Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Dec 17, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #2,477 of 5,780
I like the Mobius. It's not Bass light in general. It's a little bass light with 3d on in default. "Music" is a bit boring and clipped too much in the upper frequencies. It's not nearly as dialed in as Default. There isn't really a great setting for EDM and Hip-hop with 3d engaged. It's just not there. The Sub-bass is there. I know what t listen for. I've worked in a recording studio. I've worked in a club. I'm not "wrong". Strong, exaggerated bass is a popular setting for some forms of modern music. Most headphone products can't resolve well enough to do without lot's of audible distortion and making the mids muddy. These could. Where is the EDM/club, hip-hop setting? There's no reason why it's missing. These are not marketed as audiophile only headphones. Racing has nice sub bass but definitely isn't tuned there for that.

Flat isn't using any DSP and isn't the intended tuning for the headphones. I like the character of it, but it obviously is a little rough in some frequencies. Some are ducked and there are some peaks. Especially the highs. It works for a lot of stuff but is a little harsh on some stuff. The lows don't have that nice Harmon-esque curve on that setting either.

You're not right. You're rigid in how it should be in a perfect world, which isn't this one. Music is mixed in all sorts of ways these days. EDM and Hip-hop for example are meant to to be played on resolving bass heavy equipment. Just go to any show and pay attention.Or go to the Imax.

@Audeze

I do not like the bottom end of the Harman curve personnaly, as it causes a group delay shift I find unmusical. The research is great, with a result on "what people prefer on average". However I postulate that people have become educated to expect a bass shelf filter, and find when it isn't present that it is "bass light". I heard here on headfi that the oppo PM3 are bass light, which is ridiculous. If this continues eventually producers will be forced to lower the bass to compensate. From what you are presenting it may already be the case, which would be very sad. Particularly as we seem to be pulling back from some of the extreams of the loudness war.

I think people separate listening tests, and listening to music.

Dec 17, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #2,478 of 5,780
Hi all, My Mobius has stopped being able to make any sound. Upon turning it on or off there is no notification of it turning on or off. The input and eq no longer presents a voice notification. I can connect via bluetooth to my phone but there is no audio. I can connect via usb to my pc but, again no audio and the audeze hq app doesnt register the headphones as connected. I would like to know if there is anything i can do to remedy this, or whether it is need of a warranty replacement.

Also i can still change from 8ch to high res when connected to pc but just sound is coming out or voice indicating the mode change.

I'm wondering if the battery is just low as i'm not getting a red light to show its charging. althought that could also mean the battery is full? Anyone know how to ensure usb charging is enabled?

Not very impressed after only having them for few months

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #2,479 of 5,780
Hi all, My Mobius has stopped being able to make any sound. Upon turning it on or off there is no notification of it turning on or off. The input and eq no longer presents a voice notification. I can connect via bluetooth to my phone but there is no audio. I can connect via usb to my pc but, again no audio and the audeze hq app doesnt register the headphones as connected. I would like to know if there is anything i can do to remedy this, or whether it is need of a warranty replacement.

Also i can still change from 8ch to high res when connected to pc but just sound is coming out or voice indicating the mode change.

I'm wondering if the battery is just low as i'm not getting a red light to show its charging. althought that could also mean the battery is full? Anyone know how to ensure usb charging is enabled?

Not very impressed after only having them for few months

Why would you write here and not message Audeze support? I know they come here every once in a while but this is just silly. Go to their website and reach out to them.

Dec 17, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #2,480 of 5,780
Why would you write here and not message Audeze support? I know they come here every once in a while but this is just silly. Go to their website and reach out to them.
Well.. It's good to hear that problem in pubblic At all :)

Dec 17, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #2,482 of 5,780
I changed my mind on buying the Sine again since the Mobius is so good, but at its current holiday sale price it’s an incredible value with all the planar clarity that would be expected at any price range. The sound signature with a modest 3dB bass boost built into the Cipher is just about perfect but I was concerned about obsolescence of the Cipher cable. I’d consider a new Sine DX as well just to have on hand but wish I could try it first. Mobius has every feature somebody could want in 2018. Warm seems to be more bassy than the Cipher’s default setting but should work well.

