Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Apr 15, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #3,482 of 5,780
getting fed up now of waiting to be able to update the firmware of my headphones. Any news on when the new firmware is out?
We ran into some technical issues which we found while testing on a larger sample. We are working to make the update process more robust. We anticipate two more weeks. That said, I am a bit surprised that you are not able to update your Mobius in spite of multiple previous attempts. Please PM me so I can help troubleshoot.

Apr 15, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #3,483 of 5,780
my mobius started crackling and was told to try different cables also. So I bought the amazon basics one and cleaned the mobius contacts with IPA and a fine dental brush and the problem went away. The stock cables leave less to be desired. They are short, stiff and I guess prone to break.

I bought this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05103-El...000BXOGNI/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Will spray it on a toothpick and clean the connector.

Luckily I work for a usb-c cable company so I have lots I can try from :)

Two other questions...

- Per the off chance that I ever get my motherboard to work with bluetooth, has anyone gotten the bluetooth mic to work well and send audio wirelessly cleanly via discord?

- Is USB-C to USB-C supported?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #3,484 of 5,780
I bought this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05103-El...000BXOGNI/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Will spray it on a toothpick and clean the connector.

Luckily I work for a usb-c cable company so I have lots I can try from :)

Two other questions...

- Per the off chance that I ever get my motherboard to work with bluetooth, has anyone gotten the bluetooth mic to work well and send audio wirelessly cleanly via discord?

- Is USB-C to USB-C supported?

The mic signal won't be as good when using Bluetooth due to the way the Bluetooth codec handles both devices (mic and headset) at once. I forget if it's down to assigning limited bandwidth to each device or something else, but its currently a Bluetooth limitation

Do you mean from a USBC socket on your motherboard? Mine is plugged into a USBC socket, it should be fine.

Apr 15, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #3,486 of 5,780
Per the off chance that I ever get my motherboard to work with bluetooth, has anyone gotten the bluetooth mic to work well and send audio wirelessly cleanly via discord?

The mic signal won't be as good when using Bluetooth due to the way the Bluetooth codec handles both devices (mic and headset) at once. I forget if it's down to assigning limited bandwidth to each device or something else, but its currently a Bluetooth limitation.

I remember reading something about this too, so maybe acan add some detail (wish i could find the quote though :triportsad: ).

The Mobius supports Bluetooth SBC, AAC and LDAC. LDAC is rarely supported in anything other then some Android Phones currently and is unlikely supported by the Bluetooth in your USB adaptor or internal device. I believe that both LDAC and AAC are just Audio Codecs and do not support Microphone use. This means that if you have the Mic enabled it switches to the SBC codec which does support Mic input but is also the lowest quality supported audio codec. Carrying three streams of audio (Left, Right and Mic) means that the bandwidth used is split between them hence the worse audio and mic quality. It might be enough for your intended purpose of bad mouthing noobs though..

The cable even just using USB 2 has far more bandwidth then bluetooth.

Apr 15, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #3,487 of 5,780
Also worth noting that one of the reasons that codecs like AptX was developed was to allow for audio to make use of the full bandwidth on offer.

With the standard Bluetooth codec, audio only gets a small slice of the overall bandwidth designated to it.

Apr 15, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #3,490 of 5,780
So what's the general application on what mode to use when gaming?

2 Youtubers: Joshua Valour & Hardware Canucks

seem to suggest that it's more beneficial just to use Stereo / 2.1 since. They also mention a 'ring of sound' and how it's pretty hard to pinpoint the directional awareness of an enemy being above or below (vertical ~ Planes in PubG, Enemies floors above or below).

"[Head-tracking] is said to automatically de-center itself every once in a while, also during manual mode."

This was also happening to me.. I would have to re-center often. Should I decrease the ear to ear length?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #3,491 of 5,780
this is true, @Bojamijams .. $39US will become $70CA after tax/duties/exchange. If the pads get added to the Canadian site, I'm guessing they'll go for ~$49CA+shipping. So yeah, without Prime on the Canadian site, costs could end up pretty close to that converted $70CA.

Apr 15, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #3,492 of 5,780
So what's the general application on what mode to use when gaming?

2 Youtubers: Joshua Valour & Hardware Canucks

seem to suggest that it's more beneficial just to use Stereo / 2.1 since. They also mention a 'ring of sound' and how it's pretty hard to pinpoint the directional awareness of an enemy being above or below (vertical ~ Planes in PubG, Enemies floors above or below).

