Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Dec 9, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #2,416 of 5,780
I haven't used my Mobius that much, I mostly have these issues with it:

- The bass impact/punch is dissappointing, very soft "attack" with electronic dance music
- The 3.5 aux connectivity (I know it wasn't geared to be used this way so don't give me that response, I'm aware but I need to find ways to tweak it to my liking) seems not working very well or it's geared towards working with more powerful audiophile grade amps, tested using my portable amp to add some bass boost to it but the sound just crackles, guess it's not powerful enough. What kind of amps are you using for whoever that have found clean sound in this use case?
- Microphone isn't sensitive enough, needs to pick up voice better and shouldn't have to be placed that close to the mouth, there isn't enough "wiggle room" what goes with positioning the mic and overall app mic settings as everything needs to be geared in like swiss utility knife in order to get a "decent" result when other headsets just straight "works" with default app settings and when the mic is somewhat placed in front of your mouth. The mic also has a pretty hefty 50Hz bump, sounds like it could do with a low-cut filter
- The soundstage isn't all that impressive with 3D mode off, pretty small, my $120 closed Audio Q40 that I never pictured as having particularly large soundstage still seems to edge it out slightly in depth and width.
- I still miss the ability to turn off headtracking but keeping the surround on, would be great for music listening. The Waves Nx app I tested allowed me to do this and I found it quite pleasing even for music when head tracking isn't enabled. Since Mobius doesn't have particularly impressive soundstaging with the 3D mode off it would definitely come handy

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #2,417 of 5,780
- The bass impact/punch is dissappointing, very soft "attack" with electronic dance music

Id suggest trying what I suggested a few posts back and bring the treble, 2-4khz, down a few dbs and then bring the volume back up to a comfortable level, then the sub bass is skull rattling while remaining tight and defined.

- The 3.5 aux connectivity (I know it wasn't geared to be used this way so don't give me that response, I'm aware but I need to find ways to tweak it to my liking) seems not working very well or it's geared towards working with more powerful audiophile grade amps, tested using my portable amp to add some bass boost to it but the sound just crackles, guess it's not powerful enough. What kind of amps are you using for whoever that have found clean sound in this use case?

The 3.5 connection does an analog to digital conversion, and then the headphones built in digital to analog and amplification. An audiophile grade amp would be ill advised for this connection, as would any equalizing as you found with the clipped and distorted bass boost.

- Microphone isn't sensitive enough, needs to pick up voice better and shouldn't have to be placed that close to the mouth, there isn't enough "wiggle room" what goes with positioning the mic and overall app mic settings as everything needs to be geared in like swiss utility knife in order to get a "decent" result when other headsets just straight "works" with default app settings and when the mic is somewhat placed in front of your mouth. The mic also has a pretty hefty 50Hz bump, sounds like it could do with a low-cut filter

The mic issues are windows 10 driver based and being addressed in the next firmware, you can email audeze support if youd like to try it.

- The soundstage isn't all that impressive with 3D mode off, pretty small, my $120 closed Audio Q40 that I never pictured as having particularly large soundstage still seems to edge it out slightly in depth and width.

Yes, the base soundstage is small/close due to the shallow earpads, you could try something like angled brainwavz pads that wrap over the cups easily and I found to increase the size of the soundstage, and improve imaging/treble performance.

- I still miss the ability to turn off headtracking but keeping the surround on, would be great for music listening. The Waves Nx app I tested allowed me to do this and I found it quite pleasing even for music when head tracking isn't enabled. Since Mobius doesn't have particularly impressive soundstaging with the 3D mode off it would definitely come handy

The new firmware does this as well, a 3D On setting is virtualization without headtracking

Dec 9, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #2,418 of 5,780
Id suggest trying what I suggested a few posts back and bring the treble, 2-4khz, down a few dbs and then bring the volume back up to a comfortable level, then the sub bass is skull rattling while remaining tight and defined.

The 3.5 connection does an analog to digital conversion, and then the headphones built in digital to analog and amplification. An audiophile grade amp would be ill advised for this connection, as would any equalizing as you found with the clipped and distorted bass boost.

The mic issues are windows 10 driver based and being addressed in the next firmware, you can email audeze support if youd like to try it.

Yes, the base soundstage is small/close due to the shallow earpads, you could try something like angled brainwavz pads that wrap over the cups easily and I found to increase the size of the soundstage, and improve imaging/treble performance.

The new firmware does this as well, a 3D On setting is virtualization without headtracking

V3 firmware 3d manual is without head tracking?

Dec 9, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #2,419 of 5,780
Dec 9, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #2,421 of 5,780
Dec 10, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #2,423 of 5,780
So does this headphone works on Ps4? And the 3d audio is realistic even in 2.0? And does it reproduce sound above and below in 2.0 3d?

Dec 10, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #2,424 of 5,780
And the 3d audio is realistic even in 2.0?
3d 2.0 is two speakers slightly out in front of you, like if sitting at a desk and you have two speakers on either side of your monitor, in that respect, yes it's realistic.

And does it reproduce sound above and below in 2.0 3d?

No, unless there's some real stereo dsp wizardy in whatever your listening to. But no, it's 2.0/stereo, not atmos, not ambisonics.

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #2,425 of 5,780
I've been playing insurgency sandstorm on the open beta, over the weekend and that experience just highlighted how GOOD the sound is with the Mobius.

Man the game itself has beautiful sound reproduction and mixing but the Mobius just makes it better. Explosions on warm setting sound very tight, gun fire is fast and punchy. And the localization is excellent.

I won't say it's making me a radically better player but it's so useful to rely on your hearing as much as your eyes. I was expectation this guy and kept hearing footsteps "behind him" and I keep shouting "turn around turn around!!!!!", the guy turns but he was too slow and got shot as soon as he turned lol

Dec 10, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #2,427 of 5,780
So, today on windows 10, I can no longer get the audeze software to detect the headset, anyone got a work around? It had been working fine prior to this and I didn't do anything. Unsure what to do, and I've put in a request to audeze support without a reply yet.

Dec 10, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #2,428 of 5,780
Many thanks @Audeze, we received Awesome birthday gift today and it sounds great.
IMG_20181210_134736.jpg IMG_20181210_134748__01.jpg IMG_20181210_134804__01.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #2,429 of 5,780
3d 2.0 is two speakers slightly out in front of you, like if sitting at a desk and you have two speakers on either side of your monitor, in that respect, yes it's realistic.

No, unless there's some real stereo dsp wizardy in whatever your listening to. But no, it's 2.0/stereo, not atmos, not ambisonics.
Oh, so in stereo mode doesn't it improve the '' virtualization '' or '' positioning'' of the audio? I though this '3D Audio' did works even on 2.0 about the positioning and with so, the immersivness of the audio.. I did not get it. They call it headtracking ok, but even 3d audio.. Mhh.. (I'm interest in 2.0 because on consoles i can't get 7.1 or more)

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #2,430 of 5,780
Yes.

Though some find improvement using a USB noise reduction or power isolation product with their computer. These products aren't available for USB-C AFAIK.
thank goodness for that, but even if I was falling for the idea of such products and their maligned reasoning of their existence, phones don't use any AC power supplies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back