Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Mar 3, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #2,956 of 5,780
The Mobius trounces all over the HW700DS in terms of fidelity, theyre very good sounding and easily customizable to a prefered sound signature(unless you prefer ringing/resonance or distortion). At the moment they haven't finalized virtualization with head tracking off, but it's better with it on unless you're walking around. Note surround sound is only available through a pc, virtualization is available with anything, I use them exclusively connected to my phone via bluetooth for stereo music with the virtualization.

Would you say it has a larger soundstage?

My only qualms with having it connected to the PC would be that when watching movies I'm about 4 meters away, so I'd need a 5m cable at least.

Edit: also can you customise your own EQ's or are you limited to profiles?

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #2,957 of 5,780
Would you say it has a larger soundstage?

My only qualms with having it connected to the PC would be that when watching movies I'm about 4 meters away, so I'd need a 5m cable at least.

Yup. While the HW700DS gives you surround, the Mobius gets it out of your head, and using deeper angled pads pushes it out further. To get a large virtual room you need measured room impulse responses, e.g. Smyth Realiser or Out of Your Head, and with ooyh youd need headphones, a dac/amp, and manual equalizing.
20181008_154121.jpg 20181008_154212.jpg 20181008_154221.jpg 20181008_155358.jpg 20181008_155415.jpg 20181008_155418.jpg

At that distance use an active usb cable

Mar 3, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #2,958 of 5,780
Yup. While the HW700DS gives you surround, the Mobius gets it out of your head, and using deeper angled pads pushes it out further. To get a large virtual room you need measured room impulse responses, e.g. Smyth Realiser or Out of Your Head, and with ooyh youd need headphones, a dac/amp, and manual equalizing.

At that distance use an active usb cable
Nice, I didn't realise usb3 had a 3m limit until just now (without active)

So are you saying that the out of your head and Smyth realiser are a step up from the mobius, or is it about the same level?

Is that pad mod to get the soundstage even wider?

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #2,959 of 5,780
Nice, I didn't realise usb3 had a 3m limit until just now (without active)

So are you saying that the out of your head and Smyth realiser are a step up from the mobius, or is it about the same level?

Is that pad mod to get the soundstage even wider?
A step up, yes. But the Realiser is expensive, and OOYH is quite involved. The Mobius as an all in one solution that doubles as bluetooth headphones is a fantastic option.

Yes, the deeper angled pads improve imaging and soundstaging, and for my preferences treble performance.

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #2,960 of 5,780
A step up, yes. But the Realiser is expensive, and OOYH is quite involved. The Mobius as an all in one solution that doubles as bluetooth headphones is a fantastic option.

Yes, the deeper angled pads improve imaging and soundstaging, and for my preferences treble performance.

I've read that some find these phones treble heavy, does your mod boost this even more or lessen the treble or is it for another aspect?

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #2,961 of 5,780
I've read that some find these phones treble heavy, does your mod boost this even more or lessen the treble or is it for another aspect?
Yes, they can be treble heavy, but theres several built in presets which reduce the treble balance, and theyre easily eqd on both a pc or phone. For my taste I use the music preset and add
Screenshot_20190303-013650_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg

The pad change smooths the treble response a bit, reducing a piercing quality slightly and maybe some ringing or resonance.

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #2,962 of 5,780
Yes, they can be treble heavy, but theres several built in presets which reduce the treble balance, and theyre easily eqd on both a pc or phone. For my taste I use the music preset and add

The pad change smooths the treble response a bit, reducing a piercing quality slightly and maybe some ringing or resonance.
That looks promising, is that EQ program from Audeze?

What materials did you use?

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #2,963 of 5,780
That looks promising, is that EQ program from Audeze?

What materials did you use?

No, that's the Tonebooster parametric eq in USB Audio Player Pro on Android, and I use equalizer apo on the pc

The pads are the Brainwavz Angled Pleather. The fabric is craft felt, and the plastic piece is the bottom of a cd jewel case.

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #2,964 of 5,780
Mar 4, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #2,965 of 5,780
What's wrong with the Audeze HQ application download?

I've tried downloading with MS Edge, IE, Chrome, Firefox, Opera and all I get is the download window to select "AudezeHQ_Installer_106.zip" and Submit button. After pressing the Submit button nothing happens.

Can somebody mirror the file, please?

EDIT: Argh, the darned email field! Got it!

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #2,967 of 5,780
Mar 5, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #2,969 of 5,780
Heh, my pair lasted for a day.

Today I try them again, and they power on (USB), but Windows doesn't recognize them at all (as any device).. As if they are unplugged. Re-plugging at both headphone end and/or computer end or changing usb-cable does nothing.

I feel like I'm beta testing for Audeze.
Sigh.

Mar 5, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #2,970 of 5,780
Absolutely love these headphones. I have a HE500 run through a Lyr, and it never gets the daylight these days. Comparable sound, less clunky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back