Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Feb 2, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #4,531 of 5,780
I'm still not sure how they intended the end user to use the 3.5mm cable. You wouldn't want to double amp, so I assume the only "proper" setup with it would be to feed the headphone the output of a DAC running at line level using an RCA to 3.5mm cable or something like that.
The usual level of desktop CD player's Cinch Outs e.g. perfectly fits with Mobius analog input.
Mobius Input's impedance is high enough for a direct connection to line sources, something that doesn't work with unpowered (passive) headphones.
Soundwise Mobius analog input is on par with digital connection.

There is a little misconception in Mobius analog input, as there is no digital gain range after it's fixed level (1.8V RMS for fullscale drive) AD-converter.
So Mobius cannot deal well with weak analog sources.
Mobius analog voltage sensitivity is slightly above that of a Sennheiser HD-800.

It's absolutely legit to use Mobius with a headphone amp, just don't dial it up far above 2V RMS (~6V peak-to-peak) output, or Mobius might break.

To avoid this, set Mobius' volume control to maximum, then set your desired volume with the headphone amp's control.

If there's audible noise then, bring down Mobius' volume control until noise "disappears" and counteract with the headphone amp's volume control, but don't overdo this.
If you do this too far, you will hear distortions and possibly you overdrive Mobius input (with the danger to destroy it), or the headphone amp's output, or both.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #4,532 of 5,780
I'm still not sure how they intended the end user to use the 3.5mm cable. You wouldn't want to double amp, so I assume the only "proper" setup with it would be to feed the headphone the output of a DAC running at line level using an RCA to 3.5mm cable or something like that.

even at line level it is 'double amped'... really every setup is.

Feb 2, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #4,533 of 5,780
Pre-ordered the Pandas hoping for a better sounding closed planar more matched to travel and really wishing Audeze stepped into that market with a variant of the Mobius but with noise cancellation instead of 3d simulation and a bit of higher end sound and styling from the Sine line.

Feb 3, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #4,534 of 5,780
I went ahead and purchased a new pair from Audeze (in Carbon color) over the weekend with a discount I had to get them at $320. I recently sold my LCD-2C Closed Backs but I still have them and will be shipping them to the buyer today/tomorrow but I am going to do an A-B comparison when the new ones show up later just to see how $399 MSRP stacks up to $899 MSRP.

I've really enjoyed the LCD-2C's but my main problem (and maybe it's just a Audeze problem, a planar problem, or a music genre problem - idk - I have more experience with dynamics like Denons) - is with the mid range. Metal is my genre of choice, sub-genre's specifically in metalcore, post hardcore, and deathcore - and guitars just don't sound good with the LCD-2C's. Other than that, I honestly was very happy. But my preferred method of listening with this type of metal is unfortunately going to go to SPEAKERS, as it just sounds better - less revealing and/or overemphasis on bass via double kick drum is better in the case of a lot of that type of music.

I'll likely be using the Mobius for purely gaming now, so I'm hoping for an "upgrade" from the convenience standpoint of having no cord in my way and having virtual surround. That being said, excited to test them out head to head and give my non technical impressions. I also went ahead and purchased a Corsair ST100 RGB headphone stand as it has USB input to keep my charging cable on the desk here with me rather than plugged into my PC as I hear the Mobius cords are quite short.

Feb 3, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #4,535 of 5,780
Just bought Mobius, team copper.

I was wondering how easy would be to automate for HTPC use, in order to switch between headphone use and speakers use.

My HTPC is currently connected through HDMI (carrying both audio and video) to my AVR, which then connects to the TV. Audio comes out of my multichannel speakers array.
What I would like to do is having a button on the remote that allows me to switch on the Waves NX process and renders audio to the headphones.
I use EventGhost and I'm familiar with the SoundVolumeView program and its commandline uses.

Having first tried the Waves NX software solution, I hope that there is no interaction between the two devices (Nvidia HDMI Audio and Mobius), in order to automate stuff with no conflicts.
Thanks in advance to anybody that has faced a similar scenario and reports about his/her solution.

