Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 17, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #631 of 5,780
Does the mic work for anyone? In Windows recording device "Audeze Mobius 3D 8Ch" mic is set to default. The level is set to 100%. I go into Audacity and it's not picking up my voice.

Edit - Solved. had it plugged in the wrong port. Mic quality isn't great. From a gaming pov the mic picks up every single breath which will become annoying if using voice chat. Moving it too close to your mouth it peaks, so you will always have to fiddle around with it until you find a position that works for you whilst maintaining decent mic audio level.

It would be nice if the Audeze Waves NX software included some mic options such as noise gate, de-esser, compression, normalization etc in the future.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #632 of 5,780
@Audeze @KMann Is it possible for you to add equal loudness compensation when then the volume control is changed, via a firmware update?

If not, is it possible to allow a custom EQ preset to be stored in the Mobius so that I can manually set an equal loudness curve for my listening level? I want it to work for all my sources.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #634 of 5,780
He's talking about getting the audio directly from the engine. Modern day VSS don't work that way. I think it was creative that had super advanced surround sound in the late 90's early 2000's but for some reason they axed it and gave us the **** we still use today. I remember reading a very fascinating (albeit sad) post about this on reddit a few years ago.

Are you talking about cmss 3d? I'm still not getting it... a pc game outputs 7.1 pcm and the mobius renders that. It's not doing stereo to 7.1 upmixing.

Sep 17, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #635 of 5,780
Hello,

I am waiting for my Mobius to arrive. I have some questions for everyone who already received their headphones:

- I found two iOS apps in the app store. what is the difference and what do I have to choose with my Mobius and what are the functions of the app?

- Is there a streaming service like spotify that streams music in 5.1 audio so I can test my Mobius with 5.1 audio?

- Are there microphones that can record sound so when I replay it with my Mobius and I will get the full 3D effect when replaying. I saw the Zoom H3-VR:

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/zoom-h3-vr-handy-recorder

I have a Binaural microphone but I think for the Mobius it is better to make Ambisonic recordigns. Not?

- what version of bluetooth is used in the Mobus? 5.0?

- what happens when I play stereo music on the Mobius and turn the 3D effect and head tracking on?

Thanks

Regards

Sep 17, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #636 of 5,780
Wups, after saying I would post it here, I managed to post it in the other Mobius thread! I'll add it here too for anyone who stopped looking at the "shipping complaints" thread :beyersmile:

------------------------------------------

OK, first impressions time. I knew what I wanted these for when I got them so I went straight for the setup I had heard was best for Overwatch.
- Wired USB mode
- 2ch, Hi-res
- Default EQ

The first thing that jumped out at me for wired use was that the bundled cables don't quite reach as far as most "normal" gaming headphones would.That being said, they did still reach, but the middle of the cable was suspended off the desk. I'm looking into buying a longer (2 metre or so) cable going forward.

I have a pretty large noggin so leading up to delivery I had some reservations about the long term comfort of these. I needn't have worried, they have an extremely good fit. The cups fit nicely around my ears and it doesn't feel like anything is touching my ears inside the cups either. As others have mentioned, on a warm day these may get a little moist around the cups but today (mild 21°C room temp) I had no problems past what I experience with other close back headphones that I've used. I just got done with a 2.5hr session playing overwatch with these, and while they are a little heavier than my old gaming headset, I found no fatigue or discomfort setting in.

As for sound impressions, holy bejeebus these perform head and shoulders better than any of my older sets of gaming headsets. I am not coming into this with much of an audiophile background at all, my two most expensive pairs of headphones were the original Sennheiser Momentum and later the Sony MDR-1000x (when I started travelling a bit for work). Furthermore, having played the drums for 9 years both with and without ear protection, I'm fairly sure the upper end of my hearing is damaged a lot more than some people on here so please bear that in mind.

Comparing the sound of these to my old gaming headset (Sennheiser PC350 Special Edition) is like comparing the performance of a speedboat to a kayak! I am pretty blown away by how much more depth the sound has! Even though I am bypassing the 3D DSP by using the binaural sound processing built into Overwatch, the sound is so much clearer/more defined that pinpointing sounds behind me is noticeably improved. Compared to the headphones listed above, these things have bass for days. I don't know how many others here play Overwatch, but things like Pharah rockets landing near you or a Wrecking Ball rolling past have so much depth and impact to them that it puts you right there in the action with them. I can't wait to try these with more games.

