Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Apr 4, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #3,363 of 5,780
Another question. Does having Dolby Access installed on your PC mess up the 7.1 mode for anyone else? Obviously Atmos for Headphone isn't active but just having Dolby Access installed make the 7.1 really echoy for me.

Apr 4, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #3,364 of 5,780
I will give that a try later.. It seemed like it must be wrong somehow as it shouldn't move i would have thought. If i'm facing the way i have set the centre, then looking left and right work fine, as you say so long as i don't go past 90 degrees in either direction. I haven't noticed any change in the direction in the way that you mention, it stays in the direction i would expect until i move in a big angle.
I didn't make it very clear, I'm talking about two different things:

1. Mobius automatically and slowly re-adjusts the center after movements (like when the centering button is pressed), differently depending on Auto or Manual mode.

2. The HRTF/3-D does not work for me as it should.
It overdoes the 3-D effect, so a centered voice e.g. does not stay nailed at center in the virtual room, but moves to the opposite side when I slightly turn my head.
This might be a very personal problem with the "fit" of the effect to my personal auditorial system, or be more common.

I would like to hear other opinions on that, so please chime in.
It's best tested with monophonic, centered voice or instruments.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #3,367 of 5,780
confirmed that mobius are wireless with best sound for movies and music, last comparison with something more portable: aventho wireless .... will arrive tomorrow. between the two the final choice: quality vs portability - pears vs apples ... I love to complicate my life!

Apr 4, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #3,368 of 5,780
the gel ones aren't velour either... xD The Brainwavz Angled Pleather, however, work really well, and I like them better than the new gel pads. Concerning the velours its just that the mobius needs a seal. See the link in the post you quoted theres some pictures with the angled pleather pads and what I did to ensure a seal, because just sliding them on required pushing the cans against my head to make a seal, even with the pleather.

I am curious now about those custom velour pads. Are those going to have the texture of velvet plush or am I off the beaten track here? I guess that I am unfamiliar with the texture here.

Apr 4, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #3,369 of 5,780
I am curious now about those custom velour pads. Are those going to have the texture of velvet plush or am I off the beaten track here? I guess that I am unfamiliar with the texture here.
Flocked velvet and knit velour are different materials. Brainwavz velour is a looser knit fabric, not the softest thing ever. Dekonis velour is a tighter knit and softer. These still arent as soft as velvet though. Dont use velour pads with the mobius unless you like a thin sound with heavily rolled off bass. You could use the dekoni lcd velours with your lcd2cb though if you dont need the isolation.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lcd-xc-2014-dekoni-velours-win.903316/

Apr 5, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #3,371 of 5,780
@Audeze - is there any measurable difference between the stock pads and the newly released pads? I might just be imagining it, but it seems like the bass is less full with the warm eq setting with the new pads vs the stock ones.

Apr 5, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #3,372 of 5,780
I got the new gel ear pads today. First, Audeze! Never delete the amazing Warm Setting!!! With the new pads I am getting more bass, wider soundstage with better separation of the instruments. The bass with the ‘old’ pads was fine. But it is fuller and focused now. The Mobius sounds richer and more detailed with the new pads. That’s a lot of goodness for just a set of ear pads. Perhaps I will wake up tomorrow and see if they still sound as nice. The gel pads actually feel cool and stay that way. Tonight I have been using my Shanling M5s to stream music via LDAC. I wear glasses and the sound is the same with them on or off.

Apr 5, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #3,373 of 5,780
Apr 5, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #3,374 of 5,780
I got the new gel ear pads today. First, Audeze! Never delete the amazing Warm Setting!!! With the new pads I am getting more bass, wider soundstage with better separation of the instruments. The bass with the ‘old’ pads was fine. But it is fuller and focused now. The Mobius sounds richer and more detailed with the new pads. That’s a lot of goodness for just a set of ear pads. Perhaps I will wake up tomorrow and see if they still sound as nice. The gel pads actually feel cool and stay that way. Tonight I have been using my Shanling M5s to stream music via LDAC. I wear glasses and the sound is the same with them on or off.

That's very encouraging, did you try the original pads with glasses on and off? I'm curious as to whether the gel pads are better able to keep a seal intact or if the originals are just as effective in that respect.

Apr 5, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #3,375 of 5,780
What I've been wondering about with this, is if the games or say netflix on windows is outputting an actual atmos bitstream to the atmos for headphones renderer and if the renderer has a builtin atmos decoder and actually renders height channels. I don't know how to confirm it though.
The Windows 10 Atmos plugin is an official Atmos renderer. If I have a source providing an Atmos bitstream this is rendered properly to get object based sound sources from the proper positions around and above the listener. I have games and Bluray movies which can do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back