Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 6, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #331 of 5,780
I do not have my headphones yet, but actually had this very question and want to clarify. When plugged into my PC via usb, the headphones appear as different audio devices depending on which mode is selected? When I turn off 3d on the headphones does that essentially disconnect whatever device was there before and instead show a new device? Is there actually a way to change between 7.1 and 2 channel directly on the headphones? I guess the reason I am asking is because it sounds like from what you said it effectively disconnects the previous audio device when switching modes, so I would assume that for gaming I am going to have to ensure I have the correct mode selected on the headphones, then change the default device in windows. Or does the device essentially take over as default whenever its plugged in/changed?

I just want to make sure that I am getting ture 7.1 surround sound in my games, and I know a lot of them are very picky and set directly based on what the default audio device in windows is.

They register as three separate audio devices, yes. Each volume level is managed separately by Windows, so make sure to switch to each mode by holding down the microphone scroll wheel and reduce the volume on each input so you don't blow your ears out. You can set each one as the Default device and it will automatically select it when you switch between them, since one 'disconnects' before the other appears.

Sep 6, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #332 of 5,780
I do not have my headphones yet, but actually had this very question and want to clarify. When plugged into my PC via usb, the headphones appear as different audio devices depending on which mode is selected? When I turn off 3d on the headphones does that essentially disconnect whatever device was there before and instead show a new device? Is there actually a way to change between 7.1 and 2 channel directly on the headphones? I guess the reason I am asking is because it sounds like from what you said it effectively disconnects the previous audio device when switching modes, so I would assume that for gaming I am going to have to ensure I have the correct mode selected on the headphones, then change the default device in windows. Or does the device essentially take over as default whenever its plugged in/changed?

I just want to make sure that I am getting ture 7.1 surround sound in my games, and I know a lot of them are very picky and set directly based on what the default audio device in windows is.
In 7.1 mode the headphones can also handle 2.0, 2.1 and 5.1. You do not have to do anything or change any mode. If the application sends stereo signal in 7.1 mode, the headphones will automatically play them back in 2.0. This is similar to having 5.1 speakers and only L&R are available and the rest of the channels have no signal. To play back stereo in 7.1 mode you do not have to do anything. A good example is you are playing a game in 7.1 and then switch to spotify to listen to a song. You do not have to change any modes.
When do you want to change the modes -
2CH - Some systems like PS4 and some android mobile phones cannot handle 7.1 or 5.1 channel USB device. In these special cases you can use the 2CH mode. There is no reason to use the 2Ch mode unless you are using it PS4 or some android devices which cannot recognize Mobius in 7.1.

Hi-Res mode - If you want to disable all 3D processing and have 24 /96 Hz material that you want to play back, then use this mode. When you switch between 7.1 / 2 Ch and Hires, the mobius will appear as different devices.

3D on/off/auto does NOT change the device. You can freely switch between them seamlessly even when playing back content.

But the default mode of 7.1 should work for 95% of the use cases.

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 6, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #333 of 5,780
Is there an Android HQ App inbound anytime soon or is it not possible for the same reasons?

The only other headphones I have had that had an app with them was a pair of Turtle Beach Elite 800X gaming headset; which stunk...big surprise right?! :) But the app was actually really great when dealing with the complexity of modes and EQs and the like. I never used the controls on the headset itself to do any of these things; I used the app. It was so much more intuitive than long presses and multi presses and presses with wheel spins. The only controls on the headset I used were the volume, pairing, and mic mute.

I definitely think that the Mobius could benefit from a simplified HQ app with controls for the different modes and such, if the full functionality can't be implemented.
We plan to do the Android app after the OSX version.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 6, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #334 of 5,780
In 7.1 mode the headphones can also handle 2.0, 2.1 and 5.1. You do not have to do anything or change any mode. If the application sends stereo signal in 7.1 mode, the headphones will automatically play them back in 2.0. This is similar to having 5.1 speakers and only L&R are available and the rest of the channels have no signal. To play back stereo in 7.1 mode you do not have to do anything. A good example is you are playing a game in 7.1 and then switch to spotify to listen to a song. You do not have to change any modes.
When do you want to change the modes -
2CH - Some systems like PS4 and some android mobile phones cannot handle 7.1 or 5.1 channel USB device. In these special cases you can use the 2CH mode. There is no reason to use the 2Ch mode unless you are using it PS4 or some android devices which cannot recognize Mobius in 7.1.