I haven't had a proper test with the microphone and related settings, I'll post back here when I've done some testing with a friend in Discord.

Sep 17, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #637 of 5,780
Tried all the presets and 3D Manual mode in Division which was set to Home Cinema mode and everything sounds tinny. I was afraid of this as every 3D implementation I've tried so far has the same trait. The soundstage and separation is nice though.

Sep 17, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #638 of 5,780
I suppose anybody with a home theater PC and especially PC gamers watching movies on a monitor/laptop will be able to easily benefit from the virtual surround sound though.

Yes, an HTPC is definitely the way to go to enjoy multichannel content with the Mobius. An active USB extension cable is all I needed to enjoy watching 7.1 content on my HTPC (a totally silent boot-camped Mac Mini running Win10 Pro and Kodi) which is located 12 feet away from my sitting position and connected to my 70" panel via HDMI.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #639 of 5,780
Yes, an HTPC is definitely the way to go to enjoy multichannel content with the Mobius. An active USB extension cable is all I needed to enjoy watching 7.1 content on my HTPC (a totally silent boot-camped Mac Mini running Win10 Pro and Kodi) which is located 12 feet away from my sitting position and connected to my 70" panel via HDMI.

Just out of interest, why have you gone Boot Camp with your Mini rather than just running Kodi (or Plex, of wh'ever) in OS X?

Sep 17, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #640 of 5,780
Few complaints, someone else mentioned overtime the headtracking goes offset, i believe i experienced this just now

I'm not detecting any difference in the EQ settings, is it just me or is these settings very subtle ?
with my GSX1000, the EQ settings are night and day, especially when you want no bass and just treble for improved footsteps? is that how the mobius is supposed to work?
if they're all subtle, then i request we have a manual EQ, i'd like to drop the bass entirely in competitive FPS

i'm using USB/3d mode/W10.

Sep 17, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #641 of 5,780
Finally got my headphones!

Virtual Surround: Not sure about this. It's pretty neat, but I can't seem to get the rear channels to sound like they're behind me. At best, they're very slightly behind my ears. Any suggestions for tweaking the HRTF? (Tracking is flawless, however.)

Sound: Simply amazing! I admittedly don't have anything $400+, but these are some of the best headphones I've listened to. There "is" a hiss, but it's just about as subtle as any BT headphone I've heard. Completely imperceptible during normal listening, and barely so even during silent sections.

Great work, Audeze! Looking forward to v2.

Anyone have recommendations for good 5.1 audio content?
If you have netflix app on windows, many movies are in 5.1.

Can anyone comment on how well the Bluetooth works on these as far as distance is concerned? For example from tv to couch 3 meter distance?

I'm also concerned for PC as for some reason the Bluetooth from Xbox one controller on my pc was crap I had to hold my controller under my desk to get it to work when held above my desk it was intermittent at best.

Is the Bluetooth implemted well? Is there like a little sub attachment tgat I plug into my pc with mobius or it just relies on your desktop Bluetooth? Or a special driver?
Bluetooth Antenna design is quite advanced on the Mobius. As another user mentioned, it works across our office. But bluetooth in general depends on how many other devices are in the building etc.

Hello,

I am waiting for my Mobius to arrive. I have some questions for everyone who already received their headphones:

- I found two iOS apps in the app store. what is the difference and what do I have to choose with my Mobius and what are the functions of the app?

- Is there a streaming service like spotify that streams music in 5.1 audio so I can test my Mobius with 5.1 audio?

- Are there microphones that can record sound so when I replay it with my Mobius and I will get the full 3D effect when replaying. I saw the Zoom H3-VR:

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/zoom-h3-vr-handy-recorder

I have a Binaural microphone but I think for the Mobius it is better to make Ambisonic recordigns. Not?

- what version of bluetooth is used in the Mobus? 5.0?

- what happens when I play stereo music on the Mobius and turn the 3D effect and head tracking on?

