Audeze MM-100
Apr 16, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #181 of 1,447
I have no intention or desire to blame anybody.

The interview gives a clear description of MM-100. Having heard what Audeze Rep. had to say about MM-100 (cheaper, simpler design, driver adapted from existing headphones, etc.), the 399$ price tag seems reasonable.

Now we need to wait for the product to hit the market.

Apr 16, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #185 of 1,447
These might be targeted at the home studio, the teenager that'll think these are awesome! They will be for him, and I think it's brilliant marketing...
Good job Audeze... 👍
I'd probably think they are awesome too and I'm 50! lol

I have been offered a used pair of Ananda's (Stealth versions I belive - checking) for £235. They have a crack in the cup that I'd hope to glue back together, but I'm not sure if to grab these for wait for the reviews etc of the MM100 and then pay almost double for those. I will use them for mixing at home.

Apr 16, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #186 of 1,447
Messaged a guy attending Axpona and he agreed to give a first impression of the M-100.

“All I can say, being an owner of a LCD-X for several years now, wow. Ok, it’s no LCD-X, but it has enough of that bass texture and it is quite snappy. Couple that with a reduced weight and a $400 price tag, I think this things gonna disrupt the mid-fi planar market.”

He posted about a bunch of other cans he tried if you want more context here’s a link to the thread:

https://old.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/12noywz/axpona_day_1/
Excellent. Thanks for the impressions!

Apr 16, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #187 of 1,447
I'd probably think they are awesome too and I'm 50! lol

I have been offered a used pair of Ananda's (Stealth versions I belive - checking) for £235. They have a crack in the cup that I'd hope to glue back together, but I'm not sure if to grab these for wait for the reviews etc of the MM100 and then pay almost double for those. I will use them for mixing at home.

Hmm, that would depend a lot on how big the crack is, where it is, and which direction it's running. That said, I don't think of the Anandas as being a particularly good headphone for mixing (not that they'd be bad necessarily). As to whether the MM-100 will be worth passing in the Anandas and waiting, only time will tell.

Apr 16, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #193 of 1,447
The driver’s been altered to not cannabilize sales of more expensive Audeze or for cost savings?
They likely won't give exact details, but I'm guessing it's manufactured using the same process as the Maxwell, just built and tuned to be open back.

The spacing of the magnets and traces might be different than Maxwell, but I'm betting it's the same type of magnet structure, fazor material/structure, and diaphragm.

Apr 16, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #194 of 1,447
They likely won't give exact details, but I'm guessing it's manufactured using the same process as the Maxwell, just built and tuned to be open back.

The spacing of the magnets and traces might be different than Maxwell, but I'm betting it's the same type of magnet structure, fazor material/structure, and diaphragm.
I dont need exact details. I just want to know if the driver was nerfed for pricing reasons. Assuming they dont want to ruin MM-500 sales and to reduce costs to meet this price point. An exact detail would be how much material cost is saved by MM-100 driver vs MM-500 driver. If the answer is nil then ya, Id not answer the question either if I were Audeze.

Apr 16, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #195 of 1,447
In most cases it's lower tolerances in the final specification and lower rejection of less than ideal parts.

The 500 might have 0.0001mm tolerance requirements while the 100 might have 0.01mm which means the 500 rejects can be used for the 100 instead of being tossed out.

Processors are often built in that manner as a rejected 16 core wafer with only 14 functional cores can be repurposed as 2 6 core CPUs or combined to form 1 12 core CPU on the same die. You get 2 new processors from one reject.

I use a Ryzen 9 5950x instead of the 5900x because the 5950x have higher tolerances and are basically cut from the "Golden Wafer" ie a perfectly formed silicon wafer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back