Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Dec 22, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #5,207 of 5,780
Hi!

No not all taking this as condescending! Thank you so much for answering and trying to help.

You mean center in 3d mode?
Yes, also when you flashed the firmware did you experience any issues?
I received a set of carbon's for an RMA and I've never experienced an issue like that so far on these or my previous set.
Have you tried different usb ports also?

Dec 22, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #5,208 of 5,780
Yes, also when you flashed the firmware did you experience any issues?
I received a set of carbon's for an RMA and I've never experienced an issue like that so far on these or my previous set.
Have you tried different usb ports also?
Actually, I didn't have to flash the firmware, they were already up to the latest.

Yes I did center them.

Also, just to make sure it wasn't my biological right ear, I flipped the headphones (right earcup on left ear and vice versa). Same weird pressure feeling coming from the right earcup on my left ear. Just wondering if the magnets in that kind of technology could be responsible for this.

Yes I did try them in different USB ports (2.0 and 3.0 on different locations... rear of PC and front panel)... All the same.

If I may ask, what was the reason of your RMA?

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #5,209 of 5,780
Hi,
I dont like it, its not the best, if it was ill be Ok without sound blaster just using my headphones with motherboard DAC.
I have both ATMOS headphones and DTS headphone X, mostly i got them to get easy headphone surround on Series X, they also work on PC.
And its completely meh.
Also they disbaled that option to take 7.1 surround and convert, it was in the audio setting but was removed some time ago, maybe its always on now, maybe it doesnt work anyone and if you listen to regular 5.1 and 7.1 it downsampled to stereo instead of ATMOS for headphones.

The rumor was that Mobious has the best surround, so i want to hear from people what they think about that
Spatial Sound virtualizes 7.1 by default now - you don't need that checkbox.

The 3D on the Mobius has a bigger sound stage, but there's a distinct echo at the default setting of 30, and significant reverb even at 15. Below 15, the sound stage is quite small and diminishes wow-effect of the head-tracking. The head-tracking does not produce an even front sound stage to my ears and there's an abrupt shift from center to left / right. Overall I prefer 3D on with head-tracking off.

The 7.1 output in games is not as accurate as the in-game headphone mode even in older games, and no where close to the object-based rendering of the headphone mode in spatial-sound-aware games. For this reason, 7.1 headphones are obsolete.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #5,210 of 5,780
I connected the möbius to my iPhone and had the chance to use it over FaceTime. I was told by the other end that there’s a tapping noise which I couldn’t hear. This finding was consistent with another recipient whom I spoke with. Anyone had the same experience?

Dec 22, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #5,211 of 5,780
I connected the möbius to my iPhone and had the chance to use it over FaceTime. I was told by the other end that there’s a tapping noise which I couldn’t hear. This finding was consistent with another recipient whom I spoke with. Anyone had the same experience?
The Bluetooth Headset Profile is buggy on my Mobius as well. Sometimes the audio starts buzzing like it's at the wrong sample rate, or the other side hears a distorted sound. The A2DP profile is fine.

Dec 22, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #5,212 of 5,780
Can you elaborate please? I mean you look at the screen right, so how does head tracking help?
I use 55inch OLED for PC screen, so i move my had a little bit, but just a tiny bit
In real live the ears use small head movements to support localization of a sound source.
Mobius emulates this effect.

Without headtracking I personally don't get an "out of head"- experience with any "spacial virtualisation" system I ever tried.
I just get strange sound colorations.
With Mobius it works for me, without strange sound.

One has to experience this to understand.
It's like the 3D effect of an ocouus rift where you can look around and the artificial world around you stays in place.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #5,213 of 5,780
I also have a question regarding the battery...

I'm using most of the time my Mobius connected to my PC through the USB port. I know it can be harmful for some batteries to keep them charged up and connected all the time.

Do you think it would be better on the long run to let my battery discharge by turning off charging and charge it when it's getting close to 0%?

Dec 23, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #5,214 of 5,780
Do you think it would be better on the long run to let my battery discharge by turning off charging and charge it when it's getting close to 0%?
No.

Dec 23, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #5,215 of 5,780
What about Sound quality on Panda vs Mobius? Some are saying the Panda is better. But I’ve only heard blanket statements, “it’s better for music” or “it just sounds better”. I wonder if it’s the soundstage or imaging? I haven’t hear anything technical. What exactly makes it better? The world may never know. 😂

Dec 24, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #5,217 of 5,780
What about Sound quality on Panda vs Mobius? Some are saying the Panda is better. But I’ve only heard blanket statements, “it’s better for music” or “it just sounds better”. I wonder if it’s the soundstage or imaging? I haven’t hear anything technical. What exactly makes it better? The world may never know. 😂
To be honest, the boring answer is: YMMV. This is pretty much like mechanical keyboard switches... it's a pretty subjective point of view and what sounds good for someone might not be the same for you.

When it comes to how one pair of headphones sounds compared to another, I personally like Z reviews sound demo on Youtube (not sure I am allowed to link Youtube video here). When I listened to Panda compared to Mobius, Panda sounded "clean" but without any "punch" compared to Mobius. I also personally have that tendency to favor a company that developed and specialized in planar magnetic high end headphones for multiple years (Audeze) compared to a company for all around products (outdoor, mechanical keyboard, knives, etc like Drop). Their mechanical keyboards are not so bad though, I kinda like my Drop Alt mech keyboard :)

That lack of "punch" is probably easy to identify. Panda has a 55 mm ribbon planar magnetic while Mobius comes with a 100 mm planar magnetic driver. Well, hard cold numbers tell me 100mm vs 55mm is almost double.

Both variants (Panda and Mobius) offer Bluetooth up to LDAC. Panda has a better battery life (30'ish hours vs 10'ish hours for Mobius).

I also personally prefer the look of the Mobius over the Panda one. First, I wanted to get my hands on a copper one, but I also really wanted a brand new pair. Since the only new one left I could find were carbon, I went for that. Man are they growing on me, I really like that carbon color.

Comfort wise, the first few hours are not the best. The clamp force is definitely there and it puts some pressure on your head but after a day or two, it eases nicely and memory foam does it job. That's also something to keep in mind as many people say the Panda do not relax at all and keeps that high clamping force on your head. Depends on your physiognomy.

My 2 cents (which is worth what it is :))... if you need that better battery life, Panda is probably the best choice. For everything else though, Mobius outclasses Panda in terms of sound quality and options (that on-the-fly ability to switch source mode and adjust EQ is pretty damn convenient if you ask me... would have preferred totally customizable EQ but 8 gives some playground).

Regarding this, anybody knows if hardware limits the possibility to add customizable EQ or if it's a business decision to keep preset EQ?

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #5,218 of 5,780
Oh and regarding soundstage, I've seen a couple of reviews stating the Panda soundstage is pretty thin (even on Drop website there are reviews endorsing this). My listening on Youtube and other sources tends to confirm this but I haven't directly listened to them on my ears.

Dec 24, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #5,219 of 5,780
Actually, I didn't have to flash the firmware, they were already up to the latest.

Yes I did center them.

Also, just to make sure it wasn't my biological right ear, I flipped the headphones (right earcup on left ear and vice versa). Same weird pressure feeling coming from the right earcup on my left ear. Just wondering if the magnets in that kind of technology could be responsible for this.

Yes I did try them in different USB ports (2.0 and 3.0 on different locations... rear of PC and front panel)... All the same.

If I may ask, what was the reason of your RMA?
My RMA was for a headband crack, if you are still having problems see if you can swap them or contact Audeze support.
One of the best support teams I've ever dealt with, they will take care of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back