Thanks

Regards

The Apps in the app store are for our Cipher lightning cable. The Mobius application can be found here
https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...and-use-the-Audeze-HQ-application-for-Windows

IOS only supports stereo. (except in Apple TV over HDMI).

There are no streaming services we know of that does 5.1 for music. But netflix and Amazon prime support 5.1 if the platform supports it.

Mobius can convert stereo or 5.1 or 7.1 into binaural. You do not need any microphone. The Zoom H3-VR is an ambisonics recorder. But it can also output binaural or 5.1. If you are planning to create content for Ambisonics then the Mobius creator package with the plugins from Waves will be useful.

What is your goal ? Are you planning to release the music in Ambisonics ?

Mobius uses a Bluetooth 5-compliant SoC with Sony’s LDAC

If you play stereo, the mobius will do stereo emulation with headtracking. It will sound like 2 stereo speakers in a room. You can also turn off the 3D and use it like a regular headphone.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 17, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #642 of 5,780
I would definitely love additional EQ for Mobius, because we're mostly stuck with the built-in amp/DAC profiles. I miss the greater impact of my Sine + external amp combo. If I could get that back with Mobius, I would be super happy. It's not something I can get with external EQ--I've tried many different combinations already: via USB on music player, via high res bluetooth streaming from my Shanling M3s player, via bluetooth streaming from 2 phones, via 3.5mm AUX cable from all of the above. The sound profile presets that are built into the Mobius at the moment are insufficient--the ones that are music-friendly are too similar to each other and don't provide enough of an impact for certain music styles. 100mm drivers can do much better -- my Sine could provide super good impact with smaller drivers because it was possible to use an external amp with it. With Mobius, I need a setting that will force the built-in amp to provide more power to the lower end. Again, it's not that I'm a basshead, it's just that I really miss the revealing clarity and impact of the Sine, where listening to almost any music style (only thing I didn't like as much in them was more straightforward rock/grunge) from classical to electronic was an almost tactile sensory experience. It was the extra impact fullness that gave the illusion of greater immersion. With Mobius, it feels like the desired direction was to go for a more airy sound with some rumbly subbass where everything is audible but more removed, missing the energy factory that some music demands.
I like the way you explain the stronger impact of the Sine+amp. That was my take too. I also get more details out of the Sine, which I really appreciate.

Not sure how you get "...a more airy sound" from the Mobius. I got more air from the Sine. Relative to the Sine, the Mobius sound warm to me, with strong mids and bass, not airy.

I like where you're going with this: I'm also very curious to know if a customized EQ and ability to use an external amp could make the Mobius into a Sine somehow, or ever better. I wonder if the hardware capability is actually there - or not? Not sure if Audeze would answer this question...Of course this would immediately make the Sine obsolete. But since it's been discontinued I suppose that's already happened in a way.

Sep 17, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #643 of 5,780
@archagon Try out Okja on Netflix. That sounds beautiful through my Xbox One using the Netflix app and Dolby Atmos for headphones. It should sound great with the Mobius. It's one of their titles I know for sure supports 5.1 surround sound since I called them up the other day to find out why all my titles that previously gave me an option to listen in 5.1 had disappeared when I've made no changes to anything I have been using to watch their content. I'll definitely be giving it a listen to today since USPS says my Mobius will be arriving by the end of the day at the latest.

Sep 17, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #645 of 5,780
HOLY MOLY!
Just had my first listening session with these and they sound fantastic!

Nothing I have heard even comes close to these. The "hiss" that people talk about is there, but it is super quiet and I have never tried any internally amped headphone have this little hiss, if this is a problem for you I truly believe the problem is not with the headphones themself and you should probably steer clear of all headphones with internal amp/dac. Blue MoFi and Sony MDR-1000x have more audible hiss and they are not bad either. In any movie or other silent part of a track this sound is not audible, the silent parts of movies/music are extremely rarely actually silent.

I've done my tests with a lot of different music, and everything i have thrown at them has been great. I almost didn't get them back when I asked my better half to try them on for a few songs as well, and my fiance has no interest in headphones.

The Mobius is a friggin steal at the Indiegogo price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back