Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Oct 20, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #1,861 of 5,780
Apologies if this has been discussed already, but I'm trying to gain insight into the sound signature difference between having my significant other's Mobius connected to a computer (Windows OS) via USB and using Mobius via bluetooth or 3.5mm cable with a dedicated DAP. The difference in sound signature in my case feels like using a headphone with an amp (fuller, more impactful sound when connected via USB to computer) vs using one without an amp (not the volume issue, but less "full, rich" sound).

I am comparing strictly 2-channel or hi-res (also 2-channel) mode using, for example, the new Warm preset, with 3-D off in all cases. In Windows, I've tried using default Windows Media Player, Groove Music, and Audirvana Plus trial; didn't notice any difference between them in default EQ state. For bluetooth, I use "hi res" bluetooth option on my Shanling M3s player.

Since Mobius has a built-in DAC and amp, I thought the difference should be minimal. I'm sure I'm missing something.
If you have an iDevice (iPhone etc.) and the cabled Earbuds or EarPods you can easily build a simple but effective measurement system, takes 10min to do.
Get youself the app "AudioTools" from
https://www.studiosixdigital.com/
- there's a 7 day time limited full version.
Tape the Earbud's mic to the corner of a table or better a separate piece of woodboard, in a way that you can place Mobius on it with the mic centered. A crosshatch and some circles drawn around the mic helps with precise placement.
For pink noise use any source like a PC, Mac, 2nd iPhone, CD player, or best cut away the earplugs of the earbuds and solder a 3.5 mm plug to it to use Audiotoos internal generator.
With AudioTools FFT function (best setting: EPPO, 90% overlap) you can now precisely measure and compare the 2 Mobius.
You can overlay the curves and even displaying the difference.

This setup gives quite reasonable results, as AudioTools has built in compensation for the EarBuds microphone.

Here's what a comparison (curve difference, saved - live, S-L ) of 2 Mobius can look like, the reference curve (green, Mobius#1 left) was "Recall to Live Plot", displayed as flat.
This is the difference, not absolute values! So it's easier to precisely see the differences of the 4 cups.

IMG_0861.PNG

Here are the setting for that:
IMG_0862.jpg
IMG_0863.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #1,866 of 5,780
And if I ask why the LED is always red although Mobius is always USB-connected to my PC...?

Its charging over usb.

Hey guys.

I will buy the PS4 pro for Red Dead Redemption 2.

If I want the most features of Mobius with, what is the best use of it? Is it compatible in the first time? (I don't have the console yet).

You're asking about the best platform? PC.

Oct 20, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #1,867 of 5,780
This may seem elementary. After I measured my head and applied the settings, everything sounded better and worked better. I mean much better. Headtracking is faster and more accurate. 3D sounds more natural and has better instrument separation with music. Better overall tone. I had just not gotten around to setting up the Mobius headphones in the ‘app’. The only reason I’ve posted this, is I am sure there are others who have not done this yet. Now I have the headphones sounding as they should (I assume :wink:
FYI my set does not hiss

Oct 20, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #1,868 of 5,780
This may seem elementary. After I measured my head and applied the settings, everything sounded better and worked better. I mean much better. Headtracking is faster and more accurate. 3D sounds more natural and has better instrument separation with music. Better overall tone. I had just not gotten around to setting up the Mobius headphones in the ‘app’. The only reason I’ve posted this, is I am sure there are others who have not done this yet. Now I have the headphones sounding as they should (I assume :wink:
FYI my set does not hiss

Maybe in future iterations they could use sensors within the earcups and headband for measurement, making an already complex headphone even more complex :wink:.

Oct 20, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #1,869 of 5,780
Regarding the hiss, there is a very low noise floor that is drastically improved from the original version. Only around 300 people tested the pre-revision Mobius and know what the original hiss sounded like, and it was noisier than even ANC headphones I’ve tested. Now it’s virtually silent but I think the transparency of the drivers is just causing it to be more noticeable than it would be on less-resolving drivers. It’s entirely possible that the people who still hear a hiss are just sensitive to having any noise floor at all.

My advice to anyone who’s interested in Mobius but concerned about the now virtually non-existent hiss would be not to be worried about it. (I think we can pretty much close this chapter of this thread, but I saw some people mentioned it a few pages back.)

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #1,870 of 5,780
FYI my set does not hiss

this cannot be mentioned often enough. Measure your heads, people, it will make the imaging and localization more precise

• Head Circumference, being the measurement around your head. If you don’t already know this very cerebral measurement, you can discover it by wrapping a measuring tape all the way around your head, over the tops of your ears and just above your eyebrows. Place the 0 end of the measuring tape above the bridge of your nose, then wrap the tape around your head and pinch the tape where it contacts the 0 end again. You may then move the app’s slider until the corresponding number appears in the box. We have adopted the “very retro” Imperial Measurement system, which means you’ll need to measure your head in inches.
  • Inter-aural Arc is the semi-circumference from one ear canal to the other, as measured around the back of your head. To measure this distance, place the 0 end of the measuring tape at one ear canal, then wrap the tape around the backside of your head and pinch the tape where it contacts your other ear canal. You may then move the slider until the appropriate number appears in the box (again, in inches)."

Oct 20, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #1,871 of 5,780
Regarding the hiss, there is a very low noise floor that is drastically improved from the original version. Only around 300 people tested the pre-revision Mobius and know what the original hiss sounded like, and it was noisier than even ANC headphones I’ve tested. Now it’s virtually silent but I think the transparency of the drivers is just causing it to be more noticeable than it would be on less-resolving drivers. It’s entirely possible that the people who still hear a hiss are just sensitive to having any noise floor at all.

My advice to anyone who’s interested in Mobius but concerned about the now virtually non-existent hiss would be not to be worried about it. (I think we can pretty much close this chapter of this thread, but I saw some people mentioned it a few pages back.)

Fully disagree. As you can see this is a 50:50 vote. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pol...noise-hiss-noise-floor-do-you-hear-it.890462/

Oct 20, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #1,875 of 5,780
@Audeze Please consider adding the option to eliminate built-in noise suppression for the microphone, or whatever it is that cuts out the first few milliseconds of sound at the beginning of speech. It is REALLY annoying to miss the first syllable of literally every third word because of this "feature". Everyone who I have talked to (including me) using the mic thinks it makes speech sound ridiculous.

In addition, I find that a windscreen is really necessary for this microphone, and I recommend you include a simple windscreen down the road. A piece of bounty taped to the mic makes a night-and-day difference in terms of reducing the disruptiveness of plosives.

Again, otherwise a great headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back