Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 27, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #1,156 of 5,780
only "hiss" present on my Mobius is when they are connected via AUX with the volume cranked way up. During USB connection and Bluetooth there is zero hiss present

I second this. For folks who are reporting issues, it's important to mention how you're using the Mobius because it has so many ways to use it.

I find the Aux volume too low and it sounds bad compared to USB and BT. I'd never use it unless I had to...

P.s. the issue with windows 10 default volume that Audeze is aware of also explains why my Mic works fine on a MacBook...

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #1,157 of 5,780
I've used my Mobius for about a week now and figured I'd give my impression of them on here. The sound is really nice and spot on what I want for music, nice and impactful bass that doesn't get in the way of mids and highs. I'm not really an audiophile and don't have a lot of experience with expensive equipment nor planar magnetic headphones. The best set of headphones I had before these are the AKG k720 pro, and I personally much prefer the sound profile of the mobius for the things I listen to.

Haven't played around a whole lot with the headtracking yet, played a quick deathmatch in CS:GO with the 7.1 setting and 5.1 set in the game. Unsure if this is the correct setting for this, but it seemed pretty accurate as far as spatial sound goes and the sound is surprisingly nice considering I'm not a huge fan of the reverb used to create the room ambiance for the surround sound. For music I found the 2ch without head tracking with the Music EQ to be the most pleasing to my ears, at least for more for funsies genres like EDM and more chill background stuff like lofi hip hop.

There is a distinct yet very quiet hiss in my headphones while nothing is playing, but it's completely inaudible while listening to even quiet music or quiet moments during gaming to me. It's present with both the USB cables connected to my PC, and on my Android phone through USB type C and LDAC Bluetooth. Again, this has no impact on my listening experience what so ever.

I've seen a lot of people having issues with the head tracking. Not sure if this has been addressed yet, but I found that messing with the head measurements in the Audeze HQ App will cause the head tracking to start drifting if the measurements are incorrect. In my case, reducing the measurements caused the drifting. If anyone is experiencing the head tracking to drift in 3d manual, I'd try increasing and decreasing the measurements and see if that helps, for me the default settings worked the best (There's a reset to default button in the app if you need it).

One thing I would like in the future is better controls in the app, having to use the controls on the headphones for turning off the head tracking and swapping between 7.1, 2 channel etc. gets tedious after a while, I much prefer just making those changes in an app and save them as profiles rather than having to hold various buttons in for several seconds to find the settings I prefer for different listening experiences. Seeing how the EQ settings can be set in the app I don't see why it can't be used to adjust the other settings as well.

As for the microphone, mine's not working well, although I found that the reason for this is that the microphone really doesn't like a ground loop issue my PC has. It creates an intense amount of hum which seems to cause the background noise reduction to be super aggressive, causing my voice to duck in and out when speaking into it. I stumbled over this discovery when I touched my PC case and it reduced the noise from the microphone bleeding into the sidetone significantly (The hum in the sidetone is subtle, but it's noticeable when I mute and unmute the mic or ground my case). I don't know much about electronics, but considering that my PC is connected to an outlet without ground, I'm guessing this is what's causing my ground loop issue. In any case I've ordered a USB isolator in hopes that it'll fix it. Outside of the ground loop issue the mic seems to work relatively fine with my very quiet voice.

Hopefully some of these discoveries I made for myself is helpful to others having similar issues.

Sep 27, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #1,158 of 5,780
I should add that I simply use a system wide windows EQ while the Mobius is set to default profile, so I never see any need to switch the EQ profile. Equalizer APO is free and great software to tailor sound profiles to your liking. I use it for all my headphones, create a profile for Mobius and tweak to your desired sound. This way you never need to change the profile on Mobius. Maybe this is a step you feel you shouldn't need to take, but none the less it's a great solution.

This is a good solution if you're only using the Mobius on PC, but as someone who uses it across multiple devices, including an Android phone and game consoles, I'd love to be able to save a custom EQ to my Mobius that works everywhere. There are some minor tweaks I'd like to make to it, but I don't want it to sound different on different devices.

Sep 27, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #1,159 of 5,780
This is a good solution if you're only using the Mobius on PC, but as someone who uses it across multiple devices, including an Android phone and game consoles, I'd love to be able to save a custom EQ to my Mobius that works everywhere. There are some minor tweaks I'd like to make to it, but I don't want it to sound different on different devices.

There are EQ options for Android as well where you can mimick the settings in APO. Ive gotten accustomed to my cans sounding different on my PC vs my phone anyway. I think for most people they have a different setup for home use vs mobile in terms of gear. My home amp and dac can't leave the house with me, so connecting headphones to my phone are already going to be a different experience.

Sep 27, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #1,160 of 5,780
I second this. For folks who are reporting issues, it's important to mention how you're using the Mobius because it has so many ways to use it.

I find the Aux volume too low and it sounds bad compared to USB and BT. I'd never use it unless I had to...

P.s. the issue with windows 10 default volume that Audeze is aware of also explains why my Mic works fine on a MacBook...