Dec 17, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #2,483 of 5,780
Dec 18, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #2,485 of 5,780
Something I tried-out “For Science”: Rega 2 turntable (Shure M91ED cartridge) > Schiit Mani phono pre-amp > Sennheiser BTT100 Apex Bluetooth Transmitter > Mobius.

I just picked-up the Sennheiser BTT100 as a work-around for using the Mobius in wireless/surround from my Xbox One - I run an Xbox One > Optical-out > Turtle-Beach 7.1 transmitter > AUX-out > Sennheiser BTT100, which I then paired with the Mobius - I'm happy to report this gives perfectly transparent, lag-free simulated 7.1 sound for Xbox One.

This got me thinking - what other analogue signal could I transmit via Aptx to the Mobius? I don’t really find the 3D functionality that useful when gaming, but I do enjoy it with some music (a couple of Radiohead albums come to mind), so stacked up the BTT100 to my Schiit Mani phono pre-amp, and spun TooL’s ‘Lateralus’.

I have to say - holy shitballs it was a ton of fun. I’m seriously digging the Mobius a lot for music. They’re the best Audeze I’ve head for my sonic preferences, and I’ve owned both the LCD-X and Sine and spent a bunch of time on the LCD-2.

I was questioning how much value I was getting out of the Mobius, but I might give them a bit more head-time paired-up with Vinyl. It sounds pretty-much transparent to my ears, and the 3D effect (when turned-on) throws a pretty uncanny sound-stage. And with two kittens running around our apartment these days, I’ve gotta say wireless is becoming a much more compelling proposition…
Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 11.12.54 pm.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 11.13.05 pm.png

Dec 18, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #2,487 of 5,780
No. There is no way to totally bypass DSP on Mobius as it is an active headphone. Flat has the least amount of tuning and is closest to raw you can get but it still has some DSP to make Mobius sound open.

So maybe Flat is the best to use if wanting to do additional eq?

Dec 18, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #2,488 of 5,780
I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with the EL-8 Titanium since Mobius fits better and has a less fatiguing sound but the EL-8 can be be downright fun at times as well and feels extremely premium, it just fatigues me quickly and I usually have to put it down even at a moderate volume. I tried using Tyll’s EQ for the Sine to reduce 16Hz by 5dB (I find the mids don’t need the presence boost he also adds to the Sine) and it definitely helps. I think if I used a nice amp with a bass boost the EL-8 would sound incredible. Mobius is tuned notably better overall.

Every Audeze headphone I’ve tried has its own merits and a unique sound so I’d consider buying more, but not sure how many headphones I really need :wink:. If I get a chance to try LCD headphones at a store or demo I’ll see which I prefer from that line as well before committing since I’ve tried all the Cipher headphones and Mobius but no LCD headphones yet. I’m interested in Sine DX as well but not sure it’ll have the same fun sound I enjoyed from the closed Sine with Cipher.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #2,489 of 5,780
For anyone curious, I’d probably rank the Audeze headphones I’ve heard as:

1) Mobius
2) Sine
3) EL-8 Titanium
4) iSine10 (mainly because I personally hated the fit and didn’t feel I was taking full advantage of its full potential for that reason)

As far as fitment, comfort, and features Mobius wins hands-down. It’s really incredible how planar drivers can now be produced en masse at this price point. I actually think Mobius and Sine may tie for best sound quality (Mobius definitely does a better job bringing out the best of lossy files while Sine is more resolving with lossless files) but Mobius is tuned exceptionally well. It’s really pretty neutral at its Default or Flat settings with no notable peaks or issues. I’ve only heard Sine with the Cipher but I think that’s a bit more lively due to the onboard 3dB bass boost. Excited to see what else Audeze has planned for the future, as somebody who’s interested in the technology I really enjoy the innovative side of Audeze.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #2,490 of 5,780
@MICHAELSD I'm suprised you like the Mobius in default or flat but find the EL-8 fatiguing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back