Audeze MM-100
Sep 4, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #826 of 1,466
I've had only a little time with them -- but I will say these sound similar to my LCD-GX but with more clarity and more air and slightly better vocals (a little more up front -- not a ton but noticeable) -- enough to ensure my LCD-GX will suffer a rare fate for a pair of my headphones: I'm selling them. They sound pretty neutral without a lot of coloration. I can see why might find them bright but I do not find them uncomfortably so.

They seem to my ears what they purport to be: studio headphones.
That guy on Youtube was saying it has the narrowest soundstage of any headphone he owns. Would you agree with that based on your listening?

Sep 4, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #828 of 1,466
And what does studio headphones mean to you? Are you saying your other Audeze are obviously non-neutral?
Studio to me just means relatively uncolored frequency response, nothing that deviates from a perceived "flat, and benefits as well from a level of detail that is conducive to hearing all the elements of the mix -- although honestly, I'm not sure I have a single headphone I can point to that defines that to me. :sweat_smile: I actually think first, probably, of my Shure SRH-940, although those are definitely light on the bass to my ears. The MM-100 definitely have better bass extension, and sound fuller, which to my ears also makes them a lot more enjoyable.

The closest to neutral I have from Audeze are LCD-XC 2021, the LCD-GX and the LCD-1, but my LCD-X 2020 are definitely more colored, although in a way that I enjoy, as are the LCD-2 Classic and LCD-2F.

That guy on Youtube was saying it has the narrowest soundstage of any headphone he owns. Would you agree with that based on your listening?
I don't perceive them to be much different in soundstage than the HD 660S2, which admittedly doesn't have a large soundstage, to be fair. I don't know if they have the narrowest soundstage of any headphone I own -- I think I would give that characterization to the Audeze EL-8 Closed.

Sep 4, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #829 of 1,466
I don't perceive them to be much different in soundstage than the HD 660S2, which admittedly doesn't have a large soundstage, to be fair. I don't know if they have the narrowest soundstage of any headphone I own -- I think I would give that characterization to the Audeze EL-8 Closed.
Appreciate it. I'm coming into this thing with only a 6XX, so as long as it's something of a step up from that, I think I'll be satisfied for the price.

Sep 5, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #830 of 1,466
Same TRRS configuration as the OPPO PM-3, Fostex T60RP and multiple Hifiman headphones, so it should be pretty easy to find a compatible cable
Hi HipHopScribe, (or anyone who understands headphone wiring)

post edited to avoid confusion and misinformation.

T60RP also uses a single sided cable and is internally wired the same way as claimed for the MM-100.

MM-100 internal wiring is (from Audeze support link in another comment)
TRRS:
Tip - L+
1st Ring - R+
2nd Ring - L-
Sleeve - R-

T60RP wiring (confirmed via multimeter)
TRRS:
Tip - L+
1st Ring - R+
2nd Ring - L-
Sleeve - R-

one difference I noticed on the headphone's side, is the T60RP wire plug is 4-pole (TRRS) and MM-100 wire plug is 3-pole (TRS) according to official photos. while both T60RP and MM-100 are TRS on the source end of the included cable.
so what effect does this "merging of ground" on the MM-100 cable have electrically? no different to split ground for L and R channels?

sorry my only understanding and experience with ground in electronics is: 1. with turntables that have a "ground" screw where you can connect a wire to your amplifier's "ground" so both share the same ground (effect is desirable). but also 2. when multiple electronic devices share the same wall socket and therefore "ground" (in my country we have ground pin in wall socket), but this can cause undesirable high-frequency noise to enter sensitive equipment such as DAC's and amplifiers.

picture showing 3-pole TRS on both ends of MM-100 cable.
audeze-mm100-inbox_2000x.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #831 of 1,466
It appears that the MM-100 are wired balanced, but are sold with w single ended cable, i.e. using a 3,5mm SE jack.

To listen balanced, one must use a balanced cable with a 3,5mm TRRS (Balanced) jack.

For the price, the balanced cable should IMHO be included.

Sep 5, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #832 of 1,466
For the price, the balanced cable should IMHO be included.
I agree the price is high ($679 to $687 in my country depending on store, even though LCD-1 had same US RRP I remember it was cheaper $649 I think - maybe due to current conversion rates).

I am not a professional, but I assume balanced TRRS headphone connection on the source side is not common in pro audio. most likely 6.35mm TRS is most common (and I think I heard somewhere it is the most robust and suitable for headphone plug - well at least compared to 3.5mm).

Audeze seems to be marketing the MM-100 towards professionals rather than Audiophiles (I think the impressions of narrow sound-stage being a compromise makes sense in this regard - most studio headphones have this, prioritising neutrality/clarity over sound-stage). but I agree the price is high, and I will always think compatible accessory should be included. but MM-100 also seems to be "low priced" for Audeze.

also regarding the Audeze branded 6.35mm to 3.5mm adapter that some comments say "was removed from marketing and might not be included anymore". since recently checking the official MM-100 page all mentions of the adapter have been there in the marketing. so I assume just a glitch in the website (maybe they prepared an alternative page in case they do not have it available to include in the box at release etc).

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #833 of 1,466
I don't perceive them to be much different in soundstage than the HD 660S2, which admittedly doesn't have a large soundstage, to be fair.
that makes sense since MM-100 is marketed for studio use.

maybe rather than an upgrade from Hifiman series (like some have said) it is more like an upgrade from HD6__ (HD6XX, HD600, HD650, HD660S/S2).