Feb 3, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #4,536 of 5,780
Just bought Mobius, team copper.

I was wondering how easy would be to automate for HTPC use, in order to switch between headphone use and speakers use.

My HTPC is currently connected through HDMI (carrying both audio and video) to my AVR, which then connects to the TV. Audio comes out of my multichannel speakers array.
What I would like to do is having a button on the remote that allows me to switch on the Waves NX process and renders audio to the headphones.
I use EventGhost and I'm familiar with the SoundVolumeView program and its commandline uses.

Having first tried the Waves NX software solution, I hope that there is no interaction between the two devices (Nvidia HDMI Audio and Mobius), in order to automate stuff with no conflicts.
Thanks in advance to anybody that has faced a similar scenario and reports about his/her solution.

The Mobius is its own audio device, so you just need to switch to the Mobius, make sure it is in 8 channel mode and you will be fine. The Waves NX is built in to the headphones themselves, although it works best if you initially tell it your head size etc via the software. You don't need the software running while gaming.

Feb 3, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #4,537 of 5,780
The Mobius is its own audio device, so you just need to switch to the Mobius, make sure it is in 8 channel mode and you will be fine. The Waves NX is built in to the headphones themselves, although it works best if you initially tell it your head size etc via the software. You don't need the software running while gaming.
Thanks, exactly what I hoped for. I'm not going to game a lot with the Mobius. I'm buying them mainly for movie/TV shows watching, after trying the software version (so I'm familiar with head measurements needed). I tried making it work for my HTPC but after a couple of hours I gave up. Too many "moving parts", plus I could not make it work without a webcam (and that's been my experience on the other desktop PC I've tried it on). Webcam, movie watching in the dark... not a marriage made in heaven (and the gadget to mount on top of existing headphones starts adding to the cost... I preferred trying a new headphone, my first planar magnetic).

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #4,538 of 5,780
I've really enjoyed the LCD-2C's but my main problem (and maybe it's just a Audeze problem, a planar problem, or a music genre problem - idk - I have more experience with dynamics like Denons) - is with the mid range. Metal is my genre of choice, sub-genre's specifically in metalcore, post hardcore, and deathcore - and guitars just don't sound good with the LCD-2C's.
The Mobius sounds better than the LCD-2 Classic. Without the Cipher DSP / Reveal+ Plugin, the tonality of Audeze headphones are just off. Other manufacturers like Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser are able to get good tonality without DSP even though their headphones' sub-bass and distortion are a joke compared to Audeze's. If you use the Reveal+ Plugin on your PC, the LCD-2 Classic sounds better than the Mobius, but it still lacks sub-bass compared to the closed-back Mobius no matter how much you boost it.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #4,539 of 5,780
The Mobius sounds better than the LCD-2 Classic. Without the Cipher DSP / Reveal+ Plugin, the tonality of Audeze headphones are just off. Other manufacturers like Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser are able to get good tonality without DSP even though their headphones' sub-bass and distortion are a joke compared to Audeze's. If you use the Reveal+ Plugin on your PC, the LCD-2 Classic sounds better than the Mobius, but it still lacks sub-bass compared to the closed-back Mobius no matter how much you boost it.

Thus far I'm liking the Mobius better sound wise than the LCD-2C Closed, the 3D is no joke and I think it sounds pretty damn good. That being said, my lesser quality recordings still sound bad, they sound LESS bad though in the sense that I can change the presets to mask some of that. For music that has good production value, FLAT definitely sounds the best.

The LCD-2C Closed are much bigger, and TBH, they are more comfortable. But I've also heard there's a break in period with the Mobius, they are a little tight on my head at the moment, not uncomfortable though.

I have not tried in BT yet. Pros/Cons? Honestly I wanted to be able to use them wirelessly as well, gaming, or whatever. I hear some people say BT is bad for gaming, not sure if there's any kind of latency or what, just curious on the thoughts of others.

