AUDEZE LCD XC
Jan 31, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #3,586 of 4,137
Interesting. You can request the response of your headphones? I have both the x and xc and I may just do this.

Yup they responded and gave me my frequency response graph they originally released it with.
Screenshot_20200131-224726453 (1).jpg

Looks interesting. Anyone have suggestions to eq targets I should play with to EQ them into typical bassheads?

Feb 5, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #3,587 of 4,137
Nice. I've used moon audio before. I will order from them. I just hope the memory foam hasn't aged with time in the warehouse; so I will try to email Audeze first.
I am on the mailing list for Audeze’s news letter. I received news today that they just added the LCD ear pads back to the online store. I just looked and they are indeed listed ($80).

Feb 6, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #3,588 of 4,137
Anyone have suggestions to eq targets I should play with to EQ them into typical bassheads?

Different headphones. XC are actually not suited to be a bass heavy headphones, or at least not the newer ones. You should seek for older revisions, pre-2016, which should have more bass, but are less reliable (driver failures).

As for EQ, maybe my graphs would help:

ldcxc-frequency-response-graph-2018-01.jpg

After earcups refitting:

ldcxc-frequency-response-graph-2018-08.jpg

After earcups removed:

ldcxc-frequency-response-graph-2018-07.jpg

I received news today that they just added the LCD ear pads back to the online store.

Be advised that this is their "memories" which are different from for example the ones that I have on my Creator Edition (new pads, but no memory foam). The sound signature will be different.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #3,589 of 4,137
Different headphones. XC are actually not suited to be a bass heavy headphones, or at least not the newer ones. You should seek for older revisions, pre-2016, which should have more bass, but are less reliable (driver failures).

As for EQ, maybe my graphs would help:

ldcxc-frequency-response-graph-2018-01.jpg

After earcups refitting:

ldcxc-frequency-response-graph-2018-08.jpg

After earcups removed:

ldcxc-frequency-response-graph-2018-07.jpg

Be advised that this is their "memories" which are different from for example the ones that I have on my Creator Edition (new pads, but no memory foam). The sound signature will be different.
Good catch on the "memories". Mine are definitely not "memories". Which may explain why I paid $20 more for them (?).

For LCD series headphones, I have only heard my LCD-XC (which are early models) and my 2018 LCD-X. Both of them respond very well to EQ for bass (LCD-XC more so). I just add about 4-6 DB up to about 200hz. For comparison. I have a set of E-MU Teak (Rosewood cups) that are very bassy. After EQ I was able to get my LCD-XC close to the rumble of the E-MU, while still remaining very tight in the bass throughout.

Feb 8, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #3,590 of 4,137
Question: have any enthusiasts been able to compare & contrast the Audeze LCD-XC with the MrSpeakers (Dan Clark Audio) Ether C Flow 1.1 cans? They're both flagship models and their prices are similar. My research tells me they both have similar build quality (excellent) and are assembled by passionate companies. I'm planning on picking up a pair in the Spring (2020) for my 50th birthday.

They'll be used at home and are going to be driven by various Schiit Audio headphone amplifiers (and an analogue EQ [Loki Mini]). My musical tastes are -- varied. :)

How are they different? Thanks in advance for the opinions, eh. :flag_ca:

Feb 8, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #3,592 of 4,137
I cant comment on the other cans, but you're right, the xc are the best built headphones I have ever come across.
CN Tower, eh? Nice.
I appreciate the comment. I'll keep looking around the forums.

Feb 12, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #3,593 of 4,137
Bought a "new" LCD-XC this week, after much pondering. An impending house move required and sleeping arrangements required an investment in a good closed-back for late-night listening to complement my HD800S.

I got a discounted set from the local distributor which was used for in-store demo, and I was surprised that it's a 2015 model, i.e. not the latest driver. I reached out to Audeze, who wants a ridiculous sum of money to update the drivers ($580 + shipping), so I will be in no hurry to do that. What is the current thinking about the 2015 drivers compared to later ones? is the difference worth paying half of what was already paid for the headphone? my gut feeling is that the answer is no.

Had a bit of a listen last night on a portable setup and it sounded very good - though only after our house move this weekend I can properly drive it in my intended system for it, so I'm looking forward to exploring it more!

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #3,594 of 4,137
Bought a "new" LCD-XC this week, after much pondering. An impending house move required and sleeping arrangements required an investment in a good closed-back for late-night listening to complement my HD800S.