Sep 5, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #834 of 1,466
When two rights don't make it right.. or or does it? :thinking: My interest is slowly diminishing with this MM-100. Maybe things will change for the better when everything is settled and all streamlined with Sony.
I'll be honest as long as it works properly on one side it doesn't bother me since the ability to "switch sides" isn't important to me personally.

to the common consumer (me) though there does seem to be a few red flags.
1. marketing information changed/removed, then restored. 2. reports of channels reversed when connecting on one socket? (still not sure if this is a case with wrong cable used?) 3. earpads are synthetic leather and are glued to the earcups (when earpads on Maxwell which shares very similar design had twist and remove). synthetic leather does not do well over time (although can depend on quality). if you are going to make them permanent at least use organic leather.
(organic leather seems to do very well if regularly used, when left alone *unused for long periods organic leather can dry up and become brittle. but headphones are something that you use often and especially on the head which is usually more oily than other areas I think it will hold up very well)

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #835 of 1,466
3. earpads are synthetic leather and are glued to the earcups

Yes. A bummer, no doubt 👎

Synthetic leather is a fancy (marketing) name for plastic. Just like almond milk is a fancy (marketing) name for nut juice :D

Sep 5, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #836 of 1,466
Yes. A bummer, no doubt 👎

Synthetic leather is a fancy (marketing) name for plastic. Just like almond milk is a fancy (marketing) name for nut juice :D
I am guessing a few cost cutting decisions had to be made, both to lower the asking price and expedite production (I don't know the technical side but yeah).
but I'll be honest. I think even if the price was slightly higher (maybe USD$599 instead of USD$399) and the cups were aluminum, the earpads were organic leather and it included all possible cables in the box (single-ended 3.5 to 3.5mm, 3.5 to 6.35mm, balanced) it would still undercut the price of the MM-500 significantly and I think a lot of customers would be interested. so that's why I don't think it was just about lowering the asking price.
I also know Audeze probably thought about their lineup and wanted to better protect their higher models but I don't think following their history and delivering an all metal entry product would have hurt them at all, but just my opinion of course.
the LCD-1 was obviously a more experimental product judging by materials and design alone, but I think the MM-100/500 fit within the LCD line up in terms of image/appearance.
they had some delays on the Maxwell as well and I read online a lot of people were not happy about that so I understand Audeze must have taken on some of that feedback.

I know some people are saying "Hifiman killer" but I don't know if Audeze considered directly competing with Hifiman (although I know Hifiman seem to sell a lot). if they are competing with something like the HD660S2 which is currently USD$450 on Amazon. I'm sure many customers will be interested to pay more for a superior planar alternative that had all metal build etc that I mention above.
I guess delays are the nature of pre-order's though, and also not much point discussing "what if" I know. we get what we get and we have to make a decision based on that.

I am saying this all from the opinion as a typical consumer and happy the price was lower because it's still very high for me but within possibility. I have a small box to reach into and I can actually consider ordering the MM-100 because it isn't USD$599. but having it in-stock locally, instead of backorder would have definitely influenced my decision more. (Audeze themselves recommend international buyers to purchase locally, as then all warranty services can be done within country instead of having to ship the unit directly back to Audeze in the US - and I agree with that)

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #837 of 1,466
Well, it's Tuesday and Audeze staff should be back at work again, so hopefully someone from Audeze will come on here again and clear up the confusion regading L or R side cable connection, balanced cable connection and other surprises that have come up after the MM-100 launch.

Early recipients have reported that connecting the supplied cable to the right side cup works as expected, with left side audio in the left cup and right side audio in the right side cup, whereas connecting the cable to the left side results in the audio channels being swapped/reversed - L in right cup and R in left cup.

In this video Chris Berens explains that connecting to either side should yield identical results:

What went wrong here, Audeze? What are you going to do to rectify it?

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #838 of 1,466
Hi HipHopScribe, (or anyone who understands headphone wiring)

just wondering if you are better at understanding wiring than I am.
here is the wiring diagram from a post on HeadFi for T60RP which also uses a single sided cable.
it seems wired the same way as MM-100, except for 2nd ring and sleeve which are reversed.

MM-100 wiring is (from Audeze support link in another comment)
TRRS:
Tip - L+
1st Ring - R+
2nd Ring - L-
Sleeve - R-

T60RP wiring is (from diagram below)
TRRS:
Tip - L+
1st Ring - R+
2nd Ring - R-
Sleeve - L-

10383204.png

but both are technically "ground" so does it not make a difference even if they are flipped?

also I noticed on the headphone's side, T60RP wire plug is 4-pole (TRRS) and MM-100 wire plug is 3-pole (TRS) according to official photos. while both T60RP and MM-100 are TRS on the source end of the included cable.
so does this "merging of ground" on the MM-100 cable mean both T60RP and MM-100 are effectively wired the same internally?

audeze-mm100-inbox_2000x.jpg

If I remember correctly, I think that diagram for the T60RP is misleading. You may want to check the T60RP thread here, because I believe someone tested with a multimeter and found it was L+, R+, L-, R-, just like the MM-100 configuration. I only owned the T60RP briefly before returning it, so I can't confirm that now.

Sep 5, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #840 of 1,466
The "house tuning" in the form of the dip in the upper treble/lower mids kinda makes sure of that.
Don’t you mean upper mid/lower treble?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back