Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Nov 18, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #5,161 of 5,780
The microphone is unusable in gaming since the audio quality drops severely.
The A50 has inferior bass and distortion, but is a good wireless headset with microphone.
The Penrose is a better wireless headset and the microphone works properly unlike over Bluetooth.
7.1 surround on the headphone side is dead. Everything will be done at the source going forward, so you need only a stereo headset.

Ok thanks for the info. How well does the Penrose deal with spatial sounds? The Mobius has the 7.1 setting which I use most of the time and find pretty good and clear compared to my SteelSeries wireless. I'd hate to give that up.

Nov 18, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #5,162 of 5,780
Ok thanks for the info. How well does the Penrose deal with spatial sounds? The Mobius has the 7.1 setting which I use most of the time and find pretty good and clear compared to my SteelSeries wireless. I'd hate to give that up.
Sending 7.1 surround to the headset is obsolete. You need only stereo headphones. The source handles all virtualization with Atmos for Headphones.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #5,163 of 5,780
Sending 7.1 surround to the headset is obsolete. You need only stereo headphones. The source handles all virtualization with Atmos for Headphones.

So if I swap to Penrose, I will be able to run wireless. Will I lose anything in terms of gaming sound performance in comparison with the Mobius in wired mode?

Sorry for all the questions, I did try and read up but it's confusing to me.

I'm not an audiophile and I have other headphones for listening to music/watching movies while traveling etc. For me the sole purpose is gaming and getting the most out of the experience.

Nov 18, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #5,164 of 5,780
Still curious about the Astro A50 and if anybody has compared them for gaming?
The microphone is unusable in gaming since the audio quality drops severely.
The A50 has inferior bass and distortion, but is a good wireless headset with microphone.

I disagree. I don't think the A50 is a good pair at all. Numerous QC complaints for one. They also are pretty non-versatile - you can't even use them wired!

Nov 18, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #5,165 of 5,780
So if I swap to Penrose, I will be able to run wireless. Will I lose anything in terms of gaming sound performance in comparison with the Mobius in wired mode?

Sorry for all the questions, I did try and read up but it's confusing to me.

I'm not an audiophile and I have other headphones for listening to music/watching movies while traveling etc. For me the sole purpose is gaming and getting the most out of the experience.
The Penrose wireless is lossless. The ~14 ms latency may be too high for rhythm games etc. but you can plug it in wired via 3.5 mm.

Forget about the "gaming" aspect of any headset. The Penrose is the best low latency wireless headset by far. It has built-in DSP with elevated sub-bass for equal loudness unlike the full sized planars. If you don't need wireless then get a Mobius as that also has DSP elevated sub-bass for equal loudness. If you can EQ the headphones, there are far more comfortable wired headphones like the Focal Elegia, Aeon 2 Closed, etc.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #5,166 of 5,780
Hi guys...

I "retired" from my head fi journey a good 8 years ago. Was using TOTL HD800s, Beyer T1s and various IEMs back then but I stopped and sold them all. Now I'm using a Sony WI-1000x and a cheapo USB gaming headphones. But this headphone caught my "ears" again. It fits all my all use case now. Mainly PC gaming and LDAC music off my phone. 3D seems interesting for my triple screen sim racing. And yes, the itch for higher fidelity is coming back sadly...

Is the Mobius still worth it new in Dec 2020? I'm loving the reviews I've been reading so far, great sound for BT and super versatile and convenient. But the bad build quality and cracking plastic.... Is it really that bad? Should I be looking into another headphone? I prefer not to have any dac/amp stack as I have lived that life before (early adaptor of the Cypher labs here, good times..) Is the Mobius worth the bullet? I aim to have one do it all headphones.

Appreciate your feedback guys. Thanks....

Nov 22, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #5,168 of 5,780
Hi guys...

I "retired" from my head fi journey a good 8 years ago. Was using TOTL HD800s, Beyer T1s and various IEMs back then but I stopped and sold them all. Now I'm using a Sony WI-1000x and a cheapo USB gaming headphones. But this headphone caught my "ears" again. It fits all my all use case now. Mainly PC gaming and LDAC music off my phone. 3D seems interesting for my triple screen sim racing. And yes, the itch for higher fidelity is coming back sadly...

Is the Mobius still worth it new in Dec 2020? I'm loving the reviews I've been reading so far, great sound for BT and super versatile and convenient. But the bad build quality and cracking plastic.... Is it really that bad? Should I be looking into another headphone? I prefer not to have any dac/amp stack as I have lived that life before (early adaptor of the Cypher labs here, good times..) Is the Mobius worth the bullet? I aim to have one do it all headphones.

Appreciate your feedback guys. Thanks....
I would get a Penrose instead. The battery life is improved so you can use it wireless all day. If you're concerned about build quality, maybe get an LCDi3 with a USB to Lightning adapter instead.

i want to use the mobius only with the analog input. do i need to reload it then, because i have no computer(this is not mine)?if so can anyone give me some examples of units with which i can reload it ? an maybe at which prices ?
What do you mean by reload? It charges from any USB source.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #5,170 of 5,780
Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #5,172 of 5,780
i have blu-ray player, blu-ray recorder, 4k player, surround sound processor, they all have usb connections . are they useful for uploading mobius ?
What do you mean by upload? It doesn't store any songs. It just needs a USB charger.

Nov 23, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #5,173 of 5,780
i have blu-ray player, blu-ray recorder, 4k player, surround sound processor, they all have usb connections . are they useful for uploading mobius ?
Yes any USB will charge it. Even a wall charger from a mobile phone will do... but... if you only use it for analog then I think you could've purchased something else. Main features are in usb and bt while analog is just for extra connectivity. Anyway hopefully you'll be able to use with all of it's features in the future.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back