AUDEZE LCD XC
Oct 3, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #2,822 of 4,142
What is everyone driving the XC with transportably? I have been using Android OTG -> Centrance HIFI M8 -> XC for a while. It sounds really good, but I feel there are more potential to tap into. It's not as clear and dynamic as it should be. I don't have any high-end desktop setup, so it's hard to say, but I never listen sitting at my desk, so I don't want to invest in high end desktop setup yet. I only listen to the XC in bed at night after the kids are sleep :smile_phones:. I'm perfectly happy to upgrade from the M8 if it means better sound for the XC.
I used my XCs with Foster HP-V1 / P1 as well as HiFiM8 before moving onto AK380 - the difference is night and day - they really sing now and another great upgrade is cable from Frank at Toxic.

Oct 4, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #2,823 of 4,142
Noise isolation - anyone think the leather or vegan pads are better?

Oct 7, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #2,824 of 4,142
Has anyone tried the LCD XC with the new Pass Labs HPA-1?

First impression of the Pass HPA-1 with the LCD-X about an hour in was the big lush, detailed sound focused onto an expansive sound stage. Impressive detail retrieval using stock power cable and AudioQuestWater rca's. Will switch out to AnalysisPlus SoloCrystal rca's and AnalysisPlus UltimatePower tonite after it plays all day. The Stereophile review noted "Authority" as the immediate impression which I kept in mind as the 6 watt HPA-1 started warming up, but the immersive and detailed experience pulled me in so much, I was awash in lush, accurate playback of familiar DSF files. Looking forward to the Pre-amp section and see the HPA-1 doing double duty, although primarily added for the LCD-X headphone experience which upon 1st impression, is very enjoyable.. The Audeze scaled up nicely from the 3 year old, 4 watt Burson Soloist revealing neutral to lush, with big air detailed transparency over a wide stage. Loved it an hour in.
Jacintha/Songs of Johnny Mercer DSF, Neil Young/Storytone Flac/ Tony Furtado/Runnin Down a Dream DSF/ Jazz at the PawnShop3 DSF/

Oct 14, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #2,825 of 4,142
I'm starting to appreciate these a little more as well! I'm not too impressed with them out of my NFb10ES2 and Ember II or the onboard amp of the NFB10ES2, sound is really sterile and there's a lot of dynamics without as much of the detail... however switching to my HM901 and Pico Power I'm really enjoying the spacious detailed presentation, it's very light weight with an amazingly solid low end! I don't believe these are tuned up and I'm using a WyWires Red Cable, either way I'm really starting to dig these as a full size tras-portable! The carrying case is nice and deep with a small enough foot print that I can more easily carry these than I can my Eikon [which doesn't like solid state amps at all imo]

Oct 14, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #2,826 of 4,142
I'm starting to appreciate these a little more as well! I'm not too impressed with them out of my NFb10ES2 and Ember II or the onboard amp of the NFB10ES2, sound is really sterile and there's a lot of dynamics without as much of the detail... however switching to my HM901 and Pico Power I'm really enjoying the spacious detailed presentation, it's very light weight with an amazingly solid low end! I don't believe these are tuned up and I'm using a WyWires Red Cable, either way I'm really starting to dig these as a full size tras-portable! The carrying case is nice and deep with a small enough foot print that I can more easily carry these than I can my Eikon [which doesn't like solid state amps at all imo]

If you get a chance, try them on an Ampsandsound amp. Really super detailed with tons of dynamic range. I was skeptical at first, due to them being tube amps with a lot of voltage, but they list it as a preferred pairing and I have to agree.

Oct 14, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #2,828 of 4,142
I'll keep my eyes open 4 that one. I've only got accesses to my little APPJ PA1502 atm, my ember wasn't super impressive when paird with the XC

I agree... Not that impressive out of my Ember either.

Oct 14, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #2,829 of 4,142
This set up is really impressing me, I'm kinda dumb founded by how much better the HM901 sounds with certain headphones/amps than my NFB10ES2 does
20171014_175659_edited.jpeg

Also got a chance to listen to these with my APPJ PA 1502A, really impressed with how the SET Tube drove these! Use'd some Amprex New Stock 6v6s and a Sylvania 12SN7 Jan CHS Vt289, sound was SUPER dynamic with a lot of POWER and immediacy, sound stage was a little intimate though that and the amp has some flaws I need to fix with the sound stage

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #2,831 of 4,142
Just placed an order for a XC yesterday!
I'm looking for a amp/DAC combo for work, up to 1000$. It can't be big because it would have to fit on my desk.
Some options I've been looking at:
  • Chord Mojo
  • Audeze Deckard
  • One of the Audio GD offerings (C-2? NFB29? Master 9 seems too big)
  • Woo Audio WA7

And above 1000$:
  • Burson Audio Conductor V2+
  • Oppo HA-1

What do you think?

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #2,832 of 4,142
I'm looking for a amp/DAC combo for work, up to 1000$. It can't be big because it would have to fit on my desk.
  • Chord Mojo
  • Audeze Deckard
  • Woo Audio WA7

And above 1000$:
  • Oppo HA-1

What do you think?

I use my LCD-XC with a Woo Audio WA6 and I find that to be a really good combination.

Oct 26, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #2,833 of 4,142
  • Chord Mojo
  • Audeze Deckard
  • Woo Audio WA7

And above 1000$:
  • Oppo HA-1

What do you think?

I got the Centrance HIFI M8. It's my desktop amp/dac that I can take with me traveling. $700.

It's got everything I need. USB input from PC/MAC and smartphones (IOS, Android, Windows Mobile. Adjustable bass/treble switches. Compact and portable with 6hrs battery life. Acts as a battery bank also. Has several outputs including optical out. Most important output is XLR balanced output.

41gw4OiakIL.jpg

Oct 28, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #2,835 of 4,142
I got the Centrance HIFI M8. It's my desktop amp/dac that I can take with me traveling. $700.

It's got everything I need. USB input from PC/MAC and smartphones (IOS, Android, Windows Mobile. Adjustable bass/treble switches. Compact and portable with 6hrs battery life. Acts as a battery bank also. Has several outputs including optical out. Most important output is XLR balanced output.

41gw4OiakIL.jpg

That looks neat.
I was also thinking about the iFi Audio micro iDSD Black Label, any idea how they compare?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back