AUDEZE LCD XC
Dec 19, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #2,896 of 4,142
I contacted C3audio and got a cable that helped tame my XC. Love it now. Also played a bit with tubes and use warm tubes such as tungsol and WE 396a. Such an engaging HP.

Dec 19, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #2,897 of 4,142
I've run the XC's off a Mojo, Hugo, TT, Dave, WA22 and Wells Milo. They all pass their own flavor through the XC's in good and bad ways, but the Roon plug in has the most profound impact of all. I use the Roon plug in when using all of those sources. My only point, before swapping out sources, give the plug in a shot and potentially save yourself some money. You can refine the sound with cables etc afterwards. The plug in is simply well implemented EQ, so the same results can probably be achieved using other programs but the plug-in/preset is so easy and there are many other benefits to Roon. That said, I use the Roon presets for the LCD-4 and LCDi4's too. For the 4's it's more for refinement whereas the XC's really need it for my preferences.

Dec 19, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #2,898 of 4,142
Now that's the feedback I was looking for . That gives me hope. When I tried the lcdx at canjam I knew I had to have a pair but they didn't sound anything like this so I was really taken aback at the treble thing . Copper cables you say. Makes perfect sense. Which brand did you wind up with ? I'll look into the amps you mentioned. Are you running them balanced?
Are there any users out there using the Alo Cdm to power these and if so what kind of tubes are you using to tame the highs of these cans? It would seem that the cdm would be a good match for these being tubey sounding and all but so far so trebly with the mullards installed.. Any other experiences and suggestions are more than welcomed . Thanks again for brightening my day with the news that I'm not comipletley crazy or deaf with my first experience with the xc. I was pretty bummed for a second there...

I got a 3C (Charleston Cable Company) Cardas cable. SLC1966 got the same brand (See his post above) It looks like 3C doesn't advertise the cable I have anymore but contact them as SLC1966 did and they will hook you up. chris@c3audio.com is a fantastic help there. Highly recommend their products and service. The cable made the XC's enjoyable. Switching Dac/amps and going balanced took the XC's to the next level though. The stock XLR cable actually sounded pretty darned good with my new DAC/AMP so you might even be able to get away with not getting a cable if you got the right DAC/AMP.

I was really disappointed with my XC's for several months. There's some posts earlier in this thread where I was asking for help, as you are. I came pretty close to selling my pair, but very glad I hung onto them now. They are worth building your system around.

Dec 19, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #2,899 of 4,142
The ultimate solution was I switched out my bright/analytical Burson Conductor AMP/DAC for a more neutral set-up

I have the same problem I was wondering if it would help to switch out the Sabre DAC for the 1793. Which DAC were you using?

Also considering the Moon Audio Black Dragons specifically recommended for LCD-XC but kinda pricey, still...

In the mean time using the Burson + Sabre with the EL-8C, what a fantastic sounding headphone, I wonder why they stopped making them.

Dec 19, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #2,900 of 4,142
Ok. Guess I got my work cut out for me here. How much will I have to outlay to get into an amp hat likes these cans? I just tried the alo cdm with no joy. No bass and all treble. Damn ! I was hoping for more . They sound better through my ak320 straight.. actually not so bad as with the grace . I'm wondering if there is really no hope in finding a portable that works well with these. One reviewer liked the juntu with these. I really don't spend much time at home listening to headphones so don't know if it makes a lot of sense to spend the dough on a rig I won't use a lot . Marybe the the ak amp would do the trick.
I'll look into roon. I am a sound engineer as a profession and don't like to eq things unless I have to but maybe this is the exception. Thanks so much for the suggestions. l I'll report back .

Dec 19, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #2,901 of 4,142
I have the same problem I was wondering if it would help to switch out the Sabre DAC for the 1793. Which DAC were you using?

Also considering the Moon Audio Black Dragons specifically recommended for LCD-XC but kinda pricey, still...

In the mean time using the Burson + Sabre with the EL-8C, what a fantastic sounding headphone, I wonder why they stopped making them.

I was using the Sabre DAC. That's a pretty good thought to switch to the 1793. The Sabre worked great for my Senn HD800S and Beyer T5p's I had at the time. (Both of those are on the warm side) The Sabre doesn't seem to be a good match with headphones that have more extended higher frequencies. My Beyer T1's didn't like the Sabre chip either. I've never heard the 1793 but it's supposed to be more musical and forgiving which would have to help. I also considered the Black Dragon cable but went with the 3C cable to save a bit of money. I was really skeptical a cable would make a noticeable difference but it did in this case.

Dec 19, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #2,902 of 4,142
I was using the Sabre DAC. That's a pretty good thought to switch to the 1793. The Sabre worked great for my Senn HD800S and Beyer T5p's I had at the time. (Both of those are on the warm side) The Sabre doesn't seem to be a good match with headphones that have more extended higher frequencies. My Beyer T1's didn't like the Sabre chip either. I've never heard the 1793 but it's supposed to be more musical and forgiving which would have to help. I also considered the Black Dragon cable but went with the 3C cable to save a bit of money. I was really skeptical a cable would make a noticeable difference but it did in this case.

Thanks! Also loved ETSU.

