Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Nov 6, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #2,116 of 5,780
1. How do these compare to the Nuraphone?
2. Can you listen via USB to a smartphone and does this draw power from the phone, or does it use the onboard battery n this case?
1. Mobius are very different and have head-tracking, 3D etc. Nuraphone is for a different market segment.
2. Yes. You can do either. They can draw power from the phone or use the battery. You can turn off the charging and force the Mobius to use battery.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Nov 6, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #2,117 of 5,780
1. Mobius are very different and have head-tracking, 3D etc. Nuraphone is for a different market segment.
2. Yes. You can do either. They can draw power from the phone or use the battery. You can turn off the charging and force the Mobius to use battery.
I was hoping for a sound quality comparison from those who have heard both.

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #2,118 of 5,780
I was hoping for a sound quality comparison from those who have heard both.
You can't compare them they are completely different areas. Nuraphone sounds different for everyone, literally not subjectively. They're trying to personalize your hearing based on each individuals hearing. So you really can't compare these which don't work like that.

Nov 6, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #2,119 of 5,780
You can't compare them they are completely different areas. Nuraphone sounds different for everyone, literally not subjectively. They're trying to personalize your hearing based on each individuals hearing. So you really can't compare these which don't work like that.
Why not? They're both wireless/closed headphones, and they both can be used to listen to music. If the Möbius doesn't sound as good as the Nuraphone I won't buy it.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #2,120 of 5,780
Why not? They're both headphones, and they both can be used to listen to music. If the Möbius doesn't sound as good as the Nuraphone I won't buy it.

The Nuraphone sounds different for every single person that uses it, so it's impossible to make a comparison. It's a completely personalized audio device for the listener.

You would need to use the Nuraphone yourself to determine how it sounds.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #2,121 of 5,780
Haven't been able to find the answer to this one yet.
I have an apple ipad Air 2 with apple lightning input.
Can apple lightning output 5.1/7.1 content from this device over cck?
Which cck generation is recommended?
Will mobius be recognized and used to full 7.1 potential connected this way?
Where to find 5.1/7.1 content to d/l onto ipad?
Thanks!
No you won’t Get 5.1/7.1 from an iPad. I am using the first version CCK with an iPad Air 2 and the Mobius USB-C to USB-A provided cable. I can choose HiRes and choose 7.1. 7.1 + Flat + 3D on sounds great with movies, Netflix. HiRes and Default for Music. I thought I had read the CKK kit and Mobius did not work. But I am finding it works great and sounds great.

Nov 7, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #2,122 of 5,780
The Nuraphone sounds different for every single person that uses it, so it's impossible to make a comparison. It's a completely personalized audio device for the listener.

You would need to use the Nuraphone yourself to determine how it sounds.
I have used it. It's the best wireless headphone I've heard. To say they can't be compared is a bit of a cop out. If the Möbius doesn't sound as good, then I won't buy it especially considering it's a bit more expensive. I will be listening purely to music in stereo, and I have no need for all the 3D technology.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #2,123 of 5,780
I have used it. It's the best wireless headphone I've heard. To say they can't be compared is a bit of a cop out. If the Möbius doesn't sound as good, then I won't buy it especially considering it's a bit more expensive. I will be listening purely to music in stereo, and I have no need for all the 3D technology.
Feels like I'm feeding a troll, but dude the nuraphone literally sounds different to each person that wears it. If you want little peckers in your ears, get nuraphone. If you want wireless planar with head tracking, get mobius.

Nov 7, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #2,124 of 5,780
Have you done any research on the Nuraphone at all? It even says on their site that it has a self-learning engine at its core that creates a unique listening experience based on the user and how they hear things. The Audeze Mobius has different presets, but does not adapt to each individual user the way Nuraphone does, so it can only sound how it sounds. Nothing about it changes. So you literally cannot compare them to each other for the simple reason that the Nuraphone will sound different for everyone while the Audeze Mobius will generally sound about the same, no matter who uses it. The only thing that will differ in the case of the Mobius and its users is their individual sound preference and whether or not they like it, whereas with the Nuraphone, the sound itself is what changes based on your unique hearing profile. That's the entire point in getting the Nuraphone, isn't it? To have something that doesn't sound like anything else on the market, unique to yourself?

