Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Jul 13, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #5,673 of 5,780
mx6e9br.jpeg
that is the exact place mine broke, and I am certain the crack started on the inside just below that screwed on plastic bit. that small plastic screwed on is the main point I make, if it were longer "think wishbone" with another set of anchor screws I feel it just may solve the problem. you can just look at the headset and say if its going to fail and break its going to be right there. I have LOVED my headset but so bummed out about it breaking. prolly bought mine to long ago for Audeze to care about mine ( I was on the first bandwagon). @Audeze if you can help me out gimme a shout.

Jul 13, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #5,674 of 5,780
that is the exact place mine broke, and I am certain the crack started on the inside just below that screwed on plastic bit. that small plastic screwed on is the main point I make, if it were longer "think wishbone" with another set of anchor screws I feel it just may solve the problem. you can just look at the headset and say if its going to fail and break its going to be right there. I have LOVED my headset but so bummed out about it breaking. prolly bought mine to long ago for Audeze to care about mine ( I was on the first bandwagon). @Audeze if you can help me out gimme a shout.
Email us at support@audeze.com so we can assist you.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Aug 12, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #5,675 of 5,780
I wrote in this thread two years ago that my hinges are slightly cracking on the left side of the headband. That was after two years of getting them from IndieGogo. Audeze Support was great and exchanged them to a new Headset. It seems though that the flaw still hasn’t been fixed. After another two years my (new) replacement unit also started to crack, so much so that it completely broke of. Even though they mostly just sat on an headset stand.

Audeze Support is offering me a replacement B-Stock unit for around 110 usd excluding Tax and Shipping (i live in Europe so i can add another 100 usd).

Im really really unsure if this is a good idea - do you guys know if they fixed the flaw in newer revisions or with Penrose? I’m not above buying a new headset if it is fixed. If not - does anyone know a similar sounding replacement device for around 300 usd? It’s hard to go back to standard Gaming headsets…

Attachments

• DF00416D-C5CE-45A6-85EF-E9DE13C3B768.jpeg
    DF00416D-C5CE-45A6-85EF-E9DE13C3B768.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Aug 12, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #5,676 of 5,780
Look into Edifier Stax Spirit S3. I like the sound of the Mobius more, but the other also uses Audeze planars but with less bass. The hinges are also completely different but feel more sturdy

Aug 12, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #5,677 of 5,780
I wrote in this thread two years ago that my hinges are slightly cracking on the left side of the headband. That was after two years of getting them from IndieGogo. Audeze Support was great and exchanged them to a new Headset. It seems though that the flaw still hasn’t been fixed. After another two years my (new) replacement unit also started to crack, so much so that it completely broke of. Even though they mostly just sat on an headset stand.

Audeze Support is offering me a replacement B-Stock unit for around 110 usd excluding Tax and Shipping (i live in Europe so i can add another 100 usd).

Im really really unsure if this is a good idea - do you guys know if they fixed the flaw in newer revisions or with Penrose? I’m not above buying a new headset if it is fixed. If not - does anyone know a similar sounding replacement device for around 300 usd? It’s hard to go back to standard Gaming headsets…
This may not be an option for you but once one of my headphones cracked near the hinge. I used two part epoxy first to set the joint back together. After it set I used dental floss and wet it with more two part epoxy. I weaved it in and around the joint, considering how the forces would act on it. It basically sets up a woven resin matrix. It's a bit messy and not the most attractive. Just an idea since you'd probably end up throwing them out anyway.

Aug 22, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #5,679 of 5,780
So mine just cracked, got an offer for B-stock. I appreciate the support that Audeze continues to give for these, quite frankly, otherwise excellent headphones. A big part of my frustration is that these headphones are so good, that this hinge issue makes dealing with it so upsetting. If these were just garbage then I could just write a bad review, chuck them in my trash can and be done with it.
But I want to use my Mobius, they're my favorite gaming/movie/go-to headphones on my PC. It's going to be really hard to replace with an equivalent from another brand because not only do I love the sound, I love all the features: the wireless-ness, I love the head-tracking, everything. Is there no other headset on the market that does these things? If not, does Audeze plan on Mobius 2 (now with no hiss and reliable hinges)? Cuz put me on that pre-order list now.

