Audeze LCD3 Initial Impression
Oct 16, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #61 of 347
But let me tell you, I enjoyed the 009/WES tremendously, you should try to hear it.
   I heard that combo before at the First Thai Canjoin meeting , we compared the HE90, O2mkI and later  when we get SR009
We still think HE90 is the king,  SR009 is better than O2 but there is some controversial between O2 and SR009.  We haven't
compared those to the SR Omega yet.  But we will in the near future.
   That's what i exepected about the combo of 009/WES.  However with 727A modded, BHSE and recently we have DIY T2
all these later mentioned amplifier make the SR009 in a bright tone, too much transparency, clarity and over the edge bright.
I cannot listen for long time.   I don't have the WES but it seems to use the tubes that is similar to the Electra of Eddie current.com
I own Balancing act of Eddiecurrent.com which has full warm sweet sound while the dynamic and extension are first class.  It's also
have preamplifier function and when I connected the modded 727A with medium gradem interconnects  I found out the the sound signature of the
Balancing Act correct the pitfall of the SR009 which makes it almost the perfect one.  Previously I have no doubt the HE90 or SR Omega
is better than the SR009,  With the use of tube preamplifier it is the game changer and that suite SR009 or O2mkII very well.  Now I also
don't find much difference between those phone but IMO I will prefer HE90 and SR009 now by split hair.  If you have good tube preamplifier
please try that with SR009 and Stax amplifier.
     What  I am trying to say about the LCD2 is that I found that its performance is underrated,  I have used the BA in fully balanced set up
with the LCD2 rev1   with some tube rolling  it became much better so even if I own re2 I rarely pick for use.  So what I am thinking is that
should I spend another 2000$ for LCD3 when all the improvement that you mentioned has already been corrected by the use of appropriate
setup,source etc.   Please try to listen LCD3 vs LCD2 in proper set usp with BA 300B fully balanced , use WE300B as power tube, tube rolling
of the 6SN7's and to my guess you will get almost the same result and you may like the LCD2 rev1 more because of its unique mid.  That's only
my feeling and it has not been proved yet.  That's the reason why I cancel the preorder of LCD3.

Oct 16, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #62 of 347
Jalo, thanks for your impressions, I want to listen to it now :wink:

Oct 16, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #63 of 347

Quote:
Thank you for the impressions Jalo!
I ask of you this: does the improvements of the LCD-3 justify the additional $1000 over the LCD-2, to YOU? If so, if you were to be using the LCD3 only with your portable balanced rig, would it still be worth it?
And one last thing: More info on the MKIII please! Especially in regards to the LCD-3!
Thanks alot!
==========================
On another note, I hope Audeze can sell the new pads by itself for the LCD-2 owners!

Hehehe, GG, the fact that I bought the Piccolino for my JH13 and HD800 is considered to be mentally insane by most people here on the forum, and you ask me whether the LCD3 is worth the extra premium? :wink:  well my honest feeling is that I think they priced it just right.  No more no less.  I really think they know what they have and they maxed out their gain.  I don't think it is over priced but I don't think it is cheap or a great deal either.  But to beat the LCD3 sound at present, one will have to go much higher to do that.  By the way, when I was over at JH trying out the 3A, Jerry told me that he has a pair of Piccolino also and he liked it too.

With regard to whether it is good with portable.  I think Skylab commented in the other "New LCD3" thread that he listened to "Tyll's uber portable rig" and like it.  I brought my 4 piece "uber portable rig" to try to compare and the improvement of the LCD3 over the LCD2 does carry over to my portable rig.  

With regard to the ALO MKIII.  Yesterday, my first stop was at the ALO table I was trying to upgrade my Solo so it can play video w/ sound.  David Moulder (president of CLAS) did it right away for me (he is a very very nice guy) and at the same time showed me the MKIII and the Continental.  I tried both connected to my ipod/Solo/DB1 and right away I told David and by then Ken was there also, that the Continental is no match with the MKIII and my rig with the SR71b by a long stretch.  I told Ken (jokingly) I am surprised at how fast he has caught up in the portable amp game.  I find the MKIII (it has three gain states, but the demo model only has low gain) driving the LCD2 and the LCD3 very nicely.  I recognized and placed the level of sq in the SR71b range.  By the way, the MKIII has both RSA type balance input and output connectors making it a perfect match with the solo.  I tried to pin David down as to future plan for the Solo, and he only hinted to me that it will eventually become 3 in 1, meaning balance solo-dac-amp all in the same enclosure.  Beyond that I have no other info.  I tried to pitch to him my preference for a much smaller Solo and he said there will be much more to come.  I really thought the MKIII can give the SR71b a run.  Then of course I ran over the RSA table and ask Ray about his plan of his balance DAC.  Ray said he is trying to get it done by Christmas.  Ken also said that the MKIII will be out by Christmas.  So you can start making you christmas list now :wink:

Oct 16, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #65 of 347
JALO, I WANT TO SAY A BIG THANK YOU TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the caps, it does not mean to be rude - it is the only way I can express my gratitude.

