Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Jan 4, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #5,611 of 5,780
My thoughts on the Mobius:
Got these during the Indiegogo campaign, there were bugs within its firmware where the center point always misaligned over several hours of use, Audeze CS never did solve the issue and if i recall there were several others in this thread who had the same issue, my suspicion is it might have something to do with micro head adjustments, but later on new firmware came out to just turn 3D off, lets face it, 3D was just a fun gimmick.

Over the 3+ years i've had the Mobius, i replaced the earpads with Dekoni suede ones because the original earpads deteriorated, but these Dekoni pads only lasted 1 year before the fabric started detaching from the inner foam and they smell bad, i'll end up just getting the official earpads again. The headband adjustment region cracked where I was lucky the electrical wire didn't snap as it was the only thing holding the earcup in place so I had to install a splint and gorilla glue the crevice so the headphones can no longer adjust then sealed it with electrical tape, and lastly the headband leather that sits on my head has all but rotted away so i cut up a black micro fibre cloth and superglued it and again cleaned up the end points with electrical tape.

I keep repairing these headphones because for me, they are the best sounding headphones that require no amp, provide the best positional cues of enemies in games compared to other products i've tested, Sound Blaster X3, Sennheiser GSX 1000, PC37X, Fidelio X2.
And if the Mobius does end up finally dying on me, i'll end up just purchasing another Mobius.

Jan 4, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #5,612 of 5,780
My thoughts on the Mobius:
Got these during the Indiegogo campaign, there were bugs within its firmware where the center point always misaligned over several hours of use, Audeze CS never did solve the issue and if i recall there were several others in this thread who had the same issue, my suspicion is it might have something to do with micro head adjustments, but later on new firmware came out to just turn 3D off, lets face it, 3D was just a fun gimmick.

Over the 3+ years i've had the Mobius, i replaced the earpads with Dekoni suede ones because the original earpads deteriorated, but these Dekoni pads only lasted 1 year before the fabric started detaching from the inner foam and they smell bad, i'll end up just getting the official earpads again. The headband adjustment region cracked where I was lucky the electrical wire didn't snap as it was the only thing holding the earcup in place so I had to install a splint and gorilla glue the crevice so the headphones can no longer adjust then sealed it with electrical tape, and lastly the headband leather that sits on my head has all but rotted away so i cut up a black micro fibre cloth and superglued it and again cleaned up the end points with electrical tape.

I keep repairing these headphones because for me, they are the best sounding headphones that require no amp, provide the best positional cues of enemies in games compared to other products i've tested, Sound Blaster X3, Sennheiser GSX 1000, PC37X, Fidelio X2.
And if the Mobius does end up finally dying on me, i'll end up just purchasing another Mobius.
I sold it. Simply because build quality sucks my first one got broke I sold the second one right away. I haven’t seen such stupid design of headphones the parts that are most fragile are the ones that holds the headset together it’s mind boggling to me why even the inner plastic parts play a crucial role to hold the cups straight I don’t understand. Anyway, when it comes to positioning I recommend you to try pc38x bro. Or AKG712 pro with GSX1000 or sound blaster G6. Blows Mobius out of the water.

Jan 12, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #5,613 of 5,780
Got a cloud orbis s (a set based on the audeze mobius) and after reading reviews from consumers about it and also after reading here in this forum I am really concerned about build quality and that it will crack. What are your best tips to avoid cracks and to extent its life span?

Jan 13, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #5,614 of 5,780
Got a cloud orbis s (a set based on the audeze mobius) and after reading reviews from consumers about it and also after reading here in this forum I am really concerned about build quality and that it will crack. What are your best tips to avoid cracks and to extent its life span?
Honestly just be careful with it. Don't chuck it around, don't drop it on your desk, etc etc. I believe the crack issue should technically be solved on any of the post-Indiegogo Rev 1 headsets, but I've also heard reports of cracks on the Orbis and Orbis S, which should be post revision, so I'm not 100% sure. I've had my Mobius since somewhere between March/May of 2020, no issues besides the leather part of my headband wearing out a bit (really need to replace it...). I know some community member actually created a 3d print design for the Mobius's hinge (which is the part that cracks), so you might want to look at that and download the files if you're worried about the hinge cracking sometime in the future.

