AUDEZE LCD XC
Nov 13, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #2,866 of 4,127
I wish you guys would comment on Thr mid section, and vocals and engagement and overall *fun/emotion*.

I appreciate all of you

I think the XC is something of a U shape sig but nothing drastic. The mids aren't lacking to my ears but not as sweet as my Senn HD800S. However, the HD800S sound-stage is so freakishly wide, many times, the vocals seem more up front on the XC's. The ortho bass is very special to me. That always adds fun. I have the Fostex TH 900 which have loads of bass but they don't seem to go as low as the XC's do. The instrument separation is great too so I find it fun to track instruments that aren't necessary front and center. It's also cool to pick out details I've never heard before. The XC's are also striking headphones to look at which adds to the fun. For all these reasons and more, I find the XC's to be very engaging. The fun/emotion is all a matter of preference though. Othro's don't push air like dynamic driver phones so some claim, that ortho's lack emotion and impact.

Nov 15, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #2,867 of 4,127
Got a new pair of these while repairing an old 2014 set (right driver failure after almost 3 years; not too bad, at least the driver had the decency to die within the warranty period). The 2014 sounded great and so do the new ones, but the new ones are quite a bit brighter than the old set. I'm using the C3Audio Universal Headphone Cable UPOCC, but I wanted to check if anyone knows of a warmer-sounded cable. Which would be the warmest, XLR-balanced cable?

This is a link to the cable I'm using as referenced above:
https://www.c3audio.com/store/p69/Universal_Headphone_Cable_-_UPOCC.html

EDIT: still looking for a cable, but I have come to find that the brightness is actually coming from my Schiit Jotunheim. Not too happy about that, but at least it's not the XCs themselves!

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #2,868 of 4,127
Listening with mojo, very nice, however it's strange, a dark headphone but somewhat bright. What can I do about the brightness. Slight uplift in The low treble, high midrange.

Would a cheap schiit stack do? Sure wish they werent harsh at times. Or *forced*.

They are precise tho, I love their imaging. Zeus XR better in every way, but these are cool and fun.

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #2,869 of 4,127
Hi Head-fi, new poster here. We don't have dealers for high end headphones in the small country where I live but I'm planning on buying an LCD-XC in December when I travel to Singapore. I've not really kept up with headphone news since I got my first gen LCD-2s ages ago but I am aware that Audeze upgrades their headphones quite regularly. I guess my question is what is the state of the LCD XC? Have there been revisions since it was released? Any way for me (or the dealer) to tell if its the most up to date version?

Thanks

Nov 20, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #2,870 of 4,127
Hi Head-fi, new poster here. We don't have dealers for high end headphones in the small country where I live but I'm planning on buying an LCD-XC in December when I travel to Singapore. I've not really kept up with headphone news since I got my first gen LCD-2s ages ago but I am aware that Audeze upgrades their headphones quite regularly. I guess my question is what is the state of the LCD XC? Have there been revisions since it was released? Any way for me (or the dealer) to tell if its the most up to date version?

Thanks
Pretty much any set of the XCs produced after February 2016 has updated drivers. If you can find out the manufacturing date that's how you can be sure, otherwise you would have to email Audeze with the serial number for them to check.
In my experience the updated drivers brightened up the XCs considerably (thank goodness I have an EQ box, the Schiit Loki), but the bass is a lot more defined (not more or less, just better defined).

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #2,871 of 4,127
Pretty much any set of the XCs produced after February 2016 has updated drivers. If you can find out the manufacturing date that's how you can be sure, otherwise you would have to email Audeze with the serial number for them to check.
In my experience the updated drivers brightened up the XCs considerably (thank goodness I have an EQ box, the Schiit Loki), but the bass is a lot more defined (not more or less, just better defined).

It is bright...what is the chespest way to tame it down some

Nov 21, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #2,872 of 4,127

Thanks a lot!

Nov 21, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #2,873 of 4,127
I wouldn't say the 2016 driver are brighter than the 2014 drivers, in fact there was some reduction in the lower treble region as well as mid bass. There is definitely more energy above 2 KHz compared to an LCD3. But I'm not aware of any mods guys are making to any LCD, they are still dark compared to a TH900.

Nov 21, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #2,874 of 4,127
Or use the Reveal plugin from Audeze to have it warmer.

Nov 21, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #2,875 of 4,127
Or use the Reveal plugin from Audeze to have it warmer.
I'm not too familiar with this. Would the plug-in apply only for recording / while using the software that has the plug-in, or can I somehow have the plug-in be 'permanently' in the LCD-XCs / drivers for use without the software / PC?

Nov 21, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #2,876 of 4,127
Reveal is a plug-in to be used by both audio professionals in recording software (DAW) and consumers with Jriver, foobar, Roon etc playback software.

One can tune 100% of the effect of the plug-in (called wet on the dial) or 0% (dry) or anything in between.

Personally I like my XCs as they are but the plug-in is free so I suggest everyone to try it.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #2,877 of 4,127
It is bright...what is the chespest way to tame it down some

I don't find it bright at all - smooth with more defined bass Imo over 2015s (got mine upgraded with new drivers)

Nov 25, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #2,880 of 4,127
The 2104 version used LCD-X drivers, and maybe could be converted to an LCD-X. The 2016 version adds a tuning network designed to be used with the wood covers installed. I don't know why you would want to do that anyway, the LCD-XC are worth more than LCD-X. The 2016 (tuned) version is in the highest demand right now, so you shouldn't have too much trouble selling it. I noticed you lost the custom Pelican case so be prepared to take a hit for that, probably an additional $200 off. Still, they will be a good bargain for someone who doesn't need the case, your loss is their gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back