Audeze LCD3 Initial Impression
Oct 14, 2011 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 347

gurus

1000+ Head-Fier
I think Audeze should have a special introductory price for the LCD-3 for a limited time -just like the T1 had.

So at what introductory price would you buy one?

Oct 14, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 347
Lol, 20%off :)

Oct 14, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 347
Well, after being almost the first one dashing into the Headfi room at RMAF when it was first open at noon today, I was one of the first one to play with the Audeze's new flagship headphone-the LCD3.  As a LCD2 v1 owner and after only a brief listening, I can tell you all LCD2 owners stay clear of the LCD3 if you do not want to loose another thousand dollars.  It is that dangerous. 

I then continue to listen to the LCD3 for another hour during which time, I grab a LCD2 v2 from the ALO counter and switch back and forth (A-B-A-B-A-B-A-B...) I keep switching back and forth just to make sure the addition premium is worth the difference.  Then I wandered over to Justin's table and played with his Blue Hawaii/STAX-009 combo just so I can keep some perspective.  Later I returned and tried the LCD3 for another hour to see if my initial impression still hold.  The LCD3 is very impressive.  When I first put the LCD3 on my head, I felt the soft fine leather pad improved significantly over the LCD2 v2 pad.  May be because of its softness, I feel it made a very good seal, it just seems like the comfort level has been improved over the previous versions.  The whole phone just seems to have a higher quality that the previous phones.  

And then when the music started to play, almost within ten seconds and without much critical listening, I can immediately tell that it is a much improved phone.  If I never hear the LCD3, I would say that the LCD2 v1 or v2 is a very enjoyable and engaging phone.  But unfortunately now that I have heard the LCD3, the LCD2 V1 or V2 has has shown some graininess in comparison.  With the first sound wave hitting my eardrum, I am at awe at how smooth, clear, balance, and yet very engaging the LCD3 sounded. The bass is still even tighter. Without question another layer of veil has been lifted from the LCD2.  The resolution has improved and so has the dynamics.  I was listening to the LCD3 driven by an ALO Isabella, source is from a Sony CD transport.  Later I tried the LCD3 from my portable setup and received almost as good result (Ipod-CLAS-DB1-SR71b). 

Of course, this is only an initial impression but I felt I spent enough time with it (around 2 hours) to know the sound good enough.  According to Alex, the LCD3 uses an entirely new drive unit.  It is not just an improved LCD2 for which I tend to agree.  The difference to me is like the HD600 to the HD800.  It still has the Audeze house sound but every aspect seems to clearly improved.  I personally felt the difference was bigger than the difference between the HD800 and the HE90 (I compared the two only couple of months ago in a small meet and I have owned the HD800 for almost from the beginning).  Of course, other people will chime in with their inital impressions.  Later, I chatted with Jude and he told me that he listened to it all last night and he is determined to grab one of the four pairs with him at the end.  The phone is expensive compare to the current model.  However, to me, I think it is worth the upgrade.  In fact to me, I find myself enjoyed the LCD3 more so than the Stax 009 as I find the 009 a little brighter than the LCD3 which I worry may induce fatigue easier.  It is getting to that point that if I never hear another phone, I'll be fine with the LCD3.  For those who have the opportunitiy to listen to it, feel free to chime in.

Oct 14, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 347

Quote:
...almost within ten seconds and without much critical listening, I can immediately tell that it is a much improved phone.

Not very reassuring....
confused_face.gif

Oct 14, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 347
Thanks for point it out.  I did it in one breath :wink:

LFF, please allow me to qualify this as an initial impression.  I've been here long enough to know impression may change over time but it is fun to hear what everyone first reaction to this phone is. 

Oct 14, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #8 of 347

Quote:
LFF, please allow me to qualify this as an initial impression.  I've been here long enough to know impression may change over time but it is fun to hear what everyone first reaction to this phone is. 

beerchug.gif

That's fine. I always take such initial impressions with a 10lb bag of salt anyway.

Still...I am looking forward to hearing these sometime soon...if I can get my hands on a pair.

Oct 14, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #9 of 347
I look forward to hogging one of the LCd-3s when Ken gets back to his store in Portland after the show. 

