Audeze LCD3 Initial Impression
Oct 16, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #46 of 347
You'd have to be pretty insane to sell a pair of headphones, knowing they will be measured by at least two professionals and reviewed by experienced members for $1k more if there aren't significant improvements.

I understand the skepticism though as each flagship that has come out in the past couple of years has had unique issues as well as abilities.

Oct 16, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #47 of 347
yup , $ 1000 price hike demands LCD3 to have good imaging.

it will be a deal breaker for me if the imaging is as good as LCD2 ( they were good , but not HD800 good ).

Oct 16, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #48 of 347
Quote:
You'd have to be pretty insane to sell a pair of headphones, knowing they will be measured by at least two professionals and reviewed by experienced members for $1k more if there aren't significant improvements.

I understand the skepticism though as each flagship that has come out in the past couple of years has had unique issues as well as abilities.

Two words: Ultrasone ED10!

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #50 of 347
Oct 16, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #51 of 347
Well. because of prior engagement, I had to leave RMAF this morning.  But before I left, I made another trip back to Audeze's corner for yet another audition of the LCD3.  I just wanted to make sure what I felt yesterday carries over to today and if I am wrong, I want to be the first one to admit it rather than having to get pointed out by another person.

This time I tried it with the Liquid Fire.  By now I have tried the LCD3 on four different amps, two desk tops (ALO Isabella, Liquid Fire) and two balance portable amps (SR71b, ALO MKIII).  My opinion on the look and feel and comfort remains the same.  In fact, the more you wear the new pad the more it tends to grow on you, several people that sat next to me made similar comments.  May be because of the good seal, there is a quality of silence when you first put the phone on.  The pad gave me a sense of holding something of high quality in my hand.  As for sound quality is concern, I felt my impression from yesterday did not change as compare to LCD2.  The LCD3 in my opinion, is clearly improved in the following areas over the LCD2 v1 or v2: clarity, resolution, frequency balance, instrument separation, bass quality, smoothness, dynamics, sound imaging and sound staging.  There is no question that this a more engaging phone than the previous editions.  

Here I want to clarify couple of statements I made yesterday as it seems to cause some confusion.  I used the analogy of the difference in improvement being similar to HD600 to HD 800, or HD800 to HE90.  I did not mean to say qualitatively the sound improvement between LCD3 over LCD2 is like 600 to 800 or 800 to HE90.  I merely using those pairs to illustrate the sound improvement is readily recognizeable. So there is no need to compare the improvement in sound dimension is similar or not to those pairs.

However, I may have to somewhat alter what I said yesterday about the 009 due to the following experience.  After I listened to the LCD3, I went over the Jack Wu's table and tried the Stax 009 and the Woo's WES Electronstatic amp combo-the subject matter of Headfi TV Episode 008.  This time my impression of the 009 is quite different.  I find with the 009/WES combo, the whole sound presentation is not bright at all.  I was very impressed and enjoyed my audition even though listening to 192 HD sound track doesn't hurt.  My opinion now is that the 009 is technically a better phone but you have to spend about $10,000.00 to achieve that level of performance.  Besides, it seems to me that the Stax 009 and may be electrostatic phone in general are very much dependent on its supportive equipment.  I still think the LCD3 is more enjoyable phone than the 009.  I still love the bass department of the LCD3 more than the 009.  The LCD3 can be driven by a portable system that can be enjoyed anywhere you want it to be whereas 009 cannot. Both phones are very engaging in their own ways.  It is like two different types of girlfriend, the LCD3 is the kind that is fun and like to tease a lot resulting in you keep wanting to go to her to be teased again and again, whereas the 009 is the type that is so true, so true to you, that reveals everything to you, that when you get tired of being teased by the other girlfriend, the 009 is where you come back for some genuine understanding.  

I felt I did not have to retract my statements with regard to the 009/blue hawaii being somewhat bright, as this have been observed by several just within this past few days.  But I do not want to risk being misunderstood         to say that the 009 is bright.  I didn't find that to be the case with the 009/WES combo.  For the price that LCD3 is asking for, it is expensive for those that can afford her, but I did not feel it is over price.

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #52 of 347

Quote:
Quote:

Two words: Ultrasone ED10!