I dunno. Maybe I'm wrong. Someone correct me if I am, but from their site and what is says, that's what the goal seems to be.

Nov 7, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #2,125 of 5,780
Feels like I'm feeding a troll, but dude the nuraphone literally sounds different to each person that wears it. If you want little peckers in your ears, get nuraphone. If you want wireless planar with head tracking, get mobius.
I'm not trolling. I genuinely want to get a general idea from people who have heard both. I understand the purpose of the technology. I just simply want to know if the Nuraphone sounds better to people than the Möbius. To clarify, I did try the Nuraphone but the personalisation process didn't work perfectly for me and bass would distort in the left ear on certain techno/club tracks. Otherwise it sounded superb with other genres. So I didn't keep them. I'm in the market for a wireless headphone purely for music. If the consensus is that Möbius sounds as good or better, I'll get them. If you're not nterested then don't respond.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #2,126 of 5,780
I'm not trolling. I genuinely want to get a general idea from people who have heard both. I understand the purpose of the technology. I just simply want to know if the Nuraphone sounds better to people than the Möbius. To clarify, I did try the Nuraphone but the personalisation process didn't work perfectly for me and bass would distort in the left ear on certain techno/club tracks. Otherwise it sounded superb with other genres. So I didn't keep them. I'm in the market for a wireless headphone purely for music. If the consensus is that Möbius sounds as good or better, I'll get them. If you're not nterested then don't respond.

Without wishing to get involved, I think the point a few of the other posters were trying to make is that the Nuraphone "personalises" the EQ for each person - therefore, if you were suffering a lack of sensitivity or hearing loss in the mids (for instance), the Nuraphone EQ would compensate for that. I'm comparison, the Audeze has 4 relevant EQ presets for music, so if none of those matched your particular profile, the Mobius would probably sound recessed in the mids. For someone who had perfect midrange hearing (so the Nuraphone adjusted mid-EQ downwards), the Mobius would sound relatively more emphasised or forward.

I guess the best comparison would be between the detail retrieval and overall sonic quality of the reproduction, rather than the overall sound or tuning. Genuinely wish you good luck with your search - hopefully someone will be able to shed a bit more light on the differences between the two.

One other observation - if the bass was distorting in the left earcup, unless three was a driver issue, I'd imagine this could be distortion due to EQ. The Mobius takes EQ about as well as the iSine series from my initial experiments (in other words, very well), so doesn't distort when boosting frequencies - this may be worth experimenting with if you do get your hands on a pair. The warm preset in the Mobius is a completely different tonality to the Default, for instance, with a large amount more bass.

Nov 7, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #2,127 of 5,780
Without wishing to get involved, I think the point a few of the other posters were trying to make is that the Nuraphone "personalises" the EQ for each person - therefore, if you were suffering a lack of sensitivity or hearing loss in the mids (for instance), the Nuraphone EQ would compensate for that. I'm comparison, the Audeze has 4 relevant EQ presets for music, so if none of those matched your particular profile, the Mobius would probably sound recessed in the mids. For someone who had perfect midrange hearing (so the Nuraphone adjusted mid-EQ downwards), the Mobius would sound relatively more emphasised or forward.

I guess the best comparison would be between the detail retrieval and overall sonic quality of the reproduction, rather than the overall sound or tuning. Genuinely wish you good luck with your search - hopefully someone will be able to shed a bit more light on the differences between the two.