Gotto love 32 OHm and ALo audio for being so awesome and so local :)

Oct 14, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #10 of 347

Quote:
Not very reassuring....
confused_face.gif

i tend to find that pretty reasurring actually.   often my first few seconds of impressions with new cans are what i'm taken by the most.   that instant reaction of WOW, or meh, can tell you a lot.  then of course you can go in for the finer details, but if i'd been used to the LCD-2 , then put on an lcd-3, and the first thing my brain said was WOW!  - well that would be a pretty big deal.

Oct 14, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 347
This is the first post I've seen that said they sounded much different from each other, let alone worth the price difference, so it comes as a surprise you think these sound more different from one another than the HE90/HD800 as those don't sound alike.

Oct 14, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #12 of 347

Quote:
Well, after being almost the first one dashing into the Headfi room at RMAF when it was first open at noon today, I was one of the first one to play with the Audeze's new flagship headphone-the LCD3.  As a LCD2 v1 owner and after only a brief listening, I can tell you all LCD2 owners stay clear of the LCD3 if you do not want to loose another thousand dollars.  It is that dangerous. 

I then continue to listen to the LCD3 for another hour during which time, I grab a LCD2 v2 from the ALO counter and switch back and forth (A-B-A-B-A-B-A-B...) I keep switching back and forth just to make sure the addition premium is worth the difference.  Then I wandered over to Justin's table and played with his Blue Hawaii/STAX-009 combo just so I can keep some perspective.  Later I return and tried the LCD3 for another hour to see if my initial impression still hold.  The LCD3 is very impressive.  When I first put the LCD3 on my head, I felt the soft fine leather pad improved significantly over the LCD2 v2 pad.  May be because of its softness, I feel it made a very good seal, it just seems like the comfort level has been improved over the previous versions.  The whole phone just seems to have a higher quality that the previous phones.  

And then when the music started to play, almost within ten seconds and without much critical listening, I can immediately tell that it is a much improved phone.  If I never hear the LCD3, I would say that the LCD2 v1 or v2 is a very enjoyable and engaging phone.  But unfortunately now that I have heard the LCD3, the LCD2 V1 or V2 has has shown some graininess in comparison.  With the first sound wave hitting my eardrum, I am at awe at how smooth, clear, balance, and yet very engaging the LCD3 sounded. The bass is still even tighter. Without question another layer of veil has been lifted from the LCD2.  The resolution has improved and so has the dynamics.  I was listening to the LCD3 driven by an ALO Isabella, sourse is from a Sony CD transport.  Later I tried the LCD3 from my portable setup and received almost as good result (Ipod-CLAS-DB1-SR71b). 

Of course, this is only an initial impression but I felt I spent enough time with it (around 2 hours) to know the sound good enough.  According to Alex, the LCD3 uses an entirely new drive unit.  It is not just an improved LCD2 for which I tend to agree.  The difference to me is like the HD600 to the HD800.  It still has the Audeze house sound but every aspect seems to clearly improved.  I personally felt the difference was bigger than the difference between the HD800 and the HE90 (I compared the two only couple of months ago in a small meet and I have owned the HD800 for almost from the beginning).  Of course, other people will chime in with their inital impressions.  Later, I chatted with Jude and he told me that he listened to it all last night and he is determined to grab one of the four pair with him at the end.  The phone is expensive compare to the current model.  However, to me, I think it is worth the upgrade.  In fact to me, I find myself enjoyed the LCD3 more so than the Stax 009 as I find the 009 a little brighter than the LCD3 which I worry may induce fatigue easier.  It is getting to that point that if I never hear another phone, I be fine with the LCD3.  For those who have the opportunitiy to listen to it, feel free to chime in.

This is the meet I organized! Jalo has a good set of ears... Btw, gratz for being at rmaf Jalo!

If what Jalo says is true... It is worth.. nearly 2 grand..................... Wow, I'm going to regret saying this... It still should be more fairly priced around 1400-1600$... But if what Jalo says is true ~ Then he is right. For those with the extra coin, this is a headphone that is worth most of it's asking price... (But still not even close to all).

THANK YOU Jalo for the impressions! Some of the best ears on Head-Fi imo... And I am relieved to see that it did beat the 009 (in it's own right, in it's own way), A-B.

Enter the era of 2k flagships... Still not good for Head-fiers on the whole. They need a 1500$ introductory price imo.... at the least.

Oct 14, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #13 of 347
CLASSIC!

" Later I tried the LCD3 from my portable setup and received almost as good result (Ipod-CLAS-DB1-SR71b). "

That's it for me. I am getting the above combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back