I hear the hissing on every mode. Most often though I am using 7.1 on my pc via usb. Hissing is there. Always. Not very loud or annoying, but very noticeable.

Sep 27, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #1,161 of 5,780
Yeah, my only beef with the Mobius is a lack of refinement in the UI, and a wish they'd round out the feature set (as well as the proper UI to execute it) to allow the headset be as Mobius-y as it can be. I'm noticing a very low hiss that is a lot quieter than the analog tape hiss from older recordings. Quieter than other wireless headsets, in my limited experience.

Sep 27, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #1,162 of 5,780
The only "hiss" present on my Mobius is when they are connected via AUX with the volume cranked way up. During USB connection and Bluetooth there is zero hiss present. To me it's a completely black background. I have the Mobius on right now connected via USB, 3D headtracking turned on, volume at 100%, and they are 100% completely black with no audible hiss. They are just as silent as my HD650's connected to the Asgard 2.

I doubt ANYONE can do a blind test to see if my Mobius is on or off. It's that hard to notice any background noise.

There IS a difference but man it's impossible to tell

Sep 27, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #1,163 of 5,780
I doubt ANYONE can do a blind test to see if my Mobius is on or off. It's that hard to notice any background noise.

There IS a difference but man it's impossible to tell

Yes, on yours maybe. My experience on mine is the complete opposite. If you were to do a blind test on mine whether its on or off, i doubt anyone wouldnt be able to figure it out. Its not loud or that annoying, but its very very obvious.

Anyways, this is going in circles here. Audeze has already done their fix, and I am not sure if they are going to address the seeming variation between units. Some people hear almost no hiss, others hear a pretty noticeable hiss. Without direct comparisons, going to be hard to tell how much actual difference there is or if we all just hear it differently.

Sep 27, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #1,164 of 5,780
Yes, on yours maybe. My experience on mine is the complete opposite. If you were to do a blind test on mine whether its on or off, i doubt anyone wouldnt be able to figure it out. Its not loud or that annoying, but its very very obvious.

Anyways, this is going in circles here. Audeze has already done their fix, and I am not sure if they are going to address the seeming variation between units. Some people hear almost no hiss, others hear a pretty noticeable hiss. Without direct comparisons, going to be hard to tell how much actual difference there is or if we all just hear it differently.

Agree. USB on a Macbook Air here, 7.1 mode. The noise is completely audible in certain quiet sections of music for me. It's not annoyingly audible, because hey it's not pigs squealing at -80dBFS, but if I keep my headphones as they are I will have to accept never having a true fade to nothing. If other people ARE getting that, I certainly want to know.

Sep 27, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #1,167 of 5,780
But then it's not High Res anymore. LDAC on Android automatically defaults to 96kHz, which disables 3D headtracking and enables high res.
Too true, too true.

I guess I should have tried to quote Mkoll as quoting you alone didn't pull his quote over with it...

"1) Over BT, the 3D button doesn't do anything. Holding the microphone volume wheel to change between 3D auto, manual, and off also doesn’t do anything. Does the Mobius default to high-res in this mode?"

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #1,168 of 5,780

Call their support line. That way you don't have to guess on whether they will fix units that have hiss.

Sep 27, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #1,169 of 5,780
I think he's of the thought that if Audeze says it's a fixed version, which it is, then they won't fix it again. I wish I could hear mine next to another person's with audible hiss. I'd almost be willing to bet it's not that any are that much worse or better than another but rather we all have different hearing perception. Even mine, I've touted the fact they have no hiss. Well, that was in a normal quiet room environment. When I went into a super-silent room I could actually detect noise floor. Mind you, just barely where as before I hadn't noticed it at all. In my case it's not even close to an issue. But perhaps someone with Superman hearing would say mine hiss to high heaven.

Sep 27, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #1,170 of 5,780
Regarding battery charging:
  1. Fastest way to charge is through a 1A charger, turn off Mobius connect to a wall charger that can do 1A via USB.
  2. Connected via USB: If you leave Mobius connected to a PC/Mac that is switched on, it charges at the maximum allowed 500mA, irrespective of whether Mobius is switched on or Off.
  3. Connected via USB: If you leave Mobius connected to a PC/Mac that is switched off, it discharges irrespective of whether Mobius is switched on or Off. This is because the micro controller detects a USB connection and is waiting for input.
  4. Connected via Aux: If you connect via Aux and leave Mobius on, even if no music is playing, Mobius will discharge as A/D converter and the rest of the system is active. If you Switch off Mobius it will keep the charge.
  5. Paired via BT: If Mobius is paired via BT and turned on, it stays on even if music is not playing as it is waiting for BT input (like an incoming call). This will cause the battery to discharge.
Depending on your use case:
  1. If you do not intend to charge Mobius switch it off.
  2. If you want to charge your Mobius, use a wall charger or connect ti to a PC/Mac that is powered on.
  3. If you want Mobius to idle, disconnect all cables and make sure it is not paired via BT.
Edit: For a wall charger, a 5V USB charger will work, 1A is the maximum charging rate supported by Mobius.
This well-presented information would be helpful to include on the "How to charge Mobius' battery" page on the Audeze website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back