Hi-Res mode - If you want to disable all 3D processing and have 24 /96 Hz material that you want to play back, then use this mode. When you switch between 7.1 / 2 Ch and Hires, the mobius will appear as different devices.

3D on/off/auto does NOT change the device. You can freely switch between them seamlessly even when playing back content.

But the default mode of 7.1 should work for 95% of the use cases.

So the 7.1 mode is independent of the 3d mode (which activates the vss and head tracking), correct? So if left in 7.1 mode, any combination of channels would be mixed down to 2 channels and played back as 2 channel audio, correct? This way, I could essentially leave it as 7.1 all the time and only disable 3d mode if I wanted regular 2 channel playback. Or alternately switch to hires mode if that was desired, in which case I would need to change my apps to output to a different audio device or change the default to the new device. Am I on the right page with this? I imagine it will all make much more sense when I actually have the headphones and can play with them myself.

Sep 6, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #335 of 5,780
Correct. In 7.1 mode, with 3D on if the device sends 8 channels of audio, Mobius will playback 8 channels. If the device only sends 2 channels (and other 6 are silent) then Mobius will play it back in the Left and Right. So if you are playing back 2 channels (eg - movie with stereo audio) you can simply leave the headphone in 7.1 with 3D on. You do not have to do anything. If you turn off the 3D, then it will simply playback stereo like what a regular headphone does. If more than 2 channels are present, they are mixed down to 2 Channels.

Sep 6, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #336 of 5,780
Correct. In 7.1 mode, with 3D on if the device sends 8 channels of audio, Mobius will playback 8 channels. If the device only sends 2 channels (and other 6 are silent) then Mobius will play it back in the Left and Right. So if you are playing back 2 channels (eg - movie with stereo audio) you can simply leave the headphone in 7.1 with 3D on. You do not have to do anything. If you turn off the 3D, then it will simply playback stereo like what a regular headphone does. If more than 2 channels are present, they are mixed down to 2 Channels.
When playing 2-channel content in 7.1 mode with 3D enabled, does it require the player to use WASAPI exclusive mode in order to position the channels as left / right instead of front-left / front-right? Because if it's not in exclusive mode then the remaining channels will be silent but still active, and thus still 7.1.

The Dolby Surround Upmixer requires an exlcusive mode 2-channel stream to upmix correctly if the HDMI device is in 7.1 mode. It's not enough that the remaining channels are simply silent.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #337 of 5,780
Just curious to know which amp you were using for the LCD-2, I get the feeling that the DAC/AMP combo might have been off because if these are just as good as the LCD-2(also not sure which version you had but I am guessing 2.2 with Fazor?) Audeze just did a disservice to themselves.

Micca OriGen+ is what my friend uses for everything. I've always found it to be fine. It's a common DAC for PC users and gamers. I'll add that to my impressions post.

Sep 6, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #338 of 5,780
Micca OriGen+ is what my friend uses for everything. I've always found it to be fine. It's a common DAC for PC users and gamers. I'll add that to my impressions post.

This makes more sense. The LCD-2 need some power, you would want at least 1 wattpc. I could easily see the Mobius with its own amplification beating out a no amp LCD-2, the Audeze LCD-XC on paper should sound great right out of a low power DAC but even those are a night and day difference when fed some power.

Sep 6, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #339 of 5,780

I honestly thought you were crazy with the way you described your experience with the LCD-2 in your original impressions post. The way you described your experience with the LCD-2 sounded so off from the norm, I have never seen anyone complain about the LCD-2's highs before, it sounded really off. Now it makes total sense, I have never tried them with no amp before but I imagine they would sound horrible. LCD-2's needs a lot of power, I use a balanced 8w at 32ohm amp for them.

Your friend needs to try them with a proper amp before getting rid of them because they are a lot better sounding than Mobius, if using a proper setup. However, that is Mobius's advantage, that its all built-in with the DAC and 1w amp on-board, so you don't have to worry about all the other dedicated components you need for the LCD-2.

