AUDEZE LCD XC
Nov 11, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #2,851 of 4,127
Have a 2.5mm TRRS cable on the way to get the full 7V rms output from the balanced port, but the output impedance changes as well so I'm hoping the sound doesn't darken, or thin out too much.

Well, you won’t ever get the full 7Vrms output unless you turn the volume up to max, which I highly doubt you’ll do with the XC unless you are legally deaf.

Congrats on your purchase. :)

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #2,852 of 4,127
Late to the party, but I just welcomed home a pair of new audeze LCD-XC's last night!

My first set of cans were the grado SR80, then the SR225; since then have pretty much been all IEMs with the exception of the stax L500.

I gotta say; I've been missing out. The *huge* sound of these LCD-XC's are fantastic. I feel that having the closed back helps with isolation, and yet you get such an incredibly spacious sound. I demo'ed them against the aeon flow closed headset, and while those were stellar, the LCD-XC's just felt like they were a notch above. Silky, powerful, well extended on both ends; yet just slightly dark and syrupy enough to relax to with a nice drink in hand and the lights down low.

I'm in love with these full size cans, I think my IEMs are going to have to take a back seat for a little while...

powering these off my astell&kern KANN atm, using the single ended output (4V rms iirc). Have a 2.5mm TRRS cable on the way to get the full 7V rms output from the balanced port, but the output impedance changes as well so I'm hoping the sound doesn't darken, or thin out too much. My Kaiser Encores when going from SE on my 120ii (2 ohm OI), to the balanced (1 ohm OI), started getting shouty and borderline sibilant; lost some musicality. Hoping for the opposite effect since reading on the web, strangely the Kann goes *up* in OI from se to balanced (balanced being higher OI?) Maybe due to lacking a dual dac and opamp stage, who knows. Can't wait to hear the results either way.

Feel like upgradeitis/GAS has been staved away for a little bit thanks to these LCD-XC's. Have heard nothing like them; makes classical/orchestral tracks sound so damn good before.

Congrats! You'll love these and will last a long time. Paired with a good amp, it will bring out the best in these spacious cans.

Nov 11, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #2,853 of 4,127
Well, you won’t ever get the full 7Vrms output unless you turn the volume up to max, which I highly doubt you’ll do with the XC unless you are legally deaf.

Congrats on your purchase. :)

Thanks! But oh - yeah, that's probably true. But would it at least mean the gain / volume switch would be lower to have the same amount of power sent out? Not an expert on EE or how amplifier/dac internal circuitries work, but am curious if there are performance implications of an amp sending out 100% gain pushing 4V, or ~60% gain pushing 4V from the 7V balanced out?

Doubt it's something I could discern in a double blind test, but it's nice to know your gadgetry is working at its full potential :D

Nov 11, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #2,854 of 4,127
Congrats! You'll love these and will last a long time. Paired with a good amp, it will bring out the best in these spacious cans.

thank you! I told myself I'd be happy with the AK Kann driving them but I'm already looking at the WA8 eclipse for work... this is a dangerous hobby.

Nov 11, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #2,855 of 4,127
Thanks! But oh - yeah, that's probably true. But would it at least mean the gain / volume switch would be lower to have the same amount of power sent out? Not an expert on EE or how amplifier/dac internal circuitries work, but am curious if there are performance implications of an amp sending out 100% gain pushing 4V, or ~60% gain pushing 4V from the 7V balanced out?

Doubt it's something I could discern in a double blind test, but it's nice to know your gadgetry is working at its full potential :D

When a manufacturer quotes a max power rating that’s for full volume. With my gear (listed in my signature) I rarely use more than 1/8th of the available power from my devices with the LCD-XC to reach my preferred listening level. Power equals volume with transducers and implementation equals quality. Most headphones draw minimal power actually at reasonable volume levels, and certainly no where near 7Vrms or 4Vrms. It’s more the implementation of the source gear that’s important than the max power spec, which I would put on the bottom of the list regarding sound quality. Specs like crosstalk, THD, impedance, dynamic range, slew rate, etc., are more telling than max power specs.

You are correct though that using high gain and 60% volume is better than low gain and 100% volume because you’d want to avoid distortions, but again, it’s only a few headphones that require such power. The LCD-XC is actually quite efficient and will probably use 20-30% volume on low gain (at least for my listening levels around 85dB average).

thank you! I told myself I'd be happy with the AK Kann driving them but I'm already looking at the WA8 eclipse for work... this is a dangerous hobby.

The WA8 is a rather weak amp compared to the KANN actually, but many people really like it with a wide range of headphones. The WA8 outputs only 350mW max in to a 45 Ohm load. Again, it’s the implementation and quality (and synergy) of the gear not the max power spec that’s important... once you have enough power to drive your headphones with some room to spare for dynamics in the music (around 80% volume).

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #2,856 of 4,127
solid info xRELICx - thank you!! really appreciate the time and info. i feel like the lcd-xc is just the beginning - can't wait to see what the rest of the journey holds!

Nov 13, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #2,859 of 4,127
Is this headphone considered *clear* does it have good *resolution /detail*?

Or is it rather warm, dark and more musical than it is fun or exiting?

The XC's are very resolving and detailed. If anything, a touch on the bright side, but with tremendous tight bass. I actually had a lot of problems with harshness and brightness when I paired the XC's with a bright/analytical DAC/Amp combo. With a more neutral amp, the XC's sound fantastic to me. Surprisingly wide sound-stage for a closed phone as well.

Nov 13, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #2,860 of 4,127
The XC's are very resolving and detailed. If anything, a touch on the bright side, but with tremendous tight bass. I actually had a lot of problems with harshness and brightness when I paired the XC's with a bright/analytical DAC/Amp combo. With a more neutral amp, the XC's sound fantastic to me. Surprisingly wide sound-stage for a closed phone as well.

I would agree with this as well. A warm amp like my Marantz HD-DAC1 drives these cans like a champ, and makes them super fun to listen as well. I'm actually surprised more folks aren't talking about a Marantz/XC combo more. They are the perfect antidotes to one another...

Nov 13, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #2,862 of 4,127
Is mojo a decent pair?

Getting the lcd XC as gift from a friend. I'm too poor to buy any dac/amp.

I'm hoping mojo is good enough pair with it without any sibilance

I do like a forward midrange, I like an emotional and fun midrange, I sure hope these will be ok
Had the mojo with my XC once upon a time, and they sounded fantastic. I drive them now with the OPPO HA-1 and Senn HDVD800. Both sound detailed and musical.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #2,863 of 4,127
Is mojo a decent pair?

I do like a forward midrange, I like an emotional and fun midrange, I sure hope these will be ok

I also drive them with Mojo. Works very well. XC is relatively easy to drive.

I also drive them with Vali 2, Mimby and Eitr. That is a combo I prefer for XC. I get an even more visceral sound. For my Aeon HP for whatever reason I prefer Mojo over the Schiit triple stack.

I wonder why XC is not talked about much. Obvious reasons are price, size and weight. I thoroughly enjoy the sound of them!

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #2,864 of 4,127
Is mojo a decent pair?

Sounds like the Mojo should be fine, from what others are saying. I would add: The XC's are a good enough headphone, that they are worth building your system around. (Especially if you absolutely have to have a closed headphone) Even if the Mojo isn't an ideal pairing, I would still hang on to the XC's until you were able to add a better match to your audio chain. I'm speaking from experience, as I nearly sold my pair before switching to a more suitable Amp/DAC. With that said, I really hope the Mojo pairs well and you enjoy the XC's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back