Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Apr 12, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #3,466 of 5,780
Windows doesnt decode anything, the player does. And the players cant decode atmos, only avrs or other devices that have the object decoder builtin. Also windows is max at 7.1 right now with no height channels.

Well before I got all this working I sent a message to Dolby support and asked whether it was 7.1 or if there was more involved, maybe I can get more out of them when they reply.

I don't know how much info on the net is accurate or old info, best to get it from the source

Apr 12, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #3,467 of 5,780
@Zenvota I'm also wondering why microsoft says that only a few games support Atmos for headphones if it is limited to 7.1

Surely all games could work in 7.1 mode, but the games listed in the Dolby app support more?

I don't see 7.1 as being a limitation internally with the Atmos app involved. Externally it would still be rendered to however many speakers windows supports.

The Atmos app does have a speaker section too, but I have yet to explore this.

Anyway this might be going off topic

Apr 12, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #3,468 of 5,780
@Zenvota I'm also wondering why microsoft says that only a few games support Atmos for headphones if it is limited to 7.1
Ive wondered this too but havent been able to find anything concrete.

Games can output a dolby atmos bitstream to a surround sound receiver or games can do all the object processing internally like Overwatch and output binaural stereo, but what happens when you select atmos for headphones in the spatial sound properties?

Anyway this might be going off topic
maybe a little, but the Mobius is a great device to render an atmos for headphones mix if you can actually get the object data.
ԅ(≖‿≖ԅ)

Apr 12, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #3,469 of 5,780
Ive wondered this too but havent been able to find anything concrete.

Games can output a dolby atmos bitstream to a surround sound receiver or games can do all the object processing internally like Overwatch and output binaural stereo, but what happens when you select atmos for headphones in the spatial sound properties?

maybe a little, but the Mobius is a great device to render an atmos for headphones mix if you can actually get the object data.
ԅ(≖‿≖ԅ)

Couldn't have put it better myself

I will explore the games myself when I get a chance, I have 3 that supposedly support more than just 7.1. The blurb for the app specifically says height over headphones for these games. There might be an in game setting.

Thinking that MPC might not know how to handle Atmos streams, and that if anything would, the built in windows Films and TV app would, I tested the Dolby Atmos test video with the bird that's supposed to circle around your head.

Whilst neither of them sounded out of my head or close to the ceiling, I was able to believe that with MPC, it sounded slightly higher than the other sounds.

When I played it back in Films and TV, it was jarringly at the normal height. I was expecting to hear it sound higher than it did. I repeated the test and got the same results several times over.

Apr 13, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #3,470 of 5,780
The Mobius works beautifully over Bluetooth with my old iPad Air 1st generation. I am a happy camper.
Going to upgrade soon to the new iPad Pro 12.9 so will update results for that setup.

Apr 13, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #3,471 of 5,780
The Mobius works beautifully over Bluetooth with my old iPad Air 1st generation. I am a happy camper.
Going to upgrade soon to the new iPad Pro 12.9 so will update results for that setup.

Let us know how does it sounds with aac Bluetooth please.

Especially interested in tidal master .

Sounds great with ldac bluetooth .

Don't know if Bluetooth 4.2 and 5 has huge impac.

Apr 13, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #3,474 of 5,780
Are there any sound quality comparisons between the original pads and the new gel pads?
@Audeze

Would it be possible to post some measurements of the frequency response of the stock pads vs. the gel pads?

Thanks.

The two ear pads measure very close to each other, this was important to us because we wanted to keep the tuning the same. The gel pads conform and seal better so it affects bass response and may change your perception of the rest of the frequency range.

Apr 14, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #3,477 of 5,780
Tested my Mobius with the City Creek's demo model of the iPad Pro 12.9 and can I just say wow?

I had to dial down the volume but over the Bluetooth the music was just banging... And definitely no need for an amp for sure. The sound quality was just very impressive.

Tonight I am resetting the setting from "Flat" to "Warm" opr "Music" and see how far that takes me. Compared to the LCD-2CB's I own I definitely this headphone is pretty revolutionary.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #3,478 of 5,780
Contact support if you can confirm after trying several cables .
my mobius started crackling and was told to try different cables also. So I bought the amazon basics one and cleaned the mobius contacts with IPA and a fine dental brush and the problem went away. The stock cables leave less to be desired. They are short, stiff and I guess prone to break.

Apr 15, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #3,479 of 5,780
Tested my Mobius with the City Creek's demo model of the iPad Pro 12.9 and can I just say wow?

I had to dial down the volume but over the Bluetooth the music was just banging... And definitely no need for an amp for sure. The sound quality was just very impressive.

Tonight I am resetting the setting from "Flat" to "Warm" opr "Music" and see how far that takes me. Compared to the LCD-2CB's I own I definitely this headphone is pretty revolutionary.

Have you tried Default instead of Flat? It's supposed to be closer to the Audeze signature sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back