Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Jan 9, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #2,686 of 5,780
Quick question for Audeze would an EQ profile offering a larger soundstage in stereo mode be possible? Obviously they are a closed set so there is only so much you can do but a bit more head space when listening to concerts and other live performances would be nice.
You listen with 3-D off and maybe don't like the effect?
With 3-D on Mobius easily beats the Sennheiser HD800, the king of soundstage IMO.
For best results it's important to set your head dimensions in the AUDEZE HQ app and choose an appropriate amount of room ambience (I reduced it to 22.3 to avoid audible extra reverb).

Jan 9, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #2,687 of 5,780
Has anyone found that the memory foam on their hand band doesn't return to it's original form? Mine has a permanent indent and it looks terrible now after many hours of use.
NsBbSlSs.jpg

Vo1n3Ygs.jpg
Mine is hanging on it's original Mobius Stand most of the time and looks like new.
I always center it on the stand, and this restpoint feels a tiny bit softer now, a welcome effect as it makes Mobius more comfortable on the head.

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #2,688 of 5,780
Has anyone found that the memory foam on their hand band doesn't return to it's original form? Mine has a permanent indent and it looks terrible now after many hours of use.
NsBbSlSs.jpg
Nope mine still look brand new. Normally used for extended gaming sessions most nights but also just random listening.
Hopefully Audeze will supply replacements.

Jan 10, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #2,689 of 5,780
So is the only difference between the announced HyperX Cloud Orbit S and the Mobius just bluetooth connectivity? I was looking at the mobius only to use wired with my PC, so if I can save $70 with the HyperX, I'd do it.

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #2,690 of 5,780
So is the only difference between the announced HyperX Cloud Orbit S and the Mobius just bluetooth connectivity? I was looking at the mobius only to use wired with my PC, so if I can save $70 with the HyperX, I'd do it.

Software is also different. With Hyper x I'm guessing they are going to have their own software GUI and also the interface in the Mobius itself is different, with mobius having different presets. Also new features coming to. The Mobius such as macro binding for head movement might not be in the cloud orbit.

Is all that worth 70usd ? I don't know.

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #2,691 of 5,780
Software is also different. With Hyper x I'm guessing they are going to have their own software GUI and also the interface in the Mobius itself is different, with mobius having different presets. Also new features coming to. The Mobius such as macro binding for head movement might not be in the cloud orbit.

Is all that worth 70usd ? I don't know.

You lose Bluetooth and LDAC, you're now locked into wired only. Having my shanling m0 supporting LDAC, I can say, I love the quality it gets from being that portable. I'm still afraid to take my headset out of the house, but i got IEMs for that anyways.

The big thing was the interview later on in a different site, it will be default tuned for SMILE, instead of Mobius' neutral tuning. More bass, more treble. We still will get the EQ abilities in the future, so I don't think anything will be beyond reach on either headset, but @Audeze would be the guys to answer that. I think they'll keep everything else about the line the same, what is GOOD for us is this is a major gaming headset company adopting this tech; which means continued support for the Mobius as a core product line for the future. We have less to worry about far as future updates or abandoned product line. Not saying it would happen with Audeze, just that's how other gaming headset companies treat their lines as they get older. I'm extremely happy for this news, and still continue to be happy with my purchase. My headset gets 12-18 hours of use a day since it has arrived.

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #2,692 of 5,780
You lose Bluetooth and LDAC, you're now locked into wired only. Having my shanling m0 supporting LDAC, I can say, I love the quality it gets from being that portable. I'm still afraid to take my headset out of the house, but i got IEMs for that anyways.

The big thing was the interview later on in a different site, it will be default tuned for SMILE, instead of Mobius' neutral tuning. More bass, more treble. We still will get the EQ abilities in the future, so I don't think anything will be beyond reach on either headset, but @Audeze would be the guys to answer that. I think they'll keep everything else about the line the same, what is GOOD for us is this is a major gaming headset company adopting this tech; which means continued support for the Mobius as a core product line for the future. We have less to worry about far as future updates or abandoned product line. Not saying it would happen with Audeze, just that's how other gaming headset companies treat their lines as they get older. I'm extremely happy for this news, and still continue to be happy with my purchase. My headset gets 12-18 hours of use a day since it has arrived.
Yep. Relatively lower profit margin but much much more higher sales volume .

