Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Jan 20, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #5,281 of 5,780
I figured it out. If connected via LDAC, there's no 3D. Once I disable LDAC, the 3D button worked as expected. The phone I had when I originally used the Mobius didn't support LDAC, so it wasn't an issue.

On my sheild I change the LDAC properties to 48khz in Dev options and 3D works with that.

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #5,282 of 5,780
Ok someone please help me my head hurts at this point. I want to connect these headphones to my tv since I’m playing games on the new Xbox. So I thought hooking up Xbox to an audio extractor which has 2 HDMI outputs one of which goes to tv and the other with a HDMI to micro USB cable to Mobius. Or the other one will directly go to the laptop where the audio will be decoded and then will finally be received by Mobius. Another thing I found is a digital to analog converter by Amazonbasics that looks like it has a micro USB output which I’m not sure if it’s capable of outputting audio. I asked and waiting for a response from them. I mean if something like apple cck can make it work why wouldn’t these methods work ? I’m not even trying to make 7.1 work. I just want to get best possible audio using 2 channel modes.

Jan 24, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #5,283 of 5,780
Ok someone please help me my head hurts at this point. I want to connect these headphones to my tv since I’m playing games on the new Xbox. So I thought hooking up Xbox to an audio extractor which has 2 HDMI outputs one of which goes to tv and the other with a HDMI to micro USB cable to Mobius. Or the other one will directly go to the laptop where the audio will be decoded and then will finally be received by Mobius. Another thing I found is a digital to analog converter by Amazonbasics that looks like it has a micro USB output which I’m not sure if it’s capable of outputting audio. I asked and waiting for a response from them. I mean if something like apple cck can make it work why wouldn’t these methods work ? I’m not even trying to make 7.1 work. I just want to get best possible audio using 2 channel modes.
To answer the question in short:

I did search such a solution since Mobius came out, and there is none.

If your Xbox’ USB out does not work with direct connection to Mobius, your only option is to connect Mobius analog 3.5 cable to your TV set’s or Xbox’ headphones output.

Sound wise I don’t hear a difference between Mobius’ USB and analog connection, only that you are limited to stereo.
You have to find out if you get sufficient volume.
Try the supplied cable 3.5 to 3.5 mm, and you will see.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #5,284 of 5,780

Your only option is to connect Mobius analog 3.5 cable to your TV set’s or Xbox’ headphones output.

Sound wise I don’t hear a difference between Mobius’ USB and analog connection, Only that you are limited to stereo.
Try the supplied cable 3.5-3.5 mm and you will see.

Thanks for your answer. It would be awesome if they released a female USB port for Xbox sx but I guess even then I’d be stuck with 2-channel mode as it is on ps5. If I don’t get sufficient enough volume I will just use an amp with the way you recommended before. It’s still nice I can use apple cck adapter to use these on USB mode on my iPhone.

Jan 24, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #5,285 of 5,780
I have had the chance to try my hands at a 2nd pair of Mobius.

I never would have thought there would be so many differences between 2 pair of headphones of the same model/company.

I've configured both with the same HRTF settings, same EQ, same sound source, same volume.

On my initial Mobius, sound stage seems a bit wider, bass is loud yet doesn't distort and overall it sounds pretty balanced (low, mid, high).

Second set seems like someone took the mids and boosted them in the EQ. On some songs, it definitely sounds crisper with mid so well defined. Or so I think because I am used to my first set so maybe this one sounds too loud in the mids (though maybe it is the way planar magnetic should sound).

I've tried a very heavy bass track and pushed volume at 100% and compared both. My initial set of Mobius handled it pretty well while the second one, while "louder" seemed to have some trouble handling the bass and distorted a bit (it was at 100% so maybe too loud?...) though I heard a bit more clarity between instruments.

Now I'm totally confused as to what planar magnetic headphones should sound like :) I'm also quite surprised to catch so many differences between two sets of the same model both powered by the same DAC.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #5,286 of 5,780
I have had the chance to try my hands at a 2nd pair of Mobius.

I never would have thought there would be so many differences between 2 pair of headphones of the same model/company.

I've configured both with the same HRTF settings, same EQ, same sound source, same volume.

On my initial Mobius, sound stage seems a bit wider, bass is loud yet doesn't distort and overall it sounds pretty balanced (low, mid, high).

Second set seems like someone took the mids and boosted them in the EQ. On some songs, it definitely sounds crisper with mid so well defined. Or so I think because I am used to my first set so maybe this one sounds too loud in the mids (though maybe it is the way planar magnetic should sound).

I've tried a very heavy bass track and pushed volume at 100% and compared both. My initial set of Mobius handled it pretty well while the second one, while "louder" seemed to have some trouble handling the bass and distorted a bit (it was at 100% so maybe too loud?...) though I heard a bit more clarity between instruments.

Now I'm totally confused as to what planar magnetic headphones should sound like :) I'm also quite surprised to catch so many differences between two sets of the same model both powered by the same DAC.
Do they have the same firmware?

The latest firmware changed the internal EQ preset to more bass, less treble.

By now I had the chance to measure 2 specimen.
There was a difference, but within the expected range, no night and day.

Jan 25, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #5,290 of 5,780
hello,
what exactly do you mean with an audio cue?(my english is limited).

I forget what it was exactly with the Mobius, but it’ll make a sound when you reach max or minimum volume. Typically it is a beep noise or something.

Jan 26, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #5,292 of 5,780
P_20210126_114318.jpg
P_20210126_131941.jpg

Jan 26, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #5,293 of 5,780
The dodgy usb-a cable coming with mobius shorted the USBC port of mobius. Burnt plastic smell and wonky connection now. :frowning2:

The rubber housing of the cable get rubbery and cracks like those of apple products.

But didn't know it could get that bad.

Jan 26, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #5,294 of 5,780
My understanding is 3D is just an another utilization of 7.1 5.1 surround using waves nx. That’s why it works well with 7.1 surround mode which is an another vss of Mobius. Isn’t it possible to create a mix that won’t mess things up when I turn on 3D mode with Dolby Atmos ? I’m assuming they don’t have control over how Dolby atmos delivers vss from Xbox or tempest from ps5 so if that’s the case can the 3D mode itself be implemented to Dolby Atmos mix somehow ? I would only use waves nx on my pc but since I mainly game on Xbox it would be a lot more sensible for me to have Dolby atmos as default and its mix with 3D. Does this make any sense ? Lol. I just wanna send a request to Audeze and learn if it can be done.

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #5,295 of 5,780

If your Xbox’ USB out does not work with direct connection to Mobius, your only option is to connect Mobius analog 3.5 cable to your TV set’s or Xbox’ headphones output.

Sound wise I don’t hear a difference between Mobius’ USB and analog connection, only that you are limited to stereo.
Try the supplied cable 3.5 to 3.5 mm, and you will see.

Do you think something like this may work ? I mean it looks like highly possible with this thing. I am just not entirely sure if I can output audio via Ethernet of Xbox Series X. But if that’s possible I can output the audio via USB to Mobius directly from Xbox with this thing.

http://www.sonore.us/ultraRendu.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back