AUDEZE LCD XC
Nov 25, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #2,881 of 4,150
The 2104 version used LCD-X drivers, and maybe could be converted to an LCD-X. The 2016 version adds a tuning network designed to be used with the wood covers installed. I don't know why you would want to do that anyway, the LCD-XC are worth more than LCD-X. The 2016 (tuned) version is in the highest demand right now, so you shouldn't have too much trouble selling it. I noticed you lost the custom Pelican case so be prepared to take a hit for that, probably an additional $200 off. Still, they will be a good bargain for someone who doesn't need the case, your loss is their gain.
Could I get rid of it at 900$? It's ready to ship

Nov 25, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #2,882 of 4,150
Reveal is a plug-in to be used by both audio professionals in recording software (DAW) and consumers with Jriver, foobar, Roon etc playback software.

One can tune 100% of the effect of the plug-in (called wet on the dial) or 0% (dry) or anything in between.

Personally I like my XCs as they are but the plug-in is free so I suggest everyone to try it.
I'm surprised more people are not talking about this plug-in. I'm using the preset from Roon for the XC's (as well as the LCD-4 and LCDi4's) and it makes a HUGE difference. I liked the XC on it's own. With the preset/filter it is fantastic. I highly recommend giving it a shot.

Nov 25, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #2,883 of 4,150
I have updated my post above to remove the statement that the 2016 updated drivers version is brighter. I have come to find out that the added brightness is coming from my Schiit Jotunheim, since I tried the Magni 3 and an SMSL AD18 and the issue was not present. It's only at higher volume levels; not 'hearing damage' high, but still. Regardless, I can live with that.

To summarize: the 2016 updated drivers have more defined bass and do not seem any brighter on the higher treble levels than the non-updated drivers versions.

Nov 25, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #2,884 of 4,150
I'm surprised more people are not talking about this plug-in. I'm using the preset from Roon for the XC's (as well as the LCD-4 and LCDi4's) and it makes a HUGE difference. I liked the XC on it's own. With the preset/filter it is fantastic. I highly recommend giving it a shot.

My system is cd transport > DAC > amplifier > headphones. No place to put a plug-in.

Nov 26, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #2,885 of 4,150

I like the plug-in as well. With the plug-in enabled the sound reminds me of speakers in a small room. A different flavor.

Dec 3, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #2,886 of 4,150
Just picked up a pair of 2016 Audeze LCD-XC's. I am using them with my Schiit Mjolnir. So far they sound amazing.
9936071_m.jpg

Dec 5, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #2,887 of 4,150
Got these in the mail today. They have the latest drivers in them and initial listening impressions are they sound phenomenal.

LCD-XC.jpg

Dec 19, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #2,888 of 4,150
Just got a pair three days ago and I think they are very sibalent , to a default. I'm using grace 920 and CDM. I want to get some cables to fight the piercing treble. Any thoughts..? Gold plated copper litz from double helix is my first thought on the matter. I thought they would be close to the LCD-x but no where near as warm and enveloping . Pretty disappointed if I'm honest. Waiting for the right cables to power them balanced . Maybe that will help cause se is pretty harsh sounding . Right in the 6 to 10k region. I'm gonna try the plugin but that won't help with portable.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #2,890 of 4,150
So I guess I'm not the only one who can't stand the way they sound out of the box. So strange . Will a big powerful amp fix the sound ? Why would they let them go out sounding like that . Can they not hear too good? How about pre fazor drivers or another rev ? What can be done other than the plug ? If the plug can fix the problem is it through the use of eq and if so does it come at a cost like phasing or miss judgement in mixing calls. Seems like it's back out to sea without a compass or clock .

Dec 19, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #2,891 of 4,150
seedubchris
Those LCD-XC should be everything but sibilant and harsh. They should have super tight Bass, smooth Mids and the Highs are not bright at all. They have a great soundstage as well. I don't have the LCD-X but I am very happy with my LCD-XC's

Dec 19, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #2,893 of 4,150
XCs are brighter than Xs. And the Reveal plug-in warms the XC a lot.
Having said that maybe you can get warmer dac+amp by using a Burson CV2+.

Dec 19, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #2,894 of 4,150
Just got a pair three days ago and I think they are very sibalent , to a default. I'm using grace 920 and CDM. I want to get some cables to fight the piercing treble. Any thoughts..? Gold plated copper litz from double helix is my first thought on the matter. I thought they would be close to the LCD-x but no where near as warm and enveloping . Pretty disappointed if I'm honest. Waiting for the right cables to power them balanced . Maybe that will help cause se is pretty harsh sounding . Right in the 6 to 10k region. I'm gonna try the plugin but that won't help with portable.

Mine sounded really bright to the point it was just a harsh glare that made them really difficult to listen to. I tried many things. Vegan pads: Which helped a small bit. A warm copper cable helped more than I expected. The ultimate solution was I switched out my bright/analytical Burson Conductor AMP/DAC for a more neutral set-up: Yulong DA-9 DAC and Violectric HPA-181 AMP. I've loved the XC's ever since, and seem to reach for them more than my other phones now.

Dec 19, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #2,895 of 4,150
Now that's the feedback I was looking for . That gives me hope. When I tried the lcdx at canjam I knew I had to have a pair but they didn't sound anything like this so I was really taken aback at the treble thing . Copper cables you say. Makes perfect sense. Which brand did you wind up with ? I'll look into the amps you mentioned. Are you running them balanced?
Are there any users out there using the Alo Cdm to power these and if so what kind of tubes are you using to tame the highs of these cans? It would seem that the cdm would be a good match for these being tubey sounding and all but so far so trebly with the mullards installed.. Any other experiences and suggestions are more than welcomed . Thanks again for brightening my day with the news that I'm not comipletley crazy or deaf with my first experience with the xc. I was pretty bummed for a second there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back