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #5,615 of 5,780
Welp, my replacement headphones (replaced December of last year because my original pair's yoke broke), also broke. The plastic piece on the bottom of the headband, next to the leather, that holds the headphone length in place and covers up the wire, popped off. The plastic is shorn and I can't get it to stay in place. I may try duct tape or something just to hold it on.

I already submitted a ticket to Audeze, but I'm curious if anyone else had this issue, and if they were able to find a serviceable solution. It's disappointing how bad the structural support of these headphones can be, but I keep coming back to them because they sound so good.
I had the same issue but my swivel broke first before this happened to me. And no super glue does not hold those parts and you need to get a replacement. The bad thing is it is such a crucial piece for the headset if they’re not there then the cups loosen up. They fall off from your ears. Lol

Jan 14, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #5,616 of 5,780
Check my fix pics from earlier, it require a DIY fix and a pair of discarded headphones with a metal headband or similar. There are lots of cheap ones that can have their metal headbands repurposed. Fixed mine and had them rocking since then.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #5,617 of 5,780
I had the same issue but my swivel broke first before this happened to me. And no super glue does not hold those parts and you need to get a replacement. The bad thing is it is such a crucial piece for the headset if they’re not there then the cups loosen up. They fall off from your ears. Lol
Yeah, I ended up sending them back and getting a B-stock pair.

I didn't realize they changed the USB-A to USB-C cable. I received a 10-ft braided cable, instead of the 3-ft one I received with my other two mobius's (mobii?). The irony is I preferred the shorter cable; I plugged it into the front of my PC right next to me, and didn't have to worry about it getting tangled.

Jan 18, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #5,618 of 5,780
Based on comments saying that HyperX Cloud Orbit S is just an exact clone of Mobius without Bluetooth I bought myself a pair 2 months ago.

I have a friend who bought Audeze Mobius about 2 years ago and back then I was really amazed by its sound and functionality. Just never wanted to spend 400 euros just for a gaming headset, so HyperX for 249 euros seemed like a great deal.
Shortly before buying HyperX, I borrow Mobius from my friend again just to be sure that I still like the sound after all firmware updates. For me, they just deliver the best bass that I ever heard - strong, deep and tight. Just perfect for my taste, so I ordered HyperX expecting the same experience.

When HyperX arrived I overall like them but not as much as Mobius. What annoyed me the most was huge difference between left and right channels in hi-res or stereo mode. The left earcup seems to deliver richer and overall deeper sound while the right one - much thinner. That was ruining the whole listening experience. In the end for those 2 months, I barely used them for music, just for gaming where together with 3d effect the channel difference do not annoyed me so much. The only reason why I didn't return them was a conviction, even made in this topic by Audeze themselves, that HyperX has exactly the same drivers and sound tuning as Mobius.

Distaste didn't let me go, so I decided to borrow Mobius from my good friend (for the 3rd time :D) to do a direct comparison between my 2 months old HyperX Cloud Orbit S and his 2+ years old Audeze Mobius. Both headsets had the newest firmware and I tested them in hi-res mode with a flat sound preset. The difference is really huge.
In Mobius, both channels are providing exactly the same rich and deep sound. The easiest to notify difference is in bass reproduction - it's much deeper and better pronounced by Mobius. I also tried to swap the pads between both headsets but that didn't seem to change anything. That is such a huge disappointment, so I decided to RMA my HyperX product.

I also checked side by side how the planar drivers are made in both headsets and made a photo.
There seems to be a difference as well. There is an additional plastic cover in HyperX.
I'm wondering if Audeze has changed the manufacturing process of Mobius during those 2 years as well. Are these still the same sounding headphones as 2 years ago?
What is the real difference between Audeze and HyperX except for Bluetooth? In my view, those headphones are totally different hardware and soundwise.
Or maybe just my pair is faulty?

K2xTJyJ.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #5,621 of 5,780
Based on comments saying that HyperX Cloud Orbit S is just an exact clone of Mobius without Bluetooth I bought myself a pair 2 months ago.

I have a friend who bought Audeze Mobius about 2 years ago and back then I was really amazed by its sound and functionality. Just never wanted to spend 400 euros just for a gaming headset, so HyperX for 249 euros seemed like a great deal.
Shortly before buying HyperX, I borrow Mobius from my friend again just to be sure that I still like the sound after all firmware updates. For me, they just deliver the best bass that I ever heard - strong, deep and tight. Just perfect for my taste, so I ordered HyperX expecting the same experience.