I got a discounted set from the local distributor which was used for in-store demo, and I was surprised that it's a 2015 model, i.e. not the latest driver. I reached out to Audeze, who wants a ridiculous sum of money to update the drivers ($580 + shipping), so I will be in no hurry to do that. What is the current thinking about the 2015 drivers compared to later ones? is the difference worth paying half of what was already paid for the headphone? my gut feeling is that the answer is no.

Had a bit of a listen last night on a portable setup and it sounded very good - though only after our house move this weekend I can properly drive it in my intended system for it, so I'm looking forward to exploring it more!
I have had both, not simultaneously and I honestly couldn’t tell the difference. There was a one year gap when I did not own an XC. Does yours have the new suspension headband? That I think is the more important upgrade from the first model.

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #3,595 of 4,137
I have had both, not simultaneously and I honestly couldn’t tell the difference. There was a one year gap when I did not own an XC. Does yours have the new suspension headband? That I think is the more important upgrade from the first model.

Thanks - yes, got the Carbon Fiber headband and vegan pads, very confy! can't wait to run it through the main chain on Sunday (inc. Auralic Taurus mk 2 amp).

Feb 13, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #3,596 of 4,137

There is a faction of Audeze diehards here on Head-fi that swear Audeze drivers prior to 2016 were superior to those after. There are many stories of people whose LCD-3 or X drivers ruptured and were replaced by "inferior drivers". If you are patient you may find one of them willing to trade their new for your old, however imo, there is no point in thinking to hard about it seeing as that may be placebo on their part and you are already happy with your purchase.
FWIW, my LCD-3s were used and produced in 2016 and they honestly sound superlative even if the older versions may have been a little more magical.

Feb 13, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #3,597 of 4,137
I am on team, older xc driver are funner for home use.

I imagine the new drivers tweaks are meant for professionals, which the XC set is actually the target audience for.

The new lcd-1 are now meant to target that business now. Since they are made to be much more convenient. Of course convenient with a balancing act with other parameters.

And bonus silliness. Since it trended recently. There is a reason these were found in that studio Elon Musk borrowed.

images (1).jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #3,598 of 4,137
For the XC to really shine, there are two (maybe three) things:

1. custom foam or material inserts for earpads interior for better comfort and warmer sound
2. very good quality custom cable instead of the crappy stock
3. 99% seal mod (aka Spacer Mod).

I've been experimenting acoustically with my XC since two years already and this is probably the best thing I came up with. LCD-XC are VERY sensitive for sealing and the point is to get the sweet spot sealing. With it, there is no problem with sound isolation or sound leakage, yet the sound is much more realistic with better bass, better imaging and soundstage, without "flat" highs with tendency to become overly bright.

Such things I've got when my earcups on XC were screwed too tight (and there is a risk of damaging the earcups).

But at the same time the earcups can't be too loose (resonances and uneven seal/sound) or with greater distance (hollow sounding, very poor control over bass region, worsened sound isolation).

The mod is very simple and contains 8 pieces of 5 mm x 1 mm x 1mm adhesive rubber pads put in the places where the screws are.

wiEM0xX.jpg

Blue markings are the supposed pads.

SHlVoDl.jpg

cUdoYdH.jpg

The absolute requirement is a 1 mm height. With such, I was able to make them sound the right way. The Mod was performed on other XC and by other people - the same results and very positive effects. As i said, I've had XC with very tight seal which causes them to sound flat with very weak bass and unattractive tone. I dare to say, in my case they advanced with few classes up.

Just give it a try, even out of curiosity.

Feb 23, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #3,599 of 4,137
I have no idea what I'm looking at.

So we add a spacer onto the screws to make the wood farther away? Or we are digging through a small 1mm rubber pad as a ghetto spacer?

Feb 23, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #3,600 of 4,137
I don't know what is "ghetto spacer" but anything on screws has the tendency to get sliced while screwing. As shown by placeholders on pictures above, the spacers should be placed right next to screw holes, not on screw or anywhere else. Four of them are enough, but you can add more in other places in a profiling groove in which a wooden can goes, of course if you want.

The whole concept is to elevate wooden cups VERY slightly. The goal is not to create a semi-open model from XC, but to give the transducer chamber a very controlled, minimal amount of air.

If this modification seems too difficult and too complicated, the general rule is not to take it forcibly. If you're happy with your headphones - simply don't mess with them.

I think that handmaking these headphones and the randomness of the screwing of wooden earcups causes different opinions about them in some people, especially those reporting flat sound and lack of bass.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back