AUDEZE LCD XC
Mar 30, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #4,081 of 4,137
Forgive me for asking something that has no doubt been answered, but - can someone provide a one sentence timeline of the LCD-XC?

I know there's a 2021 carbon version with different tuning, but am i right in thinking there was a brief phase of wood based models also with the 2021 tuning?

The LCD-XC was introduced alongside the LCD-X back in late 2013, and the wood cups were standard until late 2019/early 2020, when they were switched to carbon fiber. In late 2020 the earpads and drivers were updated as detailed in the following thread, resulting in what many now call the "LCD-XC 2021".

Mar 30, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #4,082 of 4,137
Anyone experience with connecting the LCD-XC’s to the speaker taps of a tube amp? If so, what tube amp would you suggest?
I would suggest using a Tube Amp that is transformer coupled. XC’s are fairly low impedance but demand a fair amount current to get the most out of them. OTL tube amps are more suited for high impedance headphones like a Susvara or an HD 800. :)
However to answer your question I have not, but I imagine it would be euphoric. :)

Mar 30, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #4,083 of 4,137
I would suggest using a Tube Amp that is transformer coupled. XC’s are fairly low impedance but demand a fair amount current to get the most out of them. OTL tube amps are more suited for high impedance headphones like a Susvara or an HD 800. :)
However to answer your question I have not, but I imagine it would be euphoric. :)
The Woo Audio WA6 works well with the LCD-XC and it's transformer-coupled with a switch for low- or high-impedance headphones.

Mar 31, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #4,084 of 4,137
Hi Head-fi community,

I just acquired an open box set of XC’s with carbon cups. I checked the serial number after making the purchase and realized they’re like 10 units before the 2021 driver update, making them the 2020 drivers (rather annoying but live and learn).

I’m currently using a Zen Dac V2 on my desktop, but considering the new headphones I’m also considering either adding a Can, or going a different route (nothing against the Zen). These will be used in 90% of the time at my desk with audio from an iPad Pro with Apple Music Lossless. Some sort of portability within the house is desirable but not a must. I also have a couple of sets of IEM’s that I can pair with my Quadelix (which allegedly can drive XC’s well), but if I can run one piece of hardware that would be nice. Im not in a position to EQ at the moment. Also, i’m not adverse to running balanced cables, it’s just an additional expense though something I would consider if there is a genuine difference. I think it depends on what your output.

Due to my location (Japan) I don’t have any Schiit or JDS labs stuff available and a lot of the mid-fi stuff isn’t stocked—usually more high end stuff (topping, smsl, etc are available). With that I’m considering a couple of options:

1: Just get a Can and call it a day, but it’s not pick up and go (yes I know DAC can).

2: get a Gryphon. I wasn’t actually considering this because of power recommendations, but noticed a couple of people here are running their XC’s off the Gryphon, so was wondering if this is actually a good combination. The appeal of the Griffin is portability and flexibility, good implementation of features, connection options.

3: get a Micro idsd signature. Refined sound, plenty of power, good implementation of other ifi features, portable, but equally at home on a desk, just not as versatile as the Gryphon.

4: complete left-field option is to get an RME ADI-2 DAC (non-pro) to leverage the equalizer and other features. Anecdotally it seems to pair well with the Zen Can. I’m leaning towards this option, even though it’s double the price of the other two options locally. Being double the price gets me into a different level of territory with other options like the Liberty DAC II for just a little more outlay. Seems like there are differing opinions on the RME— either it’s powerful enough using the internal amp or it’s not and a little anemic; it sounds a little bit dry and analytical and cold or it sounds plenty warm once the EQ is tweaked. My preference is probably slightly warm, a little bass elevation and might bring down bright highs.

5: there are other options out there like the Liberty II or the Burson composer models that are available in around my price point, but not sure what their synergy would be like with the 2020 XC. Also on a really random note with regards to the space I have, these models seem to tend to run long versus wide, whereas something that runs a little bit wide versus long would be a better fit for my desktop set up. Not an option killer, but just something I’m considering.

I have seen these options mentioned over the multiple pages on this thread, but was hoping to just get a quick consensus this might help other people with limited options available. Thank you!