Your impressions not only reinforced my decision to buy the LCD3, it also makes me to finally make the decision to go for the WES for my SR009. In the Stax thread, there are a couple of members continued saying that the WES is no match to the BHSE, and that is what is deterring me from getting the WES. On the other hand, the BHSE takes at least one year to build, so I am kind of stuck. The fact that you are more happy with the WES than the BHSE makes it a no brainer for me now. Really thanks a lot!!!!!

Oct 16, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #66 of 347
Hehehe, GG, the fact that I bought the Piccolino for my JH13 and HD800 is considered to be mentally insane by most people here on the forum, and you ask me whether the LCD3 is worth the extra premium? :wink:  well my honest feeling is that I think they priced it just right.  No more no less.  I really think they know what they have and they maxed out their gain.  I don't think it is over priced but I don't think it is cheap or a great deal either.  But to beat the LCD3 sound at present, one will have to go much higher to do that.  By the way, when I was over at JH trying out the 3A, Jerry told me that he has a pair of Piccolino also and he liked it too.

With regard to whether it is good with portable.  I think Skylab commented in the other "New LCD3" thread that he listened to "Tyll's uber portable rig" and like it.  I brought my 4 piece "uber portable rig" to try to compare and the improvement of the LCD3 over the LCD2 does carry over to my portable rig.  

With regard to the ALO MKIII.  Yesterday, my first stop was at the ALO table I was trying to upgrade my Solo so it can play video w/ sound.  David Moulder (president of CLAS) did it right away for me (he is a very very nice guy) and at the same time showed me the MKIII and the Continental.  I tried both connected to my ipod/Solo/DB1 and right away I told David and by then Ken was there also, that the Continental is no match with the MKIII and my rig with the SR71b by a long stretch.  I told Ken (jokingly) I am surprised at how fast he has caught up in the portable amp game.  I find the MKIII (it has three gain states, but the demo model only has low gain) driving the LCD2 and the LCD3 very nicely.  I recognized and placed the level of sq in the SR71b range.  By the way, the MKIII has both RSA type balance input and output connectors making it a perfect match with the solo.  I tried to pin David down as to future plan for the Solo, and he only hinted to me that it will eventually become 3 in 1, meaning balance solo-dac-amp all in the same enclosure.  Beyond that I have no other info.  I tried to pitch to him my preference for a much smaller Solo and he said there will be much more to come.  I really thought the MKIII can give the SR71b a run.  Then of course I ran over the RSA table and ask Ray about his plan of his balance DAC.  Ray said he is trying to get it done by Christmas.  Ken also said that the MKIII will be out by Christmas.  So you can start making you christmas list now :wink:

Jalo,

Thank you VERY much. This has left me even more lost down the road... Ah the world of headphones; it truly brings both sides of "passion."

So the MK3 has Kobiconn Iris connectors as well... that's good news!

I will see you in PM soon. :wink:

PS. Did you happen to take note on the differences in volume pot with the MK3 low gain vs. SR71B low gain? I hear the SR71B makes the ES5 too loud for comfortable hearing according to Nellie, and that is not something I'd like to hear.

Oct 16, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #67 of 347

Quote:
JALO, I WANT TO SAY A BIG THANK YOU TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the caps, it does not mean to be rude - it is the only way I can express my gratitude.

Your impressions not only reinforced my decision to buy the LCD3, it also makes me to finally make the decision to go for the WES for my SR009. In the Stax thread, there are a couple of members continued saying that the WES is no match to the BHSE, and that is what is deterring me from getting the WES. On the other hand, the BHSE takes at least one year to build, so I am kind of stuck. The fact that you are more happy with the WES than the BHSE makes it a no brainer for me now. Really thanks a lot!!!!!

Besides Jude's impression in TV episode 008, I just realized that not too many people have heard the 009/WES combo.  But the 009/BHSE has enjoyed such high praise that one of my goal is to listen to that combo at the show.  In fact, auditioning the 009/WES is kind of an after thought.  Actually even before I tried the WES, I auditioned the WOO's latest mono blocks with the HD800 and I wasn't impressed.  But after I heard the 009/WES combo with some 192hz vocal stuff, it did the magic for me.  Jack and his father was explaining to me that the WES is a totally redesign beast with up to four tubes per channel up to four channel. (i could be off on the numbers but that is the idea).  They have certain tubes solely responsible for the sound in the front and certain tubes responsible for the sound in the back thereby making the entire sound presentation somewhat three dimensional.  And in fact now that I am writing about this I just realized why Sinatra or Diana Krall's sound is still on my mind after a full day.  As I recall my audition on the vocal performances on these various artists, it is as though they took turn to step up to sing for me and all of a sudden, everything else faded into the background.  It is such an unique experience that I found their sound still hanging over me.  It is you and you alone that they are singing to, I feel special hearing those performances.  I did not get this with the Orpheus. You know the two types of girlfriends analogy that I used in my previous post, I just realized I needed both of them:wink:  

Oct 16, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #68 of 347
Congratz Jalo, for deciding to get the SR-009 with the WES. Looks like we will be the first two freaks on Head-fi with both the SR009 and LCD-3. Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #70 of 347
Anyone care to speculate on how the LCD3 would pair with the beta22?

