Audeze MM-100
Jan 13, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #1,351 of 1,466
I have got both the HD650 and the MM100s and am going to back up what @Someguy420 said with a couple of slight caveats. Let's address the 650/MM100 comparison. The Audezes are a big step up from the HD650s in so many aspects. While soundstage might be similar in width between both, it's the layering in their depth that can be heard with the 100s. I'd describe the soundstage as natural as opposed to artificially wide which you get in a number of headphones. This suits someone like me who goes to concerts because it sounds similar to what I would hear in a venue. Of course, no headphone is really going to be able to reproduce exactly what you would hear because there are no wide reflective surfaces for the sound. You need Speakers for that.

As regards the lower end, these have more heft and go lower than the HFM XS (I have the Anandas which are very similar) and you can feel the weight of the bass. That said, these are not for bassheads. The 650s tend to have a roll off in the upper bass (to cater for their lovely midrange) which the MM10s do not. That said, a slight EQ boost in the lower frequencies will make them go much lower but I prefer to leave them as they are with the exception of organ music.

These cans have that airiness common to nearly all planars but with a difference that I can only describe as holographic (maybe not a good choice of word). It truly is an amazing experience with certain tracks, especially acoustic and chamber but it exists with all music. The Senns do not have anything like this quality and need really good amplification to make them begin to shine. The treble on the 650s is toned down whereas this is not the case for the Audeze's. That said, they are not shouty or peaky and unless you are very sensitive to treble this won't affect you.

Where the two sets of cans do shine is in the midrange which, for the 100s, is to be expected for cans that are designed for studio monitoring. The midrange brings the vocals a bit more forward and on some tracks (Sweet Jane - Cowboy Junkies) can be very intimate. I really like the natural way it reproduces those two important aspects of the human voice - tone and timbre. Finally, the Sennheisers, despite whatever amplification you throw at them, always sound a bit veiled - like the music is coming through cloth. On the other hand, the MM100s are wonderfully transparent.

To answer your original query "these would be more of a sidegrade to the 650/6xx and something like the Focal Clear?" the answer is no. These are a significant step up from the Sennheisers! I've not heard the Focal Clear but at four time the price of the Audezes , if they are being used as a comparison then surely the MM100s have got to be good. For me these are now my go to headphones for virtually everything.

NB: There is a lot more I could say about the 100s but hopefully what I've written will begin to answer some of your questions. However, if possible, do what PH4425 suggested and go and audition them.

Jan 14, 2024 at 6:14 AM Post #1,352 of 1,466
Thanks for this comparison, holden. Very informative and one of the most interesting posts on this thread IMO - along with your review on December 24.

"NB: There is a lot more I could say about the 100s but hopefully what I've written will begin to answer some of your questions. However, if possible, do what PH4425 suggested and go and audition them."

Certainly would do, but that's still not possible over here. Our local importer has no delivery date into Norway - 'not in stock (40 days)' is what we've gotten now since October. Thomann in Germany has this on their website: 'Available in several months'. Who knows when they'll be available for testing and evaluation here. So please keep us posted on your findings as you dig deeper into their capabilities in different applications.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #1,354 of 1,466
Amazon has some sellers with stock, I just ordered one! Looking forward to seeing how they compare to my Sundara

Jan 15, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #1,355 of 1,466
I have got both the HD650 and the MM100s and am going to back up what @Someguy420 said with a couple of slight caveats. Let's address the 650/MM100 comparison. The Audezes are a big step up from the HD650s in so many aspects. While soundstage might be similar in width between both, it's the layering in their depth that can be heard with the 100s. I'd describe the soundstage as natural as opposed to artificially wide which you get in a number of headphones. This suits someone like me who goes to concerts because it sounds similar to what I would hear in a venue. Of course, no headphone is really going to be able to reproduce exactly what you would hear because there are no wide reflective surfaces for the sound. You need Speakers for that.

As regards the lower end, these have more heft and go lower than the HFM XS (I have the Anandas which are very similar) and you can feel the weight of the bass. That said, these are not for bassheads. The 650s tend to have a roll off in the upper bass (to cater for their lovely midrange) which the MM10s do not. That said, a slight EQ boost in the lower frequencies will make them go much lower but I prefer to leave them as they are with the exception of organ music.

These cans have that airiness common to nearly all planars but with a difference that I can only describe as holographic (maybe not a good choice of word). It truly is an amazing experience with certain tracks, especially acoustic and chamber but it exists with all music. The Senns do not have anything like this quality and need really good amplification to make them begin to shine. The treble on the 650s is toned down whereas this is not the case for the Audeze's. That said, they are not shouty or peaky and unless you are very sensitive to treble this won't affect you.