Apr 2, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #4,086 of 4,137
I have been absent for far too long. Please welcome me back to the group.
Welcome sir!! Comments and impressions are always great on here. I welcome your feedback.

Apr 19, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #4,087 of 4,137
The strap of my LCD-XC was stretched and the steel headband was touching the top of my head with all the weight. I was about buying the aftermarket strap from Understated Montreal but with the cost + shipping well over USD100, I thought I might as well paying a bit more getting the Audeze carbon fibre headband assembly for some additional weight saving.

I receive my carbon fibre headband this afternoon and is quite a bit disappointed that the weight saving is only 19.7 grams. Lesson learned.

Attachments

• 20220419_174224_HDR.jpg
    20220419_174224_HDR.jpg
    655.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220419_174152_HDR.jpg
    20220419_174152_HDR.jpg
    779.3 KB · Views: 0
Apr 19, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #4,088 of 4,137
I receive my carbon fibre headband this afternoon and is quite a bit disappointed that the weight saving is only 19.7 grams. Lesson learned.
Yeah, plenty of posts online saying not much of weight savings swapping to the carbon fibre headband. So, what does our XC weigh now (total)?

I've found the Nan-6 leather strap to be higher quality - https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=656091453664

Apr 19, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #4,089 of 4,137
The strap of my LCD-XC was stretched and the steel headband was touching the top of my head with all the weight. I was about buying the aftermarket strap from Understated Montreal but with the cost + shipping well over USD100, I thought I might as well paying a bit more getting the Audeze carbon fibre headband assembly for some additional weight saving.

My LCD-XC (2019) with Burbinga wood and steel strap weighs 730 gm.

Tip: don't hang your phones on the leather strap, only on the steel or carbon fibre.

I shortened the strap by a few millimetres to overcome the touching the steel problem:
1650385083309.png

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #4,090 of 4,137
Yeah, plenty of posts online saying not much of weight savings swapping to the carbon fibre headband. So, what does our XC weigh now (total)?

I've found the Nan-6 leather strap to be higher quality - https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=656091453664

I actually ordered the Nan-6 head band assembly bit later decided cancelling the order. Main reason was to keep the 100% Audeze appearance of the headphones. The Nan-6 strap was also quite thick (may not be supple enough for comfort).

Apr 19, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #4,091 of 4,137

Tip: don't hang your phones on the leather strap, only on the steel or carbon fibre.

I shortened the strap by a few millimetres to overcome the touching the steel problem:
1650385083309.png
Good advice. But I never hang my LCD-XC on stand and the stock strap stretches anyway.

Apr 19, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #4,092 of 4,137

Oh wow, that is heavy. Mine, with the carbon fibre cups and carbon fibre headband comes out to 666g. @borrego , what does yours come out to?

I actually ordered the Nan-6 head band assembly bit later decided cancelling the order. Main reason was to keep the 100% Audeze appearance of the headphones. The Nan-6 strap was also quite thick (may not be supple enough for comfort).
Audeze also sells a shorter strap for something like USD30, I forget how much I bought it for, if you wanted to really keep the Audeze appearance.

Apr 20, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #4,093 of 4,137
@borrego , what does yours come out to?

Audeze also sells a shorter strap for something like USD30, I forget how much I bought it for, if you wanted to really keep the Audeze appearance.
My weight scale is too small to hold the LCD-XC so I didn't weigh the whole headphone.

I did check the Audeze shorter strap. The problem buying from them is again expensive international shipping.

Audeze used to have a Amazon store selling assesories with cheap international shipping cost. Now that shop only sell a few headphone models.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #4,094 of 4,137
My weight scale is too small to hold the LCD-XC so I didn't weigh the whole headphone.
I used a plate on my kitchen scale (after tare to zero)...

Attachments

• LCD-XC DSCF2766.jpg
    LCD-XC DSCF2766.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Apr 21, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #4,095 of 4,137
Hi everyone! This is my first post in this forum, so please let me know if this belongs somewhere else.

I have some experience with audio engineering, but I am new to the HiFi headphone gear side. I will be purchasing the LCD-XC in the next few weeks (maybe sooner), and I was thinking of getting the Rupert Neve Design RNHP DAC for it. I currently use a Universal Audio Apollo Twin audio interface for audio production, and I was curious if I even need the RNHP. What are your thoughts on that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back