Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 19, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #5,583 of 5,780
Cloud Orbit S is $230 on the Hyper X website.

Is that and the Mobius the only two headphones with both Waves Nx and a 7.1 mode?
Kingston (gaming) HyperX Cloud Orbit S is just a Mobius with Kingston software. Firmware is the same. Unless somethings has changed since it's release.
Edit: Half right, forgot to check my review notes.... So will pull this extra info.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #5,584 of 5,780
there is orbit S and non-S versions both have waves nx, non-s doesnt have gyro head tracking
For the little money difference, I advise against going non-gyro versions.

Sep 19, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #5,586 of 5,780
Checked what I could find about el-8 (here is the vid from factory) and I'm not sure - isn't it bigger driver like from lcd's or something? Anyways safe to assume with mobius/hyperx/penrose audeze went bose way with eq filtering things within the codec or the wnx chip.
Mobius and EL-8 Titanium drivers are about the same size and shape, at least.
I haven‘t disassembled either, but what‘s visible is about the same.

Both use single sided magnets, both are mounted into an about same sized housing.

Assuming the frequency response differences have a lot to do with Mobius‘ active equalization seems obvious.

Of course, you never twice swim in the same river, as they say.
So putting the same driver into slightly a different housing has an effect on the sound for sure.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #5,587 of 5,780
Against? I rated it as absolute gimmick, thus went non gyro
I like the gyro.
The only way I can get a realistic 3-D effect from headphones.

For me it’s not to turn around head fully left or right, here the Waves NX fails to stay realistic anyway.
It’s about little movements, where the gyro contributes a major part to fool the brain into a realistic immersive effect.

Without Head-Tracking 3-D, Mobius is a nice sounding headphone still, but I do own much better (and much more expensive) ‘phones that I do use with straight stereo.

Sep 19, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #5,588 of 5,780
Mobius and EL-8 Titanium drivers are about the same size and shape, at least.
I haven‘t disassembled either, but what‘s visible is about the same.

Both use single sided magnets, both are mounted into an about same sized housing.

Assuming the frequency response differences have a lot to do with Mobius‘ active equalization seems obvious.

Of course, you never twice swim in the same river, as they say.
So putting the same driver into slightly a different housing has an effect on the sound for sure.
Yea I noticed that, also looks like they just put magnet array horizontally with mobius ones no? I don't know about traces tho.
Couldn't find el8 or lcd1 fcc disassembly. But found some interesting patents they license)

Sep 19, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #5,591 of 5,780
I like the gyro.
The only way I can get a realistic 3-D effect from headphones.

For me it’s not to turn around head fully left or right, here the Waves NX fails to stay realistic anyway.
It’s about little movements, where the gyro contributes a major part to fool the brain into a realistic immersive effect.

Without Head-Tracking 3-D, Mobius is a nice sounding headphone still, but I do own much better (and much more expensive) ‘phones that I do use with straight stereo.

Agreed. For me, I actually barely use the Mobius with 3D off, and I tend to leave it in headtracking mode since I still get that little "wow" sensation every time I turn my body. If you don't care about having what is in my book, one of the best 3D audio solutions around, I think there might be better options for you in this category.

Sep 19, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #5,593 of 5,780
I know I'm lame for replying to my own question, but I did some Googling and the 1MORE Spearhead VRX has Waves Nx and I saw a video that it plugs in as a 8 channel device.

IIRC there's also a Waves NX head tracker that you can attach to any pair of headphones. I don't know much about it, it's >5 years old, so I would expect it to be inferior to the Mobius's implementation, but you might want to look at that too?

Sep 20, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #5,595 of 5,780
Cloud Orbit S is $230 on the Hyper X website.

Is that and the Mobius the only two headphones with both Waves Nx and a 7.1 mode?

You can purchase the Waves standalone plugin for windows for very cheap. But you only get three levels of Ambience, and no custom head measures (which I don't believe do much, anyway)
If your soundcard/dac doesnt have a 7.1 mode under windows' audio panel, you can make a virtual 7.1 device out of it by using HiFiCable, and then adding the plugin to it. Boom - waves NX on any headphone :)

or, even simpler: use HeSuVi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back