Dec 20, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #2,903 of 4,142
I am using 2 different setups:
1. Marantz NA7004 Music Server 24/96 (JRiver)>Schiit Bifrost>Schiit Asgard 2>LCD-XC Single Ended Stock Cable.
2. Marantz NA7004 Music Server 24/96 (JRiver)>Musical Fidelity M1DAC Balanced>Schiit Mjolnir>LCD-XC 4Pin Balanced Stock Cable.

While the Schiit Asgard 2 Drives the LCD-XC very nicely with great Bass, nothing is like the Powerful Schiit Mjolnir. Unbelievable match for the LCD-XC.

I want to get the Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 Cable. (I have the Black Dragon for my HD700's)

Even though the 20 ohm LCD-XC's are easy to drive, a good Amp will reveal their full potential.

Happy Listening!

Dec 20, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #2,904 of 4,142
I'm surprised you would want silver dragon cabling considering the treble I hear in the xc but maybe that's purely down to not enough amplification in my systems (grace 920 and alo CDM) causing the treble to be too much . If they are powered correctly I bet you could want more high end in them but from where I'm sitting that would take an already trebley sounding can and make them worse.
I tried the "reveal" plugin from Audeze today but it just confused me more. It seems to roll off the highs with 100% mix but what does that mean? What scenario of mix translation is that supposed to be emulating ? Apple earbuds? What does 50% emulate ? Car stereo? It's al too vague for me to understand how to use it and the explanations offered in the Audeze website do nothing to illucidate what the plugin is supposed to be doing for the listener . Guess I'll have to look deeper.
Thinking about getting a alo green line which is copper and silver plated copper strands for the xc . Has anyone tried these cables with the xc ? The guy agreed that the xc was pretty trebly and wasn't sure if the silver coated copper strands would be taking the sound signature in the wrong direction towards more detail and resolution in the highs. Now I'm thinking the amp is the most important thing but I can't find a portable amp that can really do these justice. The cdm sounds pretty bad with no bass to speak of and all highs . They sound the best straight out of the ak320 of the three amps I currently have.

Dec 20, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #2,905 of 4,142
seedubchris:
I think Moon Audio recommends the Black Dragon v2 for the LCD-XC. Don't worry, you will find the right combo. Many have said the Schiit Jotunheim is a great Amp for the Audeze's

As for portable Amps that new iFi Nano iDSD Black should do the trick for you. I have the Ray Samuels SR71A which can drive almost anything with ease.

Dec 20, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #2,906 of 4,142
I'll be frank, I've not heard the Jot but rumors say it's pretty bright and aggressive. I did NOT like the sound of the LCD XC with anything remotely "right" or even having a little top end emphasis. I have how ever, heard the Ray Samuel SR 71B with the XC, it has a very dark and deep sound! An excellent amp to pair with the LCD XC imo

I think the Nano DSD should be nice too, it's got a more natural burr brown dac chip-set that should pair nicely with the XC.

Non the less, my review of the XC is officially up! Took more time than I anticipated but I hope you guys enjoy it ^^
http://hifilowlight.blogspot.com/2017/12/a-tale-of-two-headphones.html

In short, I really loved the LCD XC as a portable! Any owners of Chord Portable products will likely really enjoy pairing the XC to their own gear! The same can be said for iFi Audio all in one owners as well

Dec 20, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #2,907 of 4,142
Thanks for the advise. One question ... what does "jot" stand for ?
I am a big fan of balanced powering of things . Speakers, cans etc... would the rsa p-51 also be powerful enough for the lcdxc? I have looked at the sr71 but it is a se only devise as I understand. I may be able to pick up a p51 used .

Dec 20, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #2,908 of 4,142
Thanks for the advise. One question ... what does "jot" stand for ?
I am a big fan of balanced powering of things . Speakers, cans etc... would the rsa p-51 also be powerful enough for the lcdxc? I have looked at the sr71 but it is a se only devise as I understand. I may be able to pick up a p51 used .

Jot short for Jotenhium, the SR 71B is a balanced amp. Though the LCD XC isn't difficult to drive, low impedance pair'd with high sensitivity make it easy enough to amp. Yea with at least 1+wpc the bass is more solid but even with perfect power conditions it's still not as clean/lean and hefty/taut as the LCD 2. So I wouldn't bother over getting a balanced amp just for it! Unless everything else you have is balanced

Dec 20, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #2,909 of 4,142
Any owners of Chord Portable products will likely really enjoy pairing the XC to their own gear!

Lol, not me.

Too bright for my tastes, but with other headphones, like the Utopia, I don’t find the Chord portables too bright at all. Different strokes I guess, or different headphone variation. Mine are from 2014.

Dec 21, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #2,910 of 4,142
I tried the "reveal" plugin from Audeze today but it just confused me more. It seems to roll off the highs with 100% mix but what does that mean? What scenario of mix translation is that supposed to be emulating ? Apple earbuds? What does 50% emulate ? Car stereo? It's al too vague for me to understand how to use it and the explanations offered in the Audeze website do nothing to illucidate what the plugin is supposed to be doing for the listener . Guess I'll have to look deeper..

"Dry" is 0% of the plugin in effect, "Wet" is 100% of the plugin affecting the signal. Anything in between is a partial effect, only part of the intensity of the changes. It is like an EQ curve that is more or less pronounced depending on that fader. Like the frequencies and Q's are the same, but the dBs are lower or higher depending on the knob position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back