Audeze MM-100
Sep 5, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #841 of 1,447
When two rights don't make it right.. or or does it? :thinking: My interest is slowly diminishing with this MM-100. Maybe things will change for the better when everything is settled and all streamlined with Sony.
Same. I was stoked for this headphone. But it's obvious Audeze didn't have its act together with production lines, parts sourcing, etc., and now we're already getting reports of shoddy quality control before most people even have received their units.

No question Audeze rushed this product to market because it shipped so much later than promised. It's looking more and more obvious that corners were cut.

I'll keep my eye on reviews and impressions for the sonic signature, but I'll probably wait until wrinkles are ironed on a second production run before even thinking of buying these.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #842 of 1,447
If I remember correctly, I think that diagram for the T60RP is misleading. You may want to check the T60RP thread here, because I believe someone tested with a multimeter and found it was L+, R+, L-, R-, just like the MM-100 configuration. I only owned the T60RP briefly before returning it, so I can't confirm that now.
thank you for your prompt response.

indeed just now I found the multimeter confirmation post in the same thread I found that T60RP wiring diagram (which I assumed was from Fostex themselves). look like I didn't do enough reading 😓.

for those interested. confirmation that T60RP is indeed internally wired the same as MM-100 (click expand on quote for previous context). https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fostex-t60rp.857690/post-14963457

thank you I will edit my initial post now so as to not get people confused.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #843 of 1,447
What they say:

"Audeze is a U.S.-based award-winning premium technology company designing and building some of the world’s most advanced audio solutions."

What we see:

A company that has difficulty soldering 4 wires correctly :D

Sep 5, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #844 of 1,447
What they say:

"Audeze is a U.S.-based award-winning premium technology company designing and building some of the world’s most advanced audio solutions."

What we see:

A company that has difficulty soldering 4 wires correctly :D

Something everyone should keep in mind: Mergers & Acquisitions are disruptive - not just the day they're announced, but for months and months beforehand.

Senior leadership (on both sides - acquirer and acquired) is incredibly distracted, spending close to 100% of their time on the details of the deal, and close to 0% of their time on actual operations.

Even further down the ranks, people are being pulled away from their real jobs with requests to provide random, esoteric bits of information and reports, and they usually have no idea why it's all happening (deal secrecy and all that) but they definitely know something is "off".

So yeah, if the MM-100 launch was botched, there's only a few dozen reasons why that might have happened.

Sep 5, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #845 of 1,447
Something everyone should keep in mind: Mergers & Acquisitions are disruptive - not just the day they're announced, but for months and months beforehand.

Senior leadership (on both sides - acquirer and acquired) is incredibly distracted, spending close to 100% of their time on the details of the deal, and close to 0% of their time on actual operations.

Even further down the ranks, people are being pulled away from their real jobs with requests to provide random, esoteric bits of information and reports, and they usually have no idea why it's all happening (deal secrecy and all that) but they definitely know something is "off".

So yeah, if the MM-100 launch was botched, there's only a few dozen reasons why that might have happened.
This is superb point. Well said.

Sep 5, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #846 of 1,447
In terms of having cable issues with the MM-100:

Due to the unique nature of the wiring of the MM-100, it is very important that the cable is seated all the way in the headphones. When properly inserted, you will hear a click and the left and right channels will play appropriately.

If the cable is not seated all the way in the headphones, the left and right channel may swap sides. This is due to the way the headphones are wired (to accept either a cable input on the right OR left side).

Our techs individually test each side of each headphone, so if there was a phase, channel, or balance inconsistency, it would be noticed and reworked during our production process.

If you're still experiencing a problem, you can contact us at support@audeze.com

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 5, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #847 of 1,447

Due to the unique nature of the wiring of the MM-100, it is very important that the cable is seated all the way in the headphones. When properly inserted, you will hear a click and the left and right channels will play appropriately.

If the cable is not seated all the way in the headphones, the left and right channel may swap sides. This is due to the way the headphones are wired (to accept either a cable input on the right OR left side).

Our techs individually test each side of each headphone, so if there was a phase, channel, or balance inconsistency, it would be noticed and reworked during our production process.

If you're still experiencing a problem, you can contact us at support@audeze.com
I just verified that the plug was completely seated. Unfortunately, I am still experiencing the swapped audio channels when plugged into the left cup. Out of curiosity, I slightly pulled the plug out of the left cup to see if I could correct the audio channels. Unfortunately the best I could get was hearing left channel audio out of both cups.

Sep 5, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #848 of 1,447
I just verified that the plug was completely seated. Unfortunately, I am still experiencing the swapped audio channels when plugged into the left cup. Out of curiosity, I slightly pulled the plug out of the left cup to see if I could correct the audio channels. Unfortunately the best I could get was hearing left channel audio out of both cups.
Please check your private messages, so we can assist you directly.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 5, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #849 of 1,447

Aw, c'mon, guys -- like we didn't think of that? 😂

LOL.... yes, it is SECURELY plugged in all the way and you can HEAR A CLICK and NO, it does NOT work correctly when plugged into the left cup -- the channels are reversed, and it ONLY works correctly with channels L/R correctly when the same stock cable is plugged into the right ear cup.

I don't understand this response -- don't you think it would be obvious that we would plug them in the SAME WAY on both cups when we were testing this?

And that there are two of us with this issue in this little thread on this one forum alone tells me something happened that you're not aware of or not admitting to, and that gives me pause.

