Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Oct 19, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #1,847 of 5,780
Zero issue localizing sound from behind. Playing Blackout last night I was able to accurately tell where an enemy was while I was crouched in a garage. I could hear him outside running around the building and knew when he got to the door and perfectly timed a flashbang.

There's something about cod 4 man

First day it was working amazing and I felt like I was in a battlefield. I changed some settings here and there and now the imaging is soft of vague... I heard there is a bug with sound in BLOPS 4 about this, at least in the beta - no idea if it was fixed for retail.

I think the console versions also have different audio mixing options to highlight footsteps and such ..

Oct 19, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #1,848 of 5,780
I was using blender to render a video last night, and with that going I was getting some audible crackling that changed in volume when I changed the volume. Checked task manager and CPU was >70% (i7 6600k). As soon as the rendering was complete and the CPU dropped, everything was back to normal. Anyone else have this, either as a result of high load or just blender doing something weird?

Oct 19, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #1,849 of 5,780
I was using blender to render a video last night, and with that going I was getting some audible crackling that changed in volume when I changed the volume. Checked task manager and CPU was >70% (i7 6600k). As soon as the rendering was complete and the CPU dropped, everything was back to normal. Anyone else have this, either as a result of high load or just blender doing something weird?

You were playing a game while blender was running? Or listening to music? Or nothing playing and crackling? All the processing is done on the mobius. Ive had a 4770k at 60-70% on 8 threads and sli cards at 100% and doing the processing in windows(with ooyh or waves nx) and never had any issues.

Oct 19, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #1,850 of 5,780
Headtracking strenght: I have correctly calibrated my head size with the AUDEZE HQ App, this listening test is with "3D Manual" setting, mono signal into USB:
The headtracking effect is about 2 times too strong in the front +/-60° circle.
Small head turns move the center image about the turning angle to the opposite side instead of keeping it located at the former front/center position.
Once I turn myself further the virtual source locates correctly in the back half-circle angles.
Seems L+R virtual speakers are located too far outside (> +/-30°)
There's hardly a difference in placement between L+R and Lss+Rss virtual speakers.
Editing the speaker placement should be allowed in the AUDEZE HQ app, like in the Waves NX software.

Found similar things testing out the non-updated version re the head tracking. For me, the Lss/Rss are about +/-80deg from center which is a bit too tight for 7.1 and way too tight for 5.1. Speaker placement would be a nice thing.

Oct 19, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #1,851 of 5,780
You were playing a game while blender was running? Or listening to music? Or nothing playing and crackling? All the processing is done on the mobius. Ive had a 4770k at 60-70% on 8 threads and sli cards at 100% and doing the processing in windows(with ooyh or waves nx) and never had any issues.

Had a game running, but it was on the menus. So using a bunch of RAM but not much else. I know that all processing is done on the mobius, but it's my understanding that the CPU needs to actively send/receive data through USB and via polling - there's no other hardware to do it and it's not interrupt-driven. Was wondering if that was related, but since my CPU wasn't at 100% didn't think so. Could just be some weird interaction with blender.

Oct 19, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #1,852 of 5,780
Had a game running, but it was on the menus. So using a bunch of RAM but not much else. I know that all processing is done on the mobius, but it's my understanding that the CPU needs to actively send/receive data through USB and via polling - there's no other hardware to do it and it's not interrupt-driven. Was wondering if that was related, but since my CPU wasn't at 100% didn't think so. Could just be some weird interaction with blender.

I wonder if a hub chip or active usb cable would help in that instance.

Oct 19, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #1,853 of 5,780
The firmware update should not affect any of the playback gain or 8ch mode. Do you see the same behavior on a different PC?

Since you have already tried the obvious steps, one more thing to try: When Mobius is connected in 8ch mode, go to Device manager identify Mobius and uninstall it. Then disconnect Mobius, reboot PC, power cycle Mobius and connect Mobius back again. Also check if you have accidentally enabled any enhancements in the sound profile (Sound->playback)

Is the new firmware update ready for the general public to download? Sorry, I might have missed it?

Oct 20, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #1,858 of 5,780
Oct 20, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #1,859 of 5,780
Not yet, we are trying to pack more features/fixes based on the feedback we received and are in the process of testing them.
One other thing about the voice prompts I recently noticed was the the combination of "Power on"/"Power off" is not ideal—especially when not wearing the phones but having them sitting next to you, it's hard to distinguish the two. A better 'contrast' would be nice, like "Power up"/"Power down" or something.
Would it be possible to change that in one of the firmware updates as well?

Oct 20, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #1,860 of 5,780
One other thing about the voice prompts I recently noticed was the the combination of "Power on"/"Power off" is not ideal—especially when not wearing the phones but having them sitting next to you, it's hard to distinguish the two. A better 'contrast' would be nice, like "Power up"/"Power down" or something.
Would it be possible to change that in one of the firmware updates as well?
In the same direction:
If you disable USB charging all I understand is “purging off”. Only as I read here what happens when pressing long the volume button, I understood what it does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back