun to test out.

Aug 2, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #7,680 of 7,693
Unfortunately I had.
One driver does not work any longer. As I live in Germany Audeze does not provide driver change through any local distributor in the world. Sending them back to the US is just too expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back