It is clear that at least two headphones were NOT properly checked before shipping with the included stock cable to ensure it works as designed into either cup correctly, and I think the odds are very low that it's just two units with this problem.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #850 of 1,447

I had the same problem. Loosening the plug on the left cup would correct both channels.

Sep 5, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #851 of 1,447
Just got mine in. Closest headphone that popped up in my mind when listening to it was the Sundara. Just like the Sundara, to r

I had the same problem. Loosening the plug on the left cup would correct both channels.
Unfortunately, that did not work for @Kwyjibo or for me -- loosening the plug on the left side just did other weird things, but no amount of fiddling with insertion depth fixed the L/R issue when the cable is used in the left ear cup.

They clearly did not test some units correctly before shipping and some slipped through with a problem with the internal wiring, leaving the left cup socket not usable.

Sep 5, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #852 of 1,447
Unfortunately, that did not work for @Kwyjibo or for me -- loosening the plug on the left side just did other weird things, but no amount of fiddling with insertion depth fixed the L/R issue when the cable is used in the left ear cup.

They clearly did not test some units correctly before shipping and some slipped through with a problem with the internal wiring, leaving the left cup socket not usable.

I didn't have any problems with the cable that shipped, could play in either left or right cup. I've been using hart audio interconnect cables primarily. I just plugged in a different set of cables and now, with this one, doesn't matter which side is plugged in or if I pull half way out or pull completely out, I can only hear audio over the left cup.

Sep 5, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #853 of 1,447
I didn't have any problems with the cable that shipped, could play in either left or right cup. I've been using hart audio interconnect cables primarily. I just plugged in a different set of cables and now, with this one, doesn't matter which side is plugged in or if I pull half way out or pull completely out, I can only hear audio over the left cup.
Yeah, curious -- I know the only review I've seen on YouTube, ZadiusTech, says he also did not have any issue with plugging into either cup -- but since there are two confirmed users just on here alone who have the problem, I wonder if they have a whole batch that was done incorrectly and their QC simply failed to check it correctly -- after all, it sounds good plugged into either end, in fact, when I first got them, I listened for the first hour or so with the channels reversed and didn't realize it until I did a channel test 😂 .... it's not as if they sounded out of phase or anything, it just inverts the channels when plugged into the left.

Since I discovered that, I've been using it plugged only into the right ear cup since it delivers the channels correctly on my unit ONLY when plugged into the right ear cup. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I suspect the QC check didn't do a channel test ("left channel" -> "right channel") but simply plugged the cable into each side and made sure it sounded "correct" (not out of phase, stereo) -- because clearly they failed to do a real channel test.

Sep 5, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #854 of 1,447
Yeah, curious -- I know the only review I've seen on YouTube, ZadiusTech, says he also did not have any issue with plugging into either cup -- but since there are two confirmed users just on here alone who have the problem, I wonder if they have a whole batch that was done incorrectly and their QC simply failed to check it correctly -- after all, it sounds good plugged into either end, in fact, when I first got them, I listened for the first hour or so with the channels reversed and didn't realize it until I did a channel test 😂 .... it's not as if they sounded out of phase or anything, it just inverts the channels when plugged into the left.

Since I discovered that, I've been using it plugged only into the right ear cup since it delivers the channels correctly on my unit ONLY when plugged into the right ear cup. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I suspect the QC check didn't do a channel test ("left channel" -> "right channel") but simply plugged the cable into each side and made sure it sounded "correct" (not out of phase, stereo) -- because clearly they failed to do a real channel test.
- Update:

I suppose time will tell how many more experience this. I just used the same cable again. Obviously plugged in ALL the way until I got the click Support was talking about (this is a no brainer but sometimes incidents where a plug is not fully seated happens).

No audio in the right cup, only the left. I unplug the left cup, still playing audio in the left cup just fine with the right cup fully plugged in. I pulled the right cup plug out slightly, so it's not FULLY plugged in but mostly secure, I get audio out of the right cup now. I plug the left cup plug back in, get the click indicating I am fully seated, audio from the right cup is now gone. I unseat the left cup slightly and both are working just fine now. I can replicate this each time now reliably. So can't be fully seated into the headphone for this to work.

Sep 5, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #855 of 1,447
- Update:

I suppose time will tell how many more experience this. I just used the same cable again. Obviously plugged in ALL the way until I got the click Support was talking about (this is a no brainer but sometimes incidents where a plug is not fully seated happens).

No audio in the right cup, only the left. I unplug the left cup, still playing audio in the left cup just fine with the right cup fully plugged in. I pulled the right cup plug out slightly, so it's not FULLY plugged in but mostly secure, I get audio out of the right cup now. I plug the left cup plug back in, get the click indicating I am fully seated, audio from the right cup is now gone. I unseat the left cup slightly and both are working just fine now. I can replicate this each time now reliably. So can't be fully seated into the headphone for this to work.
Wait, are you using a dual-sided cable? I've not even bothered to test that. I think I assumed it would work (like it does for HiFIMAN HE-R9) but I'm not certain Audeze actually does support dual-sided cables with MM-100.

I'm just having issues using the stock single-sided cable which should work in either cup exactly the same.

I have a feeling their QC test did not include an actual channel test but only checked to make sure it "sounded" correct (not out of phase or mono), and sure, it sounds great in the left cup -- just that the channels are reversed so you've swapped "left" and "right." 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back