Has anyone quantified what the difference the improvement the LCD3 is over the LCD2? Is it 5%? 10%? 25% better? Also, do the LCD2 v1 or v2 and LCD3 sound like they were cut from the same mold?

Let me say that, to me, the HE500 and HE6 are different enough to say that they sound different. With even personal preferences thrown in to make the choice not so obvious.

So, again, are the 2 and 3 the same but the 3 is just and improvement of the 2? Or is the 3 a different headphone making a correlation between the 2 and 3 not a fair comparison?

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #71 of 347
I very much hope that the LCD3 is an improvement over the LCD2 but retaining the sound signature, i.e. cr~~~~~~~~

Oct 16, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #72 of 347

Quote:
Besides, it seems to me that the Stax 009 and may be electrostatic phone in general are very much dependent on its supportive equipment. ............................... The LCD3 can be driven by a portable system that can be enjoyed anywhere you want it to be whereas 009 cannot. Both phones are very engaging in their own ways. .

My own experience with the LCD2 is that it is amp dependent to really get the best out of it as with the Stax.   In both cases yes you can use either the Audeze or Sax out of any suitable amp and as you say performance is acceptable but I would say not stellar.  Also I feel both are very source dependent and your comment regarding brightness can often be the source as I find many DAC/CD combinations to be in some cases very bright and over analytical,  I prefer my LCD2 with a fast powerful SS amp as the transients are so much faster and has greater punch. Conversly I prefer my Stax with fast poweful tube amplifier.  I have found that both Audeze and Stax really require headphone amps with good reserves of power and high voltage swing if you really want top notch performance rather than just acceptable. Also I think top electrostatic rigs will always be more expensive than their dynamic counterparts as production is limited, more difficult and therefore are bound to cost more.

Oct 16, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #73 of 347
I'm personally hoping that the LCD-3s will be like the LCD-2 rev 2s but with a bit more treble presence and sparkle, plus I'd love a slightly larger soundstage and more detail (not 009 level but at least as good as the 007s).

Oct 16, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #74 of 347

Quote:

Besides Jude's impression in TV episode 008, I just realized that not too many people have heard the 009/WES combo.  But the 009/BHSE has enjoyed such high praise that one of my goal is to listen to that combo at the show.  In fact, auditioning the 009/WES is kind of an after thought.  Actually even before I tried the WES, I auditioned the WOO's latest mono blocks with the HD800 and I wasn't impressed.  But after I heard the 009/WES combo with some 192hz vocal stuff, it did the magic for me.  Jack and his father was explaining to me that the WES is a totally redesign beast with up to four tubes per channel up to four channel. (i could be off on the numbers but that is the idea).  They have certain tubes solely responsible for the sound in the front and certain tubes responsible for the sound in the back thereby making the entire sound presentation somewhat three dimensional.  And in fact now that I am writing about this I just realized why Sinatra or Diana Krall's sound is still on my mind after a full day.  As I recall my audition on the vocal performances on these various artists, it is as though they took turn to step up to sing for me and all of a sudden, everything else faded into the background.  It is such an unique experience that I found their sound still hanging over me.  It is you and you alone that they are singing to, I feel special hearing those performances.  I did not get this with the Orpheus. You know the two types of girlfriends analogy that I used in my previous post, I just realized I needed both of them:wink:   

I can't speak to the sound of the WES because I have never heard it, but if that is the exact explanation they gave you it is complete BS. Not only is it impossible for the WES to know what sound is going to be in the front and back to amplify it separately, if it did so it would need separate cables running to two drivers in the headphones, which is obviously not the case. I am assuming that the WES is a three stage  design, meaning it has an input stage, a voltage amplification stage, and an output stage, where four of the tubes are in the input stage and four are in the output stage. This has nothing to do with amplifying parts of the sound separately and all frequency content receives the same amplification.

Oct 16, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #75 of 347
Why should they move away from what arguably made them so successful?

Quote:
I'm personally hoping that the LCD-3s will be like the LCD-2 rev 2s but with a bit more treble presence and sparkle, plus I'd love a slightly larger soundstage and more detail (not 009 level but at least as good as the 007s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back