Where the two sets of cans do shine is in the midrange which, for the 100s, is to be expected for cans that are designed for studio monitoring. The midrange brings the vocals a bit more forward and on some tracks (Sweet Jane - Cowboy Junkies) can be very intimate. I really like the natural way it reproduces those two important aspects of the human voice - tone and timbre. Finally, the Sennheisers, despite whatever amplification you throw at them, always sound a bit veiled - like the music is coming through cloth. On the other hand, the MM100s are wonderfully transparent.

To answer your original query "these would be more of a sidegrade to the 650/6xx and something like the Focal Clear?" the answer is no. These are a significant step up from the Sennheisers! I've not heard the Focal Clear but at four time the price of the Audezes , if they are being used as a comparison then surely the MM100s have got to be good. For me these are now my go to headphones for virtually everything.

NB: There is a lot more I could say about the 100s but hopefully what I've written will begin to answer some of your questions. However, if possible, do what PH4425 suggested and go and audition them.
Bravo!

Jan 15, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #1,356 of 1,466

Excellent work, thank you for sharing your experience and coverage of the "100". Now, as usual, I'm having issues on which planar to buy (This 100, SJY Moonlight, Sash Tres 16,45,se).... Cheers

Jan 15, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #1,357 of 1,466
Amazon has some sellers with stock, I just ordered one! Looking forward to seeing how they compare to my Sundara
I checked it out. They have 2 left (2:30pm mst). But, They are sold and shipped by One-Call. Not sure if they are an authorized seller. Darn 😯

Jan 15, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #1,358 of 1,466
I checked it out. They have 2 left (2:30pm mst). But, They are sold and shipped by One-Call. Not sure if they are an authorized seller. Darn 😯
I see it for sale from Gramophone as well, just longer ship time of Jan 25-27. Gramophone is legit though.

Jan 16, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #1,359 of 1,466
Mine is from “Listen Up” via Amazon and they have already proven to be great customer service wise! Replied quickly and it shipped same day

Jan 16, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #1,360 of 1,466
Finally grabbed a set from Audio46, which was actually in stock. Wasn't sure how I was feeling about all the news of messy wiring in the MM-100, but I had loyalty points, so...

Jan 17, 2024 at 2:13 AM Post #1,362 of 1,466
so is the MM500 incredible if this $399 MM100 is getting so many rave reviews?
mm500 definitely is incredible. I would say that they are better than basically every recording studio where I have been. Although, minus stereo imaging and feel compared to studio monitors. No headphones do that though, even with plugins in DAW like CanOpener, it helps, but still not the same. Exceptional tonality, clarity, separation (layering) etc. make them very good for mixing. Comparing here 1800€ headphones to studios costing 10s of thousands. What a time to be alive.

Jan 19, 2024 at 5:14 AM Post #1,364 of 1,466
Got them yesterday (Available in Poland). Few words: Have had LCD-X 2021, Aeon 2 Noire in recent weeks and MM-100 is the one that impressed me the most. Sound is a little bit scaled down compared to LCD-X but not as much as LCD-1. Built quality seems top-notch. Despite being not available for a long time, I think there has been said a lot about sound signature and there are no surprises here. A little forward sounding but very pleasant to listen, with a great detail in the upper midrange, impressive soundstage. Aeon 2 Noire had more information (almost too much for my taste) in the upper highs, but I prefer MM-100 in that regard.
In terms of comfort: I have been listening to them for around 2-3h, and I can definitely feel a little bit headband pressure. But manageable, so I’ll keep them for sure.

IMG_7093.jpeg

Jan 19, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #1,365 of 1,466
Got them yesterday (Available in Poland). Few words: Have had LCD-X 2021, Aeon 2 Noire in recent weeks and MM-100 is the one that impressed me the most. Sound is a little bit scaled down compared to LCD-X but not as much as LCD-1. Built quality seems top-notch. Despite being not available for a long time, I think there has been said a lot about sound signature and there are no surprises here. A little forward sounding but very pleasant to listen, with a great detail in the upper midrange, impressive soundstage. Aeon 2 Noire had more information (almost too much for my taste) in the upper highs, but I prefer MM-100 in that regard.
In terms of comfort: I have been listening to them for around 2-3h, and I can definitely feel a little bit headband pressure. But manageable, so I’ll keep them for sure.

IMG_7093.jpeg
Thanks for the impressions! Mine arrive today and I’ve been missing my LCD X since I sold a while back so if they are even close im excited!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back