Also, the LCD's new suspension headband solves most of the comfort issues, although I had to shorten the strap by 8mm on each side so it would work right for me.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #340 of 5,780
This makes more sense. The LCD-2 need some power, you would want at least 1 wattpc. I could easily see the Mobius with its own amplification beating out a no amp LCD-2, the Audeze LCD-XC on paper should sound great right out of a low power DAC but even those are a night and day difference when fed some power.

Your friend needs to try them with a proper amp before getting rid of them because they are a lot better sounding than Mobius, if using a proper setup. However, that is Mobius's advantage, that its all built-in with the DAC and 1w amp on-board, so you don't have to worry about all the other dedicated components you need for the LCD-2.

Exactly. The Mobius just works, which is great for filthy casuals like myself. The LCD-2 is already more expensive than I want to pay for any headphone, so having to buy a higher-end AMP for them or replace the head strap for comfort is not appealing. For audiophiles, all of that makes much more sense because you buy one or two nice amps and then also buy as many headphones as you want to plug into them.

The use case is just different. I'm confident about my original impressions. The Mobius meets or beats the LCD-2 when the LCD-2 is on a lower power AMP. Not many headphones can say even that much.

Sep 6, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #342 of 5,780
How many Bluetooth connections does the Mobius support? I have 2 laptops and smartphone .

It can only support one connection at a time. Originally, they had planned to allow two devices simultaneously but they had problems with the Chipset or something and had to change it to only one.

Here is the link to full Bluetooth info:

https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003820891

Also, Mobius allows a Bluetooth connection while you are using USB or AUX, so you can answer your phone over Bluetooth while using them. Here is the link talking about that:

https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...us-connection-to-Bluetooth-and-another-source

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #343 of 5,780

The LCD2C specs are: 101dB/1mw (at Drum Reference Point)

Meaning all it takes is 1mw to reach 101dB to your ear (ear damage), they are not hard to drive and a Micca Origin 2 will be plenty.

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #344 of 5,780
Just got mine (a couple of hours ago by the time I completed this post). Miscellaneous thoughts.

White noise is noticeable when nothing is playing (and during "silent parts" in media), but not a giant problem for me. Noticeably louder than this would have been something to complain about, though, so it is good that Audeze fixed it.

I was unable to switch source mode via double clicking the 3D button, but I had to unplug the USB cable and pair Bluetooth, and now I can switch. Bluetooth sounds great (dunno if I could tell a difference between it and wired), but the latency is extremely apparent.

Head tracking is solid and seems lagless, but for 2CH sources the speakers seem to be too close together. At maybe around 45 degrees of turning my head, a good 80%+ of the sound is in the ear turned towards the speakers (there are room reverberations, etc., of course). And to my ears, upping the room ambience doesn't make the speakers sound further apart, but it does seem to increase room size.

I've noticed that it sounds clearer to me in 2CH mode than in 7.1CH mode, whether or not tracking is on. At first I thought it was Bluetooth that sounded better than USB (which is obviously surprising), but I've switched to 2CH mode in USB mode, and now it sounds the same as it does in Bluetooth mode.

And it is even clearer in 2CH Hires mode. I strongly prefer it to my LCD-2 pre-fazor, which is an easy thing to do (I even prefer my Koss KSC-75 to my LCD-2, since I hate it when headphones have significantly lowered treble [I don't bother/won't bother with selling any of my headphones]), but the Mobius does sound great as a traditional headphone. Might become my go-to.

Gaming sounds great in 7.1 so far! Need to test this more - I do play PC games quite a bit, but I've been mostly listening to music and typing this post since getting these headphones, haha.

One bug I noticed is that the Footsteps, Ballistics, Racing, and RPG sound profiles are all off-center to the left (the Flat, Default, and Music sound profiles are correctly centered). This happens regardless if head tracking is on or off.

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #345 of 5,780
The LCD2C specs are: 101dB/1mw (at Drum Reference Point)

Meaning all it takes is 1mw to reach 101dB to your ear (ear damage), they are not hard to drive and a Micca Origin 2 will be plenty.

I thought planar magnetic were easier to drive in general, so I didn't think the Micca Origin would have any issues. I guess its debatable in some circles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back