Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Oct 11, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #5,132 of 5,780
Can anyone directly compare these with a pair of dt990s powered by an amp and dac? I looked and pre ordered then cancelled as I wanted to use them with my schiit bifrost multibit with unison USB and vali 2. I have the pulse 3d pre ordered for 90 pounds and I'd only use the penrose for ps5 so I'm finding it hard to justify. I have a feeling tempest audio taken out of the equation and in a 2 channel war my 990 250ohms, through my schiit setup would win in the quality department

Oct 31, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #5,133 of 5,780
Looks like mine have developed a crack. This is my replacement pair after the first headband peeled. I've treated these with kid gloves and this still happens. I should mention I have a small to medium head and from the first day I received my replacement pair I only expanded them from the middle area to prevent a scenario just like this. These are past warranty but surely this is a design or materials fault @Audeze What do you say?

IMG_20201030_231455.jpg
IMG_20201030_232842.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #5,134 of 5,780
Looks like mine have developed a crack. This is my replacement pair after the first headband peeled. I've treated these with kid gloves and this still happens. I should mention I have a small to medium head and from the first day I received my replacement pair I only expanded them from the middle area to prevent a scenario just like this. These are past warranty but surely this is a design or materials fault @Audeze What do you say?

IMG_20201030_231455.jpgIMG_20201030_232842.jpg
It is. Enough people have had a crack around that general area. Thankfully, Audeze CS is very good about it, so just contact them.

Oct 31, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #5,135 of 5,780

IMG_20201030_231455.jpgIMG_20201030_232842.jpg
Please contact support@audeze. We will take care of it.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Nov 2, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #5,136 of 5,780
Yeah, the same happened to mine, from the original IndieGoGo campaign. I'm currently in RMA process and I have to agree that Audeze support is fantastic!
I was informed that there were design tweaks (which are also applicable to Penrose) to mitigate the issue so it won't happen anytime soon. Now because of support experience, information about tweaks, and over phenomenal Audeze sound not only I'm going for Penrose for my girlfriend but I will definitely buy LCD-2C in the future.
If I'm not mistaken it's the first time Audeze tried to work with a Chinese manufacturer to lower price so an issue like that could happen and it happened and it's very nice of Audeze not to sweep it under the rug but to actually fight the issue.
Can't wait to receive my unit back... I miss planar sound :)

It would be nice if someone from @Audeze could confirm information about tweaks?

Nov 3, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #5,137 of 5,780
Yeah, the same happened to mine, from the original IndieGoGo campaign. I'm currently in RMA process and I have to agree that Audeze support is fantastic!
I was informed that there were design tweaks (which are also applicable to Penrose) to mitigate the issue so it won't happen anytime soon. Now because of support experience, information about tweaks, and over phenomenal Audeze sound not only I'm going for Penrose for my girlfriend but I will definitely buy LCD-2C in the future.
If I'm not mistaken it's the first time Audeze tried to work with a Chinese manufacturer to lower price so an issue like that could happen and it happened and it's very nice of Audeze not to sweep it under the rug but to actually fight the issue.
Can't wait to receive my unit back... I miss planar sound :)

It would be nice if someone from @Audeze could confirm information about tweaks?
Yep! Audeze CS is great! Yeah, I'd like confirmation about that too.

Nov 8, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #5,139 of 5,780
Mine cracked in the same place on a second pair (same as the first pair) after I rma'ed my indigogo pair. This time I decided to fix them myself. A mountain dew can and some super glue. Its ugly but it got the job done... a couple months later they broke again at the band where they move in and out of the headband. I love the sound of these headphones but they are built like trash. I don't recommend them to anyone that is going to use them as daily drivers even just sitting at your gaming station. These headphones come on and off my head several times through one sitting. It's not of matter of "if" they are going to fall apart but "when" they are going to fall apart. I love the sound. 3d on flat is my jam for all things but this is the second pair that has broke in the same place that the last pair did and now after being reinforced they broke in another spot just a few centimeters away from the first break. I just can't recommend them on build alone. I would buy another Audeze product but every time I see this same build (mobius) style on other headphones I tell people to turn away. You are just asking for trouble.

editing to add pics:

https://imgur.com/gallery/yT2Ub4z
https://imgur.com/gallery/kbr51Gv
https://imgur.com/gallery/vfJs6WC

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #5,140 of 5,780
Mine cracked in the same place on a second pair (same as the first pair) after I rma'ed my indigogo pair. This time I decided to fix them myself. A mountain dew can and some super glue. Its ugly but it got the job done... a couple months later they broke again at the band where they move in and out of the headband. I love the sound of these headphones but they are built like trash. I don't recommend them to anyone that is going to use them as daily drivers even just sitting at your gaming station. These headphones come on and off my head several times through one sitting. It's not of matter of "if" they are going to fall apart but "when" they are going to fall apart. I love the sound. 3d on flat is my jam for all things but this is the second pair that has broke in the same place that the last pair did and now after being reinforced they broke in another spot just a few centimeters away from the first break. I just can't recommend them on build alone. I would buy another Audeze product but every time I see this same build (mobius) style on other headphones I tell people to turn away. You are just asking for trouble.