Touché.
tongue.gif

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #53 of 347

Quote:
However, I may have to somewhat alter what I said yesterday about the 009 due to the following experience.  After I listened to the LCD3, I went over the Jack Wu's table and tried the Stax 009 and the Woo's WES Electronstatic amp combo-the subject matter of Headfi TV Episode 008.  This time my impression of the 009 is quite different.  I find with the 009/WES combo, the whole sound presentation is not bright at all.  I was very impressed and enjoyed my audition even though listening to 192 HD sound track doesn't hurt.  My opinion now is that the 009 is technically a better phone but you have to spend about $10,000.00 to achieve that level of performance.  Besides, it seems to me that the Stax 009 and may be electrostatic phone in general are very much dependent on its supportive equipment.  I still think the LCD3 is more enjoyable phone than the 009.  I still love the bass department of the LCD3 more than the 009.  The LCD3 can be driven by a portable system that can be enjoyed anywhere you want it to be whereas 009 cannot. Both phones are very engaging in their own ways.  It is like two different types of girlfriend, the LCD3 is the kind that is fun and like to tease a lot resulting in you keep wanting to go to her to be teased again and again, whereas the 009 is the type that is so true, so true to you, that reveals everything to you, that when you get tired of being teased by the other girlfriend, the 009 is where you come back for some genuine understanding.  

I felt I did not have to retract my statements with regard to the 009/blue hawaii being somewhat bright, as this have been observed by several just within this past few days.  But I do not want to risk being misunderstood         to say that the 009 is bright.  I didn't find that to be the case with the 009/WES combo.  For the price that LCD3 is asking for, it is expensive for those that can afford her, but I did not feel it is over price.

It could be the music, your time in loud ambient noise, or whatever other factors that made the WES seem less bright. An A/B would have been the ideal option, but it seems far fetched that you need a $10,000 rig with the 009 for it to perform better than an ortho.

Oct 16, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #54 of 347
Just a few quick responses to some of the above questions.

Sperandeo: with regard to your question, please see my take on the 009 above.

Complin:  The LCD3 may not be 009/HE60/90/800/R-10 etc, but it is a significant improvement over the LCD2 and shortened the distance to these phones by a significant margin.  No, for the 009/WES combo, I recognized how good it is right away.  I was told by someone I respect a lot that the 009/BHEA is somewhat bright and I confirmed that myself.

Wind06:  you are a sharp reader.

GG:  I think the new pad would work on the LCD2 as they are the same size.  It's just that they used new foam and ultra soft and high quality lambskin.

Kiertijai:  I don't disagree with you that you can get great sound out of your 009/727A.  Please see my above observation.  It is just that I didn't like the Blue Hawaii presentation.  But even with that, I still could be wrong with one audition.  I would like to listen to the Blue Hawaii again.  With regard to your comment whether the difference could be due to source, amp etc.  I don't think so.  I think Audeze did a fundamental change by utilizing a totally newly design driver and the pad seems to make a different to the sound as well.  It is just like the 009, you just can't get that sound by tweaking the upstream stuff.  To me, the difference between LCD2 v1 and LCD2 v2 is rather subtle but the difference between the LCD3 and v1 and v2 is very difference and significant.  I owned the v1 and after I heard the v2, I didn't feel I wanted to upgrade.  But after I heard the LCD3, I know right away I wanted it.  I totally agree with you that with the LCD, you won't get listener fatigue as easy as the 009.  But let me tell you, I enjoyed the 009/WES tremendously, you should try to hear it.

BDH:  There are only four pairs at the show and Jude is prying one pair out of Alex hand.  They are not selling them at the show, nor are they giving any show discount.  Audeze will start selling them on 11/11/11-how do you like that?.  Sorry, I have been on the road and have not had time to do the SAA swap.  I do that soon.

Singh:  the LCD3 image sounds very good, it almost gives the 009 a run for their money.  

Oct 16, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #55 of 347

Thank you for the impressions Jalo!

I ask of you this: does the improvements of the LCD-3 justify the additional $1000 over the LCD-2, to YOU? If so, if you were to be using the LCD3 only with your portable balanced rig, would it still be worth it?

And one last thing: More info on the MKIII please! Especially in regards to the LCD-3!

Thanks alot!

==========================

On another note, I hope Audeze can sell the new pads by itself for the LCD-2 owners!

Oct 16, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #56 of 347

Quote:
The LCD3 may not be 009/HE60/90/800/R-10 etc

Haha, I'm suprised to see the HD800s in the same class as the 009s, orpheus,  etc

Oct 16, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #57 of 347
Thanks for your impressions. 11-11-11 has a nice ring to it. Also ALO MKIII impressions please!

Oct 16, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #58 of 347

Quote:
Also ALO MKIII impressions please!

I heard this a weekend or so ago when Ken showed them to me privately. Very nice amplifier. Easily the best portable i have heard and better than many desktop amps in the 500$ range even.  Good enough to consider for an office setup actually, not just a portale amp.

Oct 16, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #59 of 347
I heard this a weekend or so ago when Ken showed them to me privately. Very nice amplifier. Easily the best portable i have heard and better than many desktop amps in the 500$ range even.  Good enough to consider for an office setup actually, not just a portale amp.

Would this mean it beats the SR71B to your ears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back