Feb 4, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #4,541 of 5,780
Thus far I'm liking the Mobius better sound wise than the LCD-2C Closed, the 3D is no joke and I think it sounds pretty damn good. That being said, my lesser quality recordings still sound bad, they sound LESS bad though in the sense that I can change the presets to mask some of that. For music that has good production value, FLAT definitely sounds the best.

The LCD-2C Closed are much bigger, and TBH, they are more comfortable. But I've also heard there's a break in period with the Mobius, they are a little tight on my head at the moment, not uncomfortable though.

I have not tried in BT yet. Pros/Cons? Honestly I wanted to be able to use them wirelessly as well, gaming, or whatever. I hear some people say BT is bad for gaming, not sure if there's any kind of latency or what, just curious on the thoughts of others.

Update. Bluetooth, meh. Skip it. Stay wired. I will say, really enjoy the 3D sound. I have studio monitors on my desk and with 3D on Manual @ loud volume, I literally thought I was listening to my speakers. These are cool headphones, and they sound great. Coming from multiple pairs of Denon's and now some more expensive Audeze's....this set is definitely a keeper. Going to test in gaming tonight as well.

Feb 4, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #4,542 of 5,780
Update. Bluetooth, meh. Skip it. Stay wired. I will say, really enjoy the 3D sound. I have studio monitors on my desk and with 3D on Manual @ loud volume, I literally thought I was listening to my speakers. These are cool headphones, and they sound great. Coming from multiple pairs of Denon's and now some more expensive Audeze's....this set is definitely a keeper. Going to test in gaming tonight as well.
umm I have to say , skip it unless you have an LDAC source... that's where bluetooth on this device shines.

Feb 5, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #4,543 of 5,780
Mobius sounds great on Bluetooth AAC via an iPhone. It provides a balanced sound with tight, deep bass. 3D off and Flat = the Audeze experience. All the presets work well. Maybe it’s because the very top-end is rolled-off on Bluetooth, but I can listen louder while still getting a very convincing mid-range and bass. Android phones should absolutely use LDAC, but AAC on a newer iPhone is virtually transparent up to around 14Hz.

After cycling through the presets, I’ve realized that over-ear headphones generally sound best with a minor bass emphasis — and also that I prefer a bright sound. Though I should find a Windows computer to update my Mobius to finally try the Warm preset. For songs that need a little more bass, I use the Default preset.

I need to update my MacOS version so I can properly test the 5.1/7.1 features, but those work great with the 3D mode. I get why some people would prefer a speaker-like experience for music (and it can be cool at times), but I like to listen as closely to the natural frequency response of the drivers as possible.

Audeze did a great job designing Mobius, as the fit is stable and forms a tight seal even with glasses. I haven’t had the nerve to work out in these, but I could if I decided to one day.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #4,544 of 5,780
I'll likely be using the Mobius for purely gaming now, so I'm hoping for an "upgrade" from the convenience standpoint of having no cord in my way and having virtual surround. That being said, excited to test them out head to head and give my non technical impressions. I also went ahead and purchased a Corsair ST100 RGB headphone stand as it has USB input to keep my charging cable on the desk here with me rather than plugged into my PC as I hear the Mobius cords are quite short.

Just in case you are unaware, the Mobius requires the USB connection in order for its dac section to be able to receive and decode multichannel PCM and give you full virtual surround simulating a 5.1 / 7.1 speaker setup. Over Bluetooth or 3.5 line it just virtualises a stereo speaker setup.

At present the best option for “having no chord in (your) way and virtual surround“ would probably be the recently released Creative Super X-Fi Theater. It uses a USB dongle that doubles as 2.4ghz wireless emitter and its own multichannel capable sound card to virtualise the discrete multichannel feed first before putting it out over the air to the headphones themselves.

With Mobius, all the multichannel processing is done onboard the headset itself and sending unprocessed discrete multichannel PCM over Bluetooth isn’t possible at present, hence the need for the wired USB connection in this context.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back