Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Apr 4, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #3,351 of 5,780
I'll try it out later. Theoretically the gap between the arm and my head, maybe 4mm, would be enough to break the seal on the outside, but it does get closer to my head as they go over my ears.
The arm in front of my ears is 2mm, in the back at the end its wider and flares out a bit and is probably 4-6mm. The headphones that I have that need a seal dont have an issue though, Stax SR-207, MrSpeakers Alpha Prime, and the Mobius

Apr 4, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #3,352 of 5,780
... the head tracking is a little "weird" to use with just Stereo input. Mine seems to move the sound when I turn my head, so If I set centre, then move left or right and the sound will slowly move to where my head is at after a few seconds which is not where the screen is anymore, as if it's moving centre with my head movements. It just feels weird.
You can use the "3-D Auto"-mode instead of "3-D Manual".
"Auto" only adjusts the center within a few seconds after very big turns, > about 90°, then keeps it locked.
"Manual" seems to have some drift compensation within a range close to the center, it permanently adjusts the center position.
This can be watched in the AUDEZE HQ app too, which I suggest to do to understand how Mobius works.

How do you perceive the 3-D effect? Is the virtual sound source nailed to one position in the room if you turn your head (except for your mentioned problem)?
For me it over-does the movement, when I turn my head a bit to the left the virtual sound source seems to turn to the right and vice versa.

Apr 4, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #3,356 of 5,780
Just got the new earpads, they def make a better seal than the old ones and are much cooler to wear. Only thing that I've noticed is that the L earpiece seems like it leaks more sound that with the old pads. Anyone else notice this? Maybe I just need to take the new pad off and put it back on to make sure it's seated properly.

Apr 4, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #3,357 of 5,780
The velour pads didn't sound good at all. it's a very large difference in sound quality that I'm suprised the user didn't notice... using the angled pleather pads, however, and ensuring a good seal is fantastic.

That's not good to hear and a shame. I was hoping they might be a nicer then stock alternative until the gel ones are in the UK.

Apr 4, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #3,358 of 5,780
You can use the "3-D Auto"-mode instead of "3-D Manual".
"Auto" only adjusts the center within a few seconds after very big turns, > about 90°, then keeps it locked.
"Manual" seems to have some drift compensation within a range close to the center, it permanently adjusts the center position.
This can be watched in the AUDEZE HQ app too, which I suggest to do to understand how Mobius works.

How do you perceive the 3-D effect? Is the virtual sound source nailed to one position in the room if you turn your head (except for your mentioned problem)?
For me it over-does the movement, when I turn my head a bit to the left the virtual sound source seems to turn to the right and vice versa.

I will give that a try later.. It seemed like it must be wrong somehow as it shouldn't move i would have thought. If i'm facing the way i have set the centre, then looking left and right work fine, as you say so long as i don't go past 90 degrees in either direction. I haven't noticed any change in the direction in the way that you mention, it stays in the direction i would expect until i move in a big angle.

Apr 4, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #3,360 of 5,780
That's not good to hear and a shame. I was hoping they might be a nicer then stock alternative until the gel ones are in the UK.
the gel ones aren't velour either... xD The Brainwavz Angled Pleather, however, work really well, and I like them better than the new gel pads. Concerning the velours its just that the mobius needs a seal. See the link in the post you quoted theres some pictures with the angled pleather pads and what I did to ensure a seal, because just sliding them on required pushing the cans against my head to make a seal, even with the pleather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back