Jan 11, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #2,693 of 5,780
Anyone that has the 11.16 beta firmware, can you confirm if the 3d on without head tracking is working? I just updated the firmware and it doesn't seem to be there even though the patch notes states the option should be there. Just wondering if it is a user error on installing the firmware

* Nevermind, support confirmed the function is not stable enough to include it at this time*

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #2,694 of 5,780
Anyone that has the 11.16 beta firmware, can you confirm if the 3d on without head tracking is working? I just updated the firmware and it doesn't seem to be there even though the patch notes states the option should be there. Just wondering if it is a user error on installing the firmware

* Nevermind, support confirmed the function is not stable enough to include it at this time*
If 11.16 means the 2nd public beta firmware from 1.Nov.2018 (there's no version number visible on the files exept the date: _20180111):

yes, it works.

In followed the described update process carefully and literally, through ALL it's steps.
In the first place "3-D On" and "Warm EQ" did not work here too.

They work now after some Mobius power cycles and a head dimensions reset in the AUDEZE HQ app - in fact I don't know which one of the two did the trick.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #2,695 of 5,780
How
If 11.16 means the 2nd public beta firmware from 1.Nov.2018 (there's no version number visible on the files exept the date: _20180111):

yes, it works.

In followed the described update process carefully and literally, through ALL it's steps.
In the first place "3-D On" and "Warm EQ" did not work here too.

They do now after some Mobius power cycles and a head dimensions reset in the AUDEZE HQ app - in fact I don't know which one of the two did the trick.

How to enable 3d without head tracking for 1116 firmware please?

Jan 12, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #2,696 of 5,780
How to enable 3d without head tracking for 1116 firmware please?
Cycle though the 3-D modes:
Long-Press (3s) the 3-D button several times until the Gypsy Muse says "3-D on".

Here is the public betas firmware's version history, make sure you got the right one (I don't see the number 1176 anywhere):
-----------------------------

Release notes
2018.11.01:
1. Improves mic gain and makes sure mic gain range is set correctly.
2. Improves noise gate.
3. Adds ‘3D on’ mode that disables head-tracking but allows emulation.
4. Mobius Channel setting (2ch/8ch/Hi-Res), 3D mode (on/off/auto/manual) and EQ
presets are remembered on power cycle
5. Other minor bug fixes

2018.09.26:
1. Adds a ‘Warm’ presets that adds a warm tilt. Boosts the bass and brings the treble down
a little.
2018.09.10:
2. Mic: Increases Mic gain to compensate for low Mic volume while using Win 10 and Win 8
Microsoft USB audio drivers.
3. Persistence mode: Remembers the last EQ preset on power cycle.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #2,697 of 5,780
Cycle though the 3-D modes:
Long-Press (3s) the 3-D button several times until the Gypsy Muse says "3-D on".

Here is the public betas firmware's version history, make sure you got the right one (I don't see the number 1176 anywhere):
-----------------------------

Release notes
2018.11.01:
1. Improves mic gain and makes sure mic gain range is set correctly.
2. Improves noise gate.
3. Adds ‘3D on’ mode that disables head-tracking but allows emulation.
4. Mobius Channel setting (2ch/8ch/Hi-Res), 3D mode (on/off/auto/manual) and EQ
presets are remembered on power cycle
5. Other minor bug fixes

2018.09.26:
1. Adds a ‘Warm’ presets that adds a warm tilt. Boosts the bass and brings the treble down
a little.
2018.09.10:
2. Mic: Increases Mic gain to compensate for low Mic volume while using Win 10 and Win 8
Microsoft USB audio drivers.
3. Persistence mode: Remembers the last EQ preset on power cycle.
3d auto is with headtracking

3d on is without headtracking?

Jan 12, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #2,699 of 5,780
3d auto is with headtracking

3d on is without headtracking?
Yes, "3-D On" uses a static HRTF, without headtracking.
I guess an improved "3-D Auto" that follows coarse head movements better will make this largely obsolete.

The 3-D effect is vastly improved by the headtracking, without headtracking the HRTF is more just a strange coloration of the sound.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #2,700 of 5,780
Not sure if anyone else had this problem ( or if it is even Mobius related ) but...

Last windows update my volume decreased dramatically. I used to listen at 12-24 ( Windows Master Volume ), now I'm at 70 to 100.

Can't use some fixes like a driver rollback ( option is greyed out ).

Anyone has an idea?

Unrelated question: How would one install new firmware for the Mobius? I don't see an 'update' option within the app.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back