One other observation - if the bass was distorting in the left earcup, unless three was a driver issue, I'd imagine this could be distortion due to EQ. The Mobius takes EQ about as well as the iSine series from my initial experiments (in other words, very well), so doesn't distort when boosting frequencies - this may be worth experimenting with if you do get your hands on a pair. The warm preset in the Mobius is a completely different tonality to the Default, for instance, with a large amount more bass.
A bit off topic, but the personalisation process didn't work perfectly because the left ear nozzle wouldn't create a sufficient seal, hence the distorted bass on the left ear on certain tracks. This happened with 2 different units so I assume the process isn't perfect for everyone.
Z (from Z Reviews) did say the Möbius sounds better than the Bose, which is considered one of the better sounding wireless headphones. However, Some other reviews on YouTube eg Joshua Valour and Metal 571 were of the opinion that the Möbius isn't worth $400. I put a lot of credence in what this group of reviewers opinions are as they seem to align with mine much of the time. Would've been nice to be able to demo them first hand but I don't think that's possible at the his stage.

Nov 7, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #2,128 of 5,780
I have been following everyone's posts and the various issues with the Mobius. Sounds like Audeze has a lot of fleshing out to do and as they introduce firmware, the Mobius experience is sure to improve for those that have made the purchase. I don't foresee Audeze reducing the price as they put a lot of tech into this headphone and are heavily involved improving it. I have ordered the Creative SX-Fi, which they say will be about 10 weeks out. I am curious about this product and what is does. A discerning thing is "all sales are final". So, if it is poor in performance, then you are out the $150.00. But the most exciting thing is the various manufactures getting involved with 3D sound via headphones. Obviously, these are two different types of products aimed at different markets, but never the less, they are pushing the boundaries in this tech. I will report what I experience on the Creative, once I get it and experience what it can do. I would use it mostly on the PC for gaming and somewhat listening to music. I am glad that Audeze is pushing forward and people as still supporting the tech. I understand what reviewers report as they are comparing "what you get" verses the cost of the product. But I hope many of the buyers will not overlook the cutting edge of the tech and the support companies like Audeze and other companies need to keep up the research.

Nov 7, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #2,129 of 5,780
. I will be listening purely to music in stereo, and I have no need for all the 3D technology

I only use the Mobius as 3d stereo bluetooth headphones and love them for that. The virtual stereo effect is great for music, creating a larger soundstage out in front of you. They're very responsive to EQ, e.g. adjusting one end of the FR doesn't effect another end. They've played well with the various genres I've thrown at them, death/black metal, classical, and synthwave.

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #2,130 of 5,780
regarding the worrisome 'hiss' that seems to be inconsistently occurring. I was very concerned about this before I received my headphones, as I have sensitive IEMS that drove me nuts with standby hiss until I finally got a good portable DAC for them, and something about the specific frequency of typical standby hiss or white noise particularly activates my tinnitus and severely limits the duration and low volume I can listen to headphones without getting head fatigue.

When I first plugged my Mobius in with the included cable, I had very noticeable hiss. enough so that I doubted I had received a good product - there must be something wrong with them! After investigating a little further I found that my onboard sound card was 'listening' to one of the line-in jacks and introducing hiss from /that/ signal into the overall system mix. The external speakers that I use are pretty quick to fall off on the low DB side, so I think I never noticed this before. After I unchecked the 'listen to this input' on the control panel, the hiss was gone - or at least immeasurable to my already compromised ears.

I'm still having difficulty with a stable USB connection, and still having problems using Bluetooth for calls at the same time I've got the headset plugged in, but I haven't had a lot of time to mess around with that. I did get a new powered usb hub hooked up and now I can use a 6 foot cable and the hub's extension to get 10 feet away from the computer, but really I need 15-20 feet. I see more cable swaps coming up. I'm hoping they can clear up the Bluetooth call over audio issue via firmware, and I saw someone else report this issue as well.

TBH - I've got to give it a few days as my ears are still recovering from a very loud weekend, but to me the clarity is comparable to my 500 series shures, bass isn't as punchy though, and the overall range doesn't seem AS dynamic, but then again I'm comparing sealed IEMS to semi squishy pads over my ears. Part of why I ordered these was I the fact that I was really doing some damage to my ears with the iems in all day long, so I'm looking for a little fatigue relief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back