Aug 22, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #5,680 of 5,780
So mine just cracked, got an offer for B-stock. I appreciate the support that Audeze continues to give for these, quite frankly, otherwise excellent headphones. A big part of my frustration is that these headphones are so good, that this hinge issue makes dealing with it so upsetting. If these were just garbage then I could just write a bad review, chuck them in my trash can and be done with it.
But I want to use my Mobius, they're my favorite gaming/movie/go-to headphones on my PC. It's going to be really hard to replace with an equivalent from another brand because not only do I love the sound, I love all the features: the wireless-ness, I love the head-tracking, everything. Is there no other headset on the market that does these things? If not, does Audeze plan on Mobius 2 (now with no hiss and reliable hinges)? Cuz put me on that pre-order list now.

Yamaha has a HP with head tracking:

YH-L700A​

Then, this is coming out soon:

https://www.lg.com/us/headphones/lg-tone-t90q-white

I wonder how much Audeze would have to pay Dolby to license for Atmos in a "Mobius 2" like in the LG?

I have gravited to the Airpods Pro myself for most late night media "consumption". I actually used both the Airpods Pro and Mobius last night.

Aug 22, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #5,682 of 5,780
Intriguing. Are there any review shootouts between this Yamaha and the Mobius? I'd like to compare the two for the future replacement for when my B-stock hinge inevitably goes.
I haven't really looked into it myself and I don't see it talked about much. 🤷‍♂️

There is also the:

JBL Quantum One​

👇This is on clearance for $100 with Waves NX:

1MORE Spearhead VRX​

Aug 22, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #5,683 of 5,780
This may not be an option for you but once one of my headphones cracked near the hinge. I used two part epoxy first to set the joint back together. After it set I used dental floss and wet it with more two part epoxy. I weaved it in and around the joint, considering how the forces would act on it. It basically sets up a woven resin matrix. It's a bit messy and not the most attractive. Just an idea since you'd probably end up throwing them out anyway.
If one modified the basic idea:

• use glass-fiber-mat like model-builders,
• and epoxy the hinge from the inside only.

The result could be a sturdy AND attractive repair.

Even better, if one has a soldering iron with adjustable temperature:
At ca. 250 °C you melt the plastic and weld the broken parts together.
Can even melt in some glas fiber for stabilizing.

The trick is, to put a wet piece of cloth to the visible outside.
This way this part of the plastic doesn’t melt, keeps it’s form and finally looks like new..

When done, use the epoxy/glass fiber to stabilize from the inside.
If you raw the surface with the iron - lots of melted pinpoint dots e.g., the epoxy sticks even better.

I’ve repaired dozens of broken plastic parts this way, stronger than new.

Of course, if one is worried about his Mobius breaking, beeing a DIY-er, the glas-epoxy reinforcements could be done in advance.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #5,684 of 5,780
As a non DIY-er, is there any chance to get written out, detailed instruction, all the way down to "what exactly to buy"? There's a lot of times I go over to Home Depot and say "Hey, can I get epoxy glue" or something to that effect and they reply "what kind" and then my eyes glass over and it cascades straight to the ground from there.

Aug 22, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #5,685 of 5,780

I am coming back to this thread after 20 months. This has happened to me several times and Audeze support was excellent at replacing the headphone. Also, i figured out what may have been causing it for me and I now extend it all the way before i put it on my head and so far it is working very well for me. I hope that they are listening and work on this design flaw because that is what is giving this otherwise excellent headphone a bad name.

I still have to find a better BT wireless headphone and I am willing to spend as much as needed and I have tried a lot of them ( listed in my last post in this thread in Jan 2021). Any suggestions are still welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back