When HyperX arrived I overall like them but not as much as Mobius. What annoyed me the most was huge difference between left and right channels in hi-res or stereo mode. The left earcup seems to deliver richer and overall deeper sound while the right one - much thinner. That was ruining the whole listening experience. In the end for those 2 months, I barely used them for music, just for gaming where together with 3d effect the channel difference do not annoyed me so much. The only reason why I didn't return them was a conviction, even made in this topic by Audeze themselves, that HyperX has exactly the same drivers and sound tuning as Mobius.

Distaste didn't let me go, so I decided to borrow Mobius from my good friend (for the 3rd time :D) to do a direct comparison between my 2 months old HyperX Cloud Orbit S and his 2+ years old Audeze Mobius. Both headsets had the newest firmware and I tested them in hi-res mode with a flat sound preset. The difference is really huge.
In Mobius, both channels are providing exactly the same rich and deep sound. The easiest to notify difference is in bass reproduction - it's much deeper and better pronounced by Mobius. I also tried to swap the pads between both headsets but that didn't seem to change anything. That is such a huge disappointment, so I decided to RMA my HyperX product.

I also checked side by side how the planar drivers are made in both headsets and made a photo.
There seems to be a difference as well. There is an additional plastic cover in HyperX.
I'm wondering if Audeze has changed the manufacturing process of Mobius during those 2 years as well. Are these still the same sounding headphones as 2 years ago?
What is the real difference between Audeze and HyperX except for Bluetooth? In my view, those headphones are totally different hardware and soundwise.
Or maybe just my pair is faulty?

K2xTJyJ.jpg
Faulty mate. Just faulty.

Feb 16, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #5,623 of 5,780
Bought a Mobius not too long ago, quite liking it actually, but is it normal for it to not save settings? Mine keeps switching back to Hi-Res mode on every boot.
You should probably try a firmware re-install to clear up any potential bugs.

Check the quote below. If you still have issues, contact us at support@audeze.com so we can directly assist you.

To start, please download the package found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HeC_nlgnbPRJaUvYtNU-Bn-fRJtZXym_/view?usp=sharing

Unzip the folder to your desktop using your computer’s archiving utility (you generally accomplish this by right clicking on the file and choosing “extract to”). Plug in your Mobius and make sure it's powered on with the mic mute switch DOWN.

In that package, make sure you install the latest version of the Audeze HQ app with the "AudezeHQ_Installer_53.exe" as an administrator by right clicking the icon and choosing "Run as Administrator".

Open the USB firmware updater folder. In this folder, run the file called "UacFwConfig.exe" as an administrator by right clicking the icon and choosing "Run as Administrator".

In the window that pops up, hit the "Load" button and navigate to the USB firmware updater folder. Choose the file "4042_FW_v102.rfw" and hit the "Update" button. Wait for the status bar to change from "Busy" to "Pass". Close this program.

Power cycle your Mobius by holding down the power button for 3 seconds, and then again until it turns back on.

Open the Audeze HQ app as an administrator by right clicking the icon and choosing "Run as Administrator"

In the "Firmware" tab, click the "Update FW" button and load the "MobiusFW_v5_2019_05_24 always_update.mfw" that came with the package.

Make sure you keep your headphones earcups down flat on your desk for the entirety of the update and follow all on screen directions to finish up the reinstallation.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Feb 16, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #5,624 of 5,780
You should probably try a firmware re-install to clear up any potential bugs.

Check the quote below. If you still have issues, contact us at support@audeze.com so we can directly assist you.

Thank you for the prompt reply. I reflashed as mentioned so will see how I go :)

EDIT: Issue still persists so may try again. Not too big of a deal though.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #5,625 of 5,780
Thank you for the prompt reply. I reflashed as mentioned so will see how I go :)

EDIT: Issue still persists so may try again. Not too big of a deal though.
I got my replacement pair a couple months ago, and they have the same issue. For me, they stay on 7.1, but the 3D gets reset to "3D manual" whenever I turn them back on. I don't unplug them from my PC. I reset the firmware, but the issue still happens. I don't think I did the "UacFwConfig.exe" steps, so I may re-try them all.

It's something I can live with, as I'm usually waiting anyways for programs to startup when I first turn on my computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back