editing to add pics:

https://imgur.com/gallery/yT2Ub4z
https://imgur.com/gallery/kbr51Gv
https://imgur.com/gallery/vfJs6WC
I cannot agree more, however I've become to used to the sound and flexiblity of options, that I still won't be without. The BUILD quality F-n sucks compared to other gaming headsets even $100 less in price, I wish they would get away from their plastic obcession and just focus on the quality of the product, nobody in reality would twist their headset like they constantly show and if the headset after a year keeps breaking even with careful use that's a huge fail. At least they are taking a survey on the ear pads, but even those stock ones are NOT of lasting quality either and deform and flatten out to the point of uselessness within a year. The gel pad ones have lasted great however. I think for the price of this headset, they need to actually rethink and address these details, but they've since doubled down on the LCD and primrose and not sat down and addressed the community properly. I'm not expecting failure rates compared to their other headsets being published, but these kind of plastic and pad issues should not be a thing in 2020. Those attention to details seem like they are getting missed on audeze and it does feel a little like we are getting snubbed on that. I cannot recommend the headset to gamer friends because of the build quality unless they are in a management position and already own several higher quality headsets and they know these will not last 3 years. Not at these prices, I expect BETTER, and the build quality still sucks compared to astros but the guts are different, as well as features... there has to be a middle ground solve. I'd even pay more for higher quality parts but not much more. I'm hoping their silence just means there is a newer version or a refresh 1.1 on their line. Again that doesn't seem like proper biz sense tho.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #5,141 of 5,780
I cannot agree more, however I've become to used to the sound and flexiblity of options, that I still won't be without. The BUILD quality F-n sucks compared to other gaming headsets even $100 less in price, I wish they would get away from their plastic obcession and just focus on the quality of the product, nobody in reality would twist their headset like they constantly show and if the headset after a year keeps breaking even with careful use that's a huge fail. At least they are taking a survey on the ear pads, but even those stock ones are NOT of lasting quality either and deform and flatten out to the point of uselessness within a year. The gel pad ones have lasted great however. I think for the price of this headset, they need to actually rethink and address these details, but they've since doubled down on the LCD and primrose and not sat down and addressed the community properly. I'm not expecting failure rates compared to their other headsets being published, but these kind of plastic and pad issues should not be a thing in 2020. Those attention to details seem like they are getting missed on audeze and it does feel a little like we are getting snubbed on that. I cannot recommend the headset to gamer friends because of the build quality unless they are in a management position and already own several higher quality headsets and they know these will not last 3 years. Not at these prices, I expect BETTER, and the build quality still sucks compared to astros but the guts are different, as well as features... there has to be a middle ground solve. I'd even pay more for higher quality parts but not much more. I'm hoping their silence just means there is a newer version or a refresh 1.1 on their line. Again that doesn't seem like proper biz sense tho.

I am with ya on not being able to use other headphones. I love the sound quality and options so much but then we have this crap plastic build that makes me "ugh" lol. I super glued the most recent break back together but who knows how long that will last. I seen in this thread (some pages back) that someone basically rebuilt them using just the two ear cups and fashioning them to an old band from another set of headphones. I think that will probably be my next route after they break again (it's inevitable). I can't see myself wasting any more money and effort to send them back and forth to Cali. Now just to find an old band I can attach these to. Oh, I so wish I would have bought a set of the gel pads back when they were making them. The og ones barely last year and after just a few months, yeah, they start flattening out. Hopefully Audeze figures something out so that future purchasers don't run into these same issues. If/when I purchase another Audeze product it will probably be the ldc-x's unless they come out with an updated build for the Mobius that uses more metal and less plastic. I would definitely pay extra for that

Nov 9, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #5,142 of 5,780
Anyone have experience of the Mobius vs. the Blue Ella's? Haven't seen a whole lot of discussion on the Ella's in general, most likely due to the pricepoint I'd guess. Anyway, TIA for any insight anyone can provide.

Nov 10, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #5,143 of 5,780
Oh, maybe a bit more on topic about repairing headbands. I believe super glues, in general, are good at tension (i.e. pulling) but not so great at sheer forces, This won't look great but what I've done is take two part epoxy and dental floss. You attach the broken piece with the two part epoxy and let it set (you may need to create a jig in order to have everything line up). Once it sets, then apply a thin coat of epoxy around the joint then start wrapping the dental floss around the joint at angles that criss-cross the joint. Apply additional epoxy as needed to sort of create a resin/fiber matrix across the joint. You can paint it after or cover it. Not the prettiest but it seems to work the times I've tried it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back