"[Head-tracking] is said to automatically de-center itself every once in a while, also during manual mode."

This was also happening to me.. I would have to re-center often. Should I decrease the ear to ear length?

What they seem to be talking about at the points that you started the video's at is the head-tracking, which as they point out when gaming using a monitor, you really don't need to move your head around that much, if at all. So whilst they might be talking down the tracking, it's not really an issue in my experience because my head usually stays facing one direction, and I can enjoy them just like any other set of 7.1 headphones.

The tracking can go off sometimes, usually if I put them down for a while, but I just have to press the 3D button once to center them, and it happens so rarely when on my head that it's not really been an issue.

The 2nd video mentioned a virtual 7.1 mode, but this isn't the 7.1 gaming mode, it their just a way of upmixing a stereo signal like music. Some people like it on, others like it off.

When you say ring of sound, you get the full 7.1 experience as if you had a set of 7.1 speakers, closer to your head but still further away than any other headphones I've tried. For the height information that the reviewer said he expected in the first video, you'd want something like Atmos which only a few games support. You'd need to buy Atmos for windows (about $15), set these headphones to 2D mode (not hi res), enable Atmos for headphones in the respective control panel, and load up a game that supports it. Games that don't support it will work in Dolby's 7.1 mode still.

I can say that the Planar Magnetic drivers in these headphones make them very ideal for representing 3D sounds, and with Atmos too, you get more than one option as to how your 3D sound is conveyed to you.

I did find that for some games, I preferred a more intimate sound and in other more bombastic games like Doom, I really like the WavesNX technology that comes built in. I found out the other day in this thread that WavesNX is mostly used for VR, hence how it moves as you move.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #3,493 of 5,780
When you say ring of sound, you get the full 7.1 experience as if you had a set of 7.1 speakers, closer to your head but still further away than any other headphones I've tried. For the height information that the reviewer said he expected in the first video, you'd want something like Atmos which only a few games support. You'd need to buy Atmos for windows (about $15), set these headphones to 2D mode (not hi res), enable Atmos for headphones in the respective control panel, and load up a game that supports it. Games that don't support it will work in Dolby's 7.1 mode still

Couldn't have put it better myself

I will explore the games myself when I get a chance, I have 3 that supposedly support more than just 7.1. The blurb for the app specifically says height over headphones for these games. There might be an in game setting.

Thinking that MPC might not know how to handle Atmos streams, and that if anything would, the built in windows Films and TV app would, I tested the Dolby Atmos test video with the bird that's supposed to circle around your head.

Whilst neither of them sounded out of my head or close to the ceiling, I was able to believe that with MPC, it sounded slightly higher than the other sounds.

When I played it back in Films and TV, it was jarringly at the normal height. I was expecting to hear it sound higher than it did. I repeated the test and got the same results several times over.

Response from Dolby:

"Unfortunately, Dolby Atmos for Headphones does not decode Dolby Atmos Blu-Rays audio tracks at this time. This may be something that will change in future, but at this Dolby Atmos Blu-Rays require a Dolby Atmos enabled soundbar or a/v receiver with a home theater setup to output Dolby Atmos."

Apr 15, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #3,494 of 5,780
Response from Dolby:

"Unfortunately, Dolby Atmos for Headphones does not decode Dolby Atmos Blu-Rays audio tracks at this time. This may be something that will change in future, but at this Dolby Atmos Blu-Rays require a Dolby Atmos enabled soundbar or a/v receiver with a home theater setup to output Dolby Atmos."

You got a reply quicker than I did! I wonder if they forgot about me?

It's good to have confirmation. I tried a couple of games

Forza Horizon 4, most of the other cars are horizontal to you, but there are some big show races with more going on around you. In one you race a plane. in another you drive a halo vehicle with all kinds flying around you, and in those the height positional audio is much more convincing than when I was watching movies.

I tried out Assassin's Creed Origins too, but in the short time I had I couldn't find many places to test sounds from above. But I could hear voices from below. I'll have to play a few missions and see if there is a better suited place to try.

So it does seem that Atmos is upmixing some height information during movies. I tried updating the LAV filters for MPC (installing the latest, then copying the x64 folder contents into MPC's LAV folder) and my initial impressions were that the ones that came with MPC were better with the bird in Dolby's demo. I didn't have long to test but that was my impression before I went out

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #3,495 of 5,780
::Mind Trick:: You will use Brainwavz Angled Pleather pads. You will set room ambience to 70. You will eq the Music presets treble down 5db.
(#`ε´)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back