Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Dec 6, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #2,402 of 5,780
Hi, i would like to use my mobius with a vr headset.

Is there a way to have 7.1 virtualization on but head tracking off ?

If i'm not wrong the 3rd mode when long pressing the 3D button is disabling both 7.1 virutalization AND head traking.

Thanks

Dec 6, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #2,404 of 5,780
Hi, i would like to use my mobius with a vr headset.

Is there a way to have 7.1 virtualization on but head tracking off ?

If i'm not wrong the 3rd mode when long pressing the 3D button is disabling both 7.1 virutalization AND head traking.

Thanks

If you're using them with the Vive there's no need for the 7.1 virtualisation since Vive will send a pre-virtualised stereo signal - not a raw 5.1 or 7.1 signal to be decoded by the Mobius. Other platforms, I'm not sure.

This is my understanding (based on owning both) but confident that someone will correct me if I'm wrong (which does happen....from time to time)

Dec 7, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #2,407 of 5,780
The Fiio M9 is under 300 EUR and with the USB C cable it is much better compared to the LDAC, which does not work too properly with the M9 when Wifi is on (meaning it does not work, you have to switch Wifi of). What a killer combo for such a great price.

Dec 8, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #2,409 of 5,780
3D is pretty cool for music with some subtle movements. It can be immersive and fun with the right song. Though honestly music sounds more natural without the head-tracking, and it is still a first-class Bluetooth headphone.

Gotta say, the EL-8 sounds more high-end and detailed but hands-down I prefer my Mobius and grab it way more often — and I think it responds even better to lossy music while EL-8 is more at home with lossless. I haven’t heard the LCD-2 but Mobius might be Audeze’s most fun headphone. The default signature lends itself well to being fun. The presets are almost unnecessary with how balanced the default signature is but are definitely welcome. Still looking forward to trying the Warm preset.

I’ve tested:

Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless
Bose QC35
WH-1000XM2
Beats Studio3

Simply, Mobius sounds better than all of those headphones. No comparison. But those headphones have different use cases with ANC and portability so it may not totally be a fair comparison for a traveler.

(The only place I’ve decided not to use Mobius is the gym — truly wireless is the way to go for workouts.)

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #2,410 of 5,780
The Fiio M9 is under 300 EUR and with the USB C cable it is much better compared to the LDAC, which does not work too properly with the M9 when Wifi is on (meaning it does not work, you have to switch Wifi of). What a killer combo for such a great price.

One thing wondered me. I get noticeably more hiss in the 7.1 modus versus the 2 channe modus and again even less in the high res mode, when using the Mobius with the Fiio M9 via USB C.
Anyone has this phenomenon too?
I did not get this when I used the Mobius with my iPad and the Camera Kit.

Dec 8, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #2,411 of 5,780
Thanks for all the replies re: LDAC vs Android USB quality. I assume USB Android would then be same quality as USB Windows.

On another note, here's a new one: today while listening to Mobius (USB), Windows froze, and I received a static:zap:shock to the right ear. Not painful, but a bit concerning.. anyone else experience something like this? @Audeze? Guess I won't be swimming with these.

I would say that is probably a computer issue if you are plugged in USB. I am going through this right now where my power to my computer is dirty (voltage spike) and the house I am in is older and doesn't have the ground on the 3rd prong. This is common for older houses and buildings - and even more common in other countries. The fix for me is I have a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) on order and that will regulate the voltage.

I was able to figure out my issue because I have a K70 keyboard that has a metal top and it give me a little shock. It was really bad but I made some changes to my power delivery (removed daisy chained surge strips) (not setup by me) :) and it got better but the UPS is the main fix.

Dec 8, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #2,412 of 5,780
Can't update my Mobius since that GD32 DFU Mcu Driver thing doesn't appear under the device manager. Uninstall/Reinstall was no help. Any workaround?

Dec 8, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #2,413 of 5,780
The fix for me is I have a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) on order and that will regulate the voltage.

APC LE1200 Line-R 1200VA Automatic Voltage Regulator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009RA60/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_SNfdCb72NC2ZG

The default signature lends itself well to being fun. The presets are almost unnecessary with how balanced the default signature is but are definitely welcome.

I don't know how you all use default with 3d, 3d off ok, I get it, personal preference, but with 3d on it's way to bright, and not just the mobius but any headphone I use with hrtf virtualization needs to be flat, and that's with movies and even single acoustic instrument music, it's significantly more natural sounding.

Try it, start in Music and bring 2-3k down 4-5dbs:
20181208_190511.jpg

I have room ambience set at 35-40
That plus the deeper angled pads and the Mobius really sounds perfect. I should add that you turn the volume up after eqing the treble down since that was a recurring theme earlier in the thread... lol

but hands-down I prefer my Mobius and grab it way more often —

I agree unless I'm using my desktop systems, I almost never listen to my other headphones with my phone and dragonfly black anymore. And it also saved me from running albums through OOYH and recording the binaural mix xD

Yes.

Though some find improvement using a USB noise reduction or power isolation product with their computer. These products aren't available for USB-C AFAIK.

Tougher to use usb conditioners with a phone though due to size and power requirements.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 5:34 AM Post #2,414 of 5,780
Dec 9, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #2,415 of 5,780
Sad to see that the firmware still hasn't made it out yet. The microphone is unusable with the currently released firmware.

I check in every few days or so to see if it was released. As a Mac owner who can only update on a Windows machine, I'd need to take my headphones to work to update it.

I understand Audeze is taking in feedback for the official firmware release, so maybe there are a lot of changes going into this firmware and it'll be a massive change that requires a lot of testing. I personally am looking forward to the Warm setting the most, and any mic improvements so that I can use them with my PS4. Had a few people complain about my mic so I switched back to my X2